Thread: Ireland ???????

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent heknowsyouknow's Avatar

Ireland ???????

i know the superbowl is whats on everyones mind ..but whats the thoughts on this ....

The Super Bowl-bound Pittsburgh Steelers might also be Ireland bound for a regular 2011-2012 regular season game. That’s the word from the huddle after the team’s championship win over the New York Jets last weekend.

The clincher for a Steelers appearance would likely be Dan Rooney, whose family own the franchise and who is himself the current U.S. Ambassador in Dublin.

And the Echo has learned that some groundwork has already been laid for a regular season game at the GAA headquarters which has a seating capacity in excess of 80,000.

A spokeswoman for Ireland’s Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport, Mary Hanafin, told the Echo Tuesday that discussions have already been held at the official level on the potential of a NFL regular season game being played in Ireland in the fall.

“Minister Mary Hanafin would very much welcome such a move to hold a future NFL game in Ireland, which has such a proud sporting tradition. There would be a great welcome for visiting fans traveling with the teams to Ireland as well as huge interest locally, and a knock on boost for Ireland from a tourism perspective,” the spokeswoman said.

At the end of Sunday’s game against the Jets, Ambassador Rooney held aloft the Lamar Hunt trophy Rooney, who left the day to day running of the team to his son Art Rooney II in 2003, has overseen the development of a team that is now tied with the Dallas Cowboys for most Super Bowl appearances.

Of course the team has seen its share of notoriety, particularly from its quarterback, “Big” Ben Roethlisberger, who has had his own personal fumbles that include a serious motorcycle accident, and suspension this season for his behavior in a bar with a young woman.

Perhaps hearing a whisper on the Three Rivers wind, Roethlisberger recently said he would like to bring a regular NFL game to the Emerald Isle

For the last four years, the NFL has played a regular season game in London. Last October, it was the San Francisco against the Denver Broncos in Wembley Stadium. Roethlisberger was asked by the local Beaver County Times newspaper if he’d like to see the Steelers play in London.

In his response he groused a bit about the length of the flight, but came up with a way to go overseas and shorten the time in the air just a bit.

“I think it would be fun to go play in Ireland where Ambassador Rooney is. That would be kind of fun,” he said.

Big Ben’s suggestion has clearly been taken literally and to heart in Dublin where big college football games have been played before enthusiastic crowds in recent years.

Perhaps the Ireland game could be a replay against the Jets, a team that thinks green all year round
    from a paper in ireland

me would love this to happen ...am a 30 min flight away from dublin ..i went when we played the bears in 97 over there ..watched a pratice and hung with the players in the hotel as we was the uk fan club and got asked to come along

--- Added 2/3/2011 at 05:24 PM ---

http://

me and Kevin Henry from the 97 steelers ..bears in ireland ...god i look so young ..LOL

interesting, I would like it just because that is one more game that is guaranteed to be on TV. I hope for your sake they play near your home. The only game I've ever seen live was in 08 in DC. 23-6 win on Monday night...pure awesomeness watching it live.

its only a 30 min flight from london to dublin and croke parks 10 min or so out side the city so would be a friday to monday trip with the game on sun ...... so lets wait and see what happens ... but my mate is alredy looking for hotels to book up now before the rush ..LOL

Duke of 531
    all i know is that if this happens, it had better be the opposing teams home game...if the fans at heinz field lose a regular season home game...dan and art will probably have people with pitchforks and torches at their offices...not a totally bad idea but let the teams who have the trouble selling out their own stadiums give up the home games perhaps this will encourage some of that teams fair-weather fans to start actually attending their teams home games...there were at least a half a dozen teams who had to black out home games because they couldn't sell out their home stadium let them suffer the loss of a home game...go steelers

what i have seen it will be a cards home game and us the away team ..so no home game loss ..just a nice holliday trip away if ya want to pop over

Bring it on!

I've got a mate who lives near Belfast so accommodation kinda sorted, even though he's a Patriots fan I'll forgive him, to see my beloved Black n Gold.

It would need to be late October or early September though as I'm getting Married in between!!

I would love to see the Cardinals game in Ireland. It's a Cardinals home game which would give the black and gold a neutral away game which is huge because the Steelers never play well in Arizona.

Thread Information