Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the gameplan for the Super Bowl

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

What's the gameplan for the Super Bowl

If you are the Steelers on defense, you have to expect that the Packers are going to air it out early and often. They are going to try and spread out the defense and see how much success they can have. In theory they will be able to get rid of the ball quicker and keep the pressure of Rodgers. The Steelers though on defense will absolutely be expecting this so you know that Lebeau will have something in mind to counter it. Remember, other teams have spread us out and they have had some success but we were still in the game with the chance to make plays. In those cases the offense didn't make enough plays when they had chances. Too often early in the year against those good teams we settled for FG's instead of TD's..or we missed FG's that were the difference in the game. The offense has gotten better all year long and we've been much better in the redzone. Anyways though for the defense, it's about holding your coverage and getting the pressure on Rodgers to disrupt their timing.

It usually takes Lebeau and the defense a few series to settle down in a game and see what the offense is doing. Especially against an unfamiliar opponent. Regardless of what the media says, this stage is too big and the Steelers are too good to get blown up by Rodgers. The media said the same thingsin Super Bowl XLIII too.

Just because you attack through the air doesn't mean you're going to have success all the time. The pass defense has improved significantly over the year in 2010. As long as the DB's can hold their coverage and make some plays, that will make the Packers think twice about going down field so often.

On offense for the Steelers I think you go after the Packers early, test that defense and see what kind of success you can have. We will most definitely run the ball, you can guarantee that. The packers are vulnerable against the run and that's just the ticket that you want when you want to impose your will on a defense. I look for the Steelers to get Mendy going in the 1st quarter early and keep it going so the play action is a viable option all game long. However like I said the Steelers will go deep and try to work the middle of the field especially with Heath and Ward and Sanders. One thing they need to do is open up that slant play, it's money every time.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-02-2011 at 11:24 AM.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    I think the key for us is getting hits on Aaron early, and if we can get a pick or two in the first half, that GB won't be going deep downfield. I have a hard time believing that Aaron is confortable with the 5-8 yd check down. Ben has problems with this too, but our short passing game with be Mendenhall All day long.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right, the key for the defense is to always get to the QB early and often. Rodgers is good on the run and he is good at sliding in the pocket to buy himself an extra second to throw the ball. The defense will have to keep contain to get after Rodgers and knock him down. This will be a game where the secondary needs to step up as well, holding their coverage longer than they might be used too depending on how well the pass rush is getting there.

The ways you counter a QB like Rodgers is to confuse him, send multiple players from different positions. Generally turn up the heat before he can allow his WR's to get down field. He is a quality QB, one of the best in the game obviously and he knows how to beat a defense but still though he can be beat, he's not super man. The Steeler defense will find ways to get to him.

My Mood
    Cool
    I'd like to see the special teams step it up in this game. In a close game this could make a huge difference. A runback would be nice but I'd settle for good field position when they kick or punt to us. And we can't afford to let them bring anything back on us either.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    On offense the Steelers need to establish the run early and then work in some play-action passes.............If not deep to Wallace then over the middle to Miller which should be there all game......The Packers were burnt by play-action in last years game and Miller scorched them for 7-8 catches for 110+ yards.......I would work in the RB's in the passing game as well......

As for the Defense putting pressure on Rodgers is the key no doubt......But I don't think the Pack can spread this defense like the Pats did....Yes they have the QB and WR's but at the same time they don't have the OL.....Their OT's stink at pass protection and Rodgers isn't that type of QB....He is more like Ben than Brady......He likes to throw deep and take sacks at times as well.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Pressure Rodgers pressure Rodgers pressure Rodgers. I realize he's mobile, like Ben, but he's also young. Get a few sacks in there, get in his face, he'll start to panic. Guaranteed. I don't really fear Starks that much. For the rush, just let the front 7 do what they've been doing this entire year. Starks hasn't been challenged yet in the playoffs like he will be on Sunday.

Take the 15 yard penalty and smash him early, he'll be rattled and not the same!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    On offense the Steelers need to establish the run early and then work in some play-action passes.............If not deep to Wallace then over the middle to Miller which should be there all game......The Packers were burnt by play-action in last years game and Miller scorched them for 7-8 catches for 110+ yards.......I would work in the RB's in the passing game as well......

As for the Defense putting pressure on Rodgers is the key no doubt......But I don't think the Pack can spread this defense like the Pats did....Yes they have the QB and WR's but at the same time they don't have the OL.....Their OT's stink at pass protection and Rodgers isn't that type of QB....He is more like Ben than Brady......He likes to throw deep and take sacks at times as well.....

Another thing about the Packers, when they played against top flight defenses like the Bears, they had their share of struggles. Rodgers can be rattled and get out of sync. Some are saying that game was a fluke, but you can bet the Steelers will be watching film of that game and every game that defenses had success against Rodgers. The Packers offensive line is good but not great, I fully expect both Harrison and Woodley to be able to pressure him. He is good on the run so when they get the chance to get him on the ground, they can't miss.

I think on Defense do what the Pats did to the Rams back in the day. Be more physical than them in every aspect of the game. Do not stop being physical. When you get to Rodgers, do what the Saints did to Favre. On Offense I say control the time of possession, run the ball, and put the game in Bens hands. Play a little sandlot offense.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I think blitz Rogers even if he completes a few passes early, it will still be to our advantage. He doesnt trust his o-line and its clear from watching him. Build on that distrust even if it costs us a touchdown.

Thread Information