Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals fess up

Bookmark and Share
    Stuck in damned cincinnati ..Raised in western pa

Cool Bengals fess up

I just read this article in the cincinnati enquirer..very surprised the Bengals fess up..

On Sunday, everybody did their job except the Bengals.

The result of the Denver-San Francisco game late Sunday put an exclamation point on the Bengals' season. And it made this fact painfully apparent: They have only themselves to blame for missing the playoffs.

Kansas City defeated Jacksonville. The 49ers upset the Broncos. All the Bengals had to do was beat Pittsburgh and they would have been headed to Indianapolis for a wild-card playoff game on Saturday. Instead they lost 23-17 in overtime.
    ADVERTISEMENT

It's the Bengals' fault. The schedule-makers and the NFL are not to blame. Neither are the police officers who arrested eight Bengals this past calendar year. Or the media.

It's a combination of over-confident, albeit talented, players who - by the admission of their head coach - are still more concerned about "me" than "team." Blame sits at the feet of a head coach whose game management, timeout usage, personnel selection and apparent lack of control in his team's locker room are contributing to undisciplined and inconsistent play on the field.

When Shayne Graham's 39-yard field goal attempt veered wide right with 12 seconds left in regulation, the Bengals missed another chance to play in January.

In overtime, Pittsburgh won the coin toss and needed all of three plays to drive 78 yards for the winning touchdown. Santonio Holmes beat cornerback Tory James on a short slant pattern, avoided James' feeble attempt at a tackle, eluded safety Madieu Williams and outran linebacker Brian Simmons.

The season ended at 8-8 for both teams.

"We've got to make a tackle," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

So ends a tumultuous 12-month span for Cincinnati that started with quarterback Carson Palmer's career-threatening knee injury in the playoff loss to Pittsburgh Jan. 8 and grew increasingly strange with Chad Johnson's alleged locker-room meltdown and Chris Henry's almost comical accumulation of arrests.

Lewis talked about character in April. Then he drafted two players, defensive end Frostee Rucker and linebacker A.J. Nicholson, with checkered backgrounds - just as he drafted Henry and now-suspended middle linebacker Odell Thurman the year before.

Two storylines dominated the offseason and spilled into the season: Palmer's dignified and admirable effort to return from injury and the team's series of arrests off the field. The Bengals ended this season in the middle of the pack in the standings, but they led the NFL - by a score of 8-5 over San Diego - in players arrested.

"It hurts when you lose players to suspension," Palmer said Sunday. "I feel like the media makes a bigger deal about how it affects the team than in reality."

Still, there were comments Sunday from players about how changes had to be made and how players and coaches had to do their jobs better in 2007.

Lewis was asked if he had changes in mind. "None that I would sit here and talk about," he said. "We'll be better. That's all."

Every season brings change. There could be a lot of new faces on Cincinnati's roster in 2007. Don't look for James or guard Eric Steinbach to return. Cornerback Deltha O'Neal might join his buddy James on the street. Tight end Reggie Kelly and defensive end Justin Smith can be unrestricted free agents in March, though they hardly are part of the problem. Rock-solid 13-year offensive lineman Rich Braham retired last week. Linebacker David Pollack, a first-round pick in 2005, broke his neck and faces surgery and a possible early retirement.

What needs to be done?

"If I had the answer to that I'd be a head coach," said left tackle Levi Jones, who had to leave Sunday's game in the second half because his injured knee flared up. "I don't know. For whatever reason, we don't get it done. We need to own up, be accountable (and) get it right.

"Whatever guys we bring back next year, whatever guys part, whatever happens, we need to get it better and we need a better (frame of mind)."

Jones is headed to Los Angeles to have his doctor examine his knee.

On the other side of the ball, either the pass defense or the run defense takes the day off, it seems. Sunday, the Steelers ran 45 times for 207 yards, including 134 yards and two touchdowns by tailback Willie Parker.

"They just ran it down our throat and whipped our (butts)," Smith said.

In its final three series, Pittsburgh gained 226 yards of total offense. In their first seven possessions, the Bengals had just 127.

"A bumpy, rocky road, all season, as the season progressed, and also today," said Bengals tailback Rudi Johnson, who ran just 13 times for 47 yards. "The game today is a reflection of the season. Up and down. And, in the end, everything catches up with you."

Inconsistency and selfishness were the words of the day. The Bengals won three games in a row, lost five of six, won four in a row and lost three in a row.

Palmer lobbied after the game for the team to re-sign tight end Kelly and third-down back Kenny Watson. They're the type of players Willie Anderson, the team's right tackle and conscience, said the Bengals need more of.

"Sometimes you have to get smart, selfless players who understand football," Anderson said. "He might not run the fastest 40-yard dash, but he knows the angles, or how to block a certain way."

And someone who, as Braham mentioned in his retirement news conference last week, goes to work, works hard and goes straight home at night.

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert, 1990 HOF Induction Speech

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Good article but its all talk by the Bungholes....we'll see next year if they actually clean up their act or not. The League needs to clean their act up to. Give a coach a reasonable amount of time to deal with a player who got busted or in trouble with the law. If the coach does nothing the League needs to punish the player AND the coach for not doing anything. I've read to many times where another lesser known player gets in trouble but these bunghole players keep on playin. Crazy stuff.....we'll see if Marvin and the Bungholes can walk the walk next year.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    All the Bengals had to do was beat Pittsburgh

Oh Well, didnt happen, we played for pride!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just goes to show who's the better team overall, and that when we have nothing to play for but pride...to the bengals that is nothing, but to us, it's everything.

House of Steel
    Last Night was our Super Bowl and we took it to stride to make sure the Bengals wasn't going in the postseason. They was unprepared for it. I am sure all that cocky trash talking was a warrant for something to come back and bite them where it hurts the most. Yesterday was it. Hoochiemama got his head bitten off and Palmer played running chicken all day. Both Johnsons got dominated. We played with more heart and passion yesterday than we had all season. It was great to end the year on a very high note.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well since we weren't going to the playoffs it was nice that we could end the Bengals season (again!) as well!

Beat the Steelers

Cincy always finds a way to lose but this time they were out played by a better team. Now if we only had a team up on the lake that can at least put up some kind of effort. Our division needs some repairs, if the Browns can't feld a team then maybe the NFL should step in.
    If there was a farm league in the NFL the Browns would be playing in it.
    The Browns of old are long gone. The first mistake they did when returning to the NFL was to keep the name. Hell they started out new and it seems that they want to do this same thing every year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The problem with Cincy is that everybody on that team thinks they are number 1. There is no team effort, it's all about me. As long as you have that attitude you're never going to win anything. That ultimately falls on Marvin Lewis.

If Im that front office, Im taking a serious look at everybody on that team and making some tough decisions about key players, that is for sure.

House of Steel
    I heard the Bengals are going to have some fresh new faces for 2007, I could see them on a rebuilding terms again. They got quite a few free agents on that roster. I would start cutting the troublemakers off. Marvin Lewis really does need to put the discipline down and tell those players, look, I am not putting up with your BS attitude nor will I tolerate your criminal behaviors.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Players like Chris Henry have got to go, IMO. Yes he's got a huge upside and he's a big talent that really compliments Chad and Whozurmama, but his attitude sucks *** and he hurts the team when he's not there because he's suspened for another dumb *** decision.

Thread Information