Thread: Ben & Heath developing a nice rapport

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Ben & Heath developing a nice rapport

This is awesome to see! Heath is turning into the go to receive that everyone thought Mark Bruener would be for us. Bruener was an awesome TE for us his entire career and by far the best blocking TE in the business. He set alot of records with the Huskies, receiving wise but just never got the chance to fully develop those skills with us. Now we have Heath and he and Ben are just clicking and firing on all cylinders. Have a target that big and strong that catches everyting thrown his way is a lifesaver !

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06226/713412-66.stm

Monday, August 14, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Ben Roethlisberger was not supposed to drop back deep in the pocket in the game Saturday, not supposed to let some young Reggie White wannabe have a shot at smashing his pumpkin.

But then, as most of Pittsburgh knows, Roethlisberger does not follow well-defined paths (such as those which supposedly do not take rookie quarterbacks to 13-0 records, or 23-year-old quarterbacks to Super Bowl victories).

So, the quarterback who two months ago nearly stopped an entire city in its tracks over a motorcycle accident, not only dropped back to pass, he ducked pass rushers, scrambled away from a safety blitz and, on one nine-play series, recreated everything that has been Big Ben for two seasons.

Everything but score, that is.

It was a good, easy stretch before he embarks on more playing time Saturday against Minnesota in Heinz Field.

And there was a moment during that nine-play series against the Arizona Cardinals, on a scramble, that should become more familiar as he and the season progress.

The Cardinals, showing no leniency toward Roethlisberger in his first action, sent Adrian Wilson on a safety blitz. Roethlisberger faked a handoff to Willie Parker, then moved to his right and deftly eluded Wilson while still looking down the field. He saw tight end Heath Miller streak open. Roethlisberger threw on the run and hit Miller for an 11-yard gain and a first down.

Miller will be a prime receiver for Roethlisberger this season. The team's first-round draft picks from 2004 and 2005 built a rapport last season that should become more evident in this one.

Miller, as a rookie, finished second to Hines Ward last season among Steelers receivers with 39 catches and second among receivers with six touchdown receptions after he had only two catches in his first three games because his coaches wanted him to know he had to block first, run pass routes second.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    I think with the lose of Randle and Jerome and the inexperience of Holmes; Miller might become a huge part in the offense this season.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I sure hope he is. I can see him getting being a big part. I loved this kid when we drafted him and home we actually use our TE's for some big plays this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's funny when we drafted him last year, I didn't think there was any way in hell that we were gonna take a TE in the first round...but Im sure glad we got him !

Heath Miller is awesome ! I'm definately glad we picked him up. He can be the best TE in the league if he continues to progress at the rate he has been.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchieJD
    Heath Miller is awesome ! I'm definately glad we picked him up. He can be the best TE in the league if he continues to progress at the rate he has been.
    I think as long as Antonio Gates is in the league he wont be the best but I'd still take him over 20 or 25 of the other tight ends in the league and its awesome we have him and hes so young.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think Gates is something special and with Gonzalez coming into the twilight of his career Gates is the man to beat...but I'll take Heath as you mentioned over just about all of them !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Give Miller some time. You never know what you will have with these young players. I think a lot depends on how we use him. Gates is a major part of the Chargers O.

Thread Information