Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THANK YOU KEVIN COLBERT!

Bookmark and Share

THANK YOU KEVIN COLBERT!

For what it's worth, the entire Steelers Nation owes one Mr. Kevin Colbert a great vote of gratitude for what we are now enjoying as dedicated fans. Mr. Colbert is the man who has lead the team who drafts the players we all so greatly enjoy watching as they once again vie for another SB title! Here is a list of his first round draft picks. He's also adept at getting value deep into the draft rounds.

2010 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
    2009 Evander (Ziggy) Hood DE Missouri
    2008 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
    2007 Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State
    2006 Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State
    2005 Heath Miller TE Virginia
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (OH)
    2003 Troy Polomalu S USC
    2002 Kendall Simmons OL Auburn
    2001 Casey Hampton DT Texas
    2000 Plaxico Burress WR Michigan St.

Not bad for a list of first round picks! 8 of 11 still Steelers and all have had impact!

Please refer to the Post Gazette for an interesting read on what should be one of your favorite Steelers of all time!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10109/1051622-66.stm
    HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

meh....hes ok, its not hard to get good picks in the first....hes been really lacking in the rest of the rounds for the most part. i wouldnt lose sleep if he went elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    meh....hes ok, its not hard to get good picks in the first....hes been really lacking in the rest of the rounds for the most part. i wouldnt lose sleep if he went elsewhere
    Hmmm... The Steelers have the best success rate of drafting in the league. Perhaps you would have prefered he trade for Pennington rather than draft Burress. Here is a little something to think about.

"Among Colbert's successes in those rounds or later are Ike Taylor (fourth round), Brett Keisel (seventh), Larry Foote (fourth), Chris Kemoeatu (sixth) and Willie Colon (fourth), all Super Bowl starters. William Gay (fifth) became a starter last year. Free agent rookies Colbert has signed included Chris Hoke, James Harrison and Willie Parker.

He has also never missed on a pick in the first round, never had a bust with the most valuable and costly choice in each draft. That cannot be said of any previous decade of the Steelers, dating back to when Chuck Noll arrived in 1969 (although they missed on only one in the 1970s, running back Greg Hawthorne)."

I for one am happy that list is wearing the Black and Gold.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by NHStlrfan View Post
    "Among Colbert's successes in those rounds or later are Ike Taylor (fourth round), Brett Keisel (seventh), Larry Foote (fourth), Chris Kemoeatu (sixth) and Willie Colon (fourth), all Super Bowl starters. William Gay (fifth) became a starter last year. Free agent rookies Colbert has signed included Chris Hoke, James Harrison and Willie Parker.
    you did not just throw Willie Gay into that list..

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    you did not just throw Willie Gay into that list..
    No, I didn't, that was a quote from the article I was referring to. Just listing off the rest of the middle rounders he's aquired. Gay would not be one I would tout but then again he is playing better. Not that it woudl take a lot for him to be playing better.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Come on Train, last year's draft even had you excited

i know i get attacked whenever i criticize colbert, the drafting they do, or the rooneys, or the coaching in general.....but many of those players in the mid rounds that contribute to our team as starters arent that good...keisel, woodley, ike....sure

kemo, colon, gay...meh

now lets think about coclough, keenan lewis, joe burnett, aq Shipley, frank summers, trai essex, kendrell bell, lee mays, kendrick clancey, hank poteat, matt saeth, ryan mcbean, camereon stephenson and other mid round failures....we may win games with **** bags like foote, randle el, stapleton, and carey davis starting but we win in spite of them not because of them....no way we would touch the superbowl with some of these rosters if it wasnt for ben. id love to anyone win a game with the misfits he had blocking for him....hartwig and stapleton as the center and RG is just dismal

this team (along with many teams) draft well in the first round....in the 3rd-7th though they suck and in FA they suck...think back to pre ben and the heart ache....now think post ben and the triumph...the difference? yeah...ben...not kevin colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Come on Train, last year's draft even had you excited
    last years class was delicious mostly due to my love for pouncey

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    this team (along with many teams) draft well in the first round....in the 3rd-7th though they suck and in FA they suck...think back to pre ben and the heart ache....now think post ben and the triumph...the difference? yeah...ben...not kevin colbert.
    This is said of all the teams. Would Indy win without Manning? No way! Everyone thinks if you don't draft Tom Brady in the late rounds every year you're a failure. Facts are the Steelers get more value in the draft than anyone else.
    The point here is look at what they did with Donnahoe then what they've done since. They've done better than anyone else. Of course they could have traded that shot for Burres and gotten Pennington! Now that would have been a great thing. Without who you have making the decisions now you'd be in DC or Tampa!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    But missing on your first rounders can set you back big time....Bears always bomb on their first rounders......You're right though in overall Colbert needs to hit more late round gems.....But I think we're at least starting to see more the past few years.....This past class looks to be one of the best overall but time will tell.....

But you're right some of his 2nd day picks have been flat out terrible.........The 2004 class sticks out very bad.........Yea Ben was a great pick first round pick and Starks hasn't been bad as a 3rd rounder........But Colclough was a terrible 2nd round pick......There was also clowns like Bo Lacy and Matt Kranchick in that class....lol Bo Lacy.....WTF....lol The Steelers also took some long snapper that year but his name escapes me at the moment.....

Thread Information