Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THANK YOU KEVIN COLBERT!

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by NHStlrfan View Post
    This is said of all the teams. Would Indy win without Manning? No way! Everyone thinks if you don't draft Tom Brady in the late rounds every year you're a failure. Facts are the Steelers get more value in the draft than anyone else.
    The point here is look at what they did with Donnahoe then what they've done since. They've done better than anyone else. Of course they could have traded that shot for Burres and gotten Pennington! Now that would have been a great thing. Without who you have making the decisions now you'd be in DC or Tampa!
    steelers getting more value in the draft is a skewed statistic....its because they are so stubborn they will plug in bad draft picks and play them (ESPECIALLY in the cowher era) rather than go out in FA and get role players....

i dont even care about the LATE round picks, our roster is pretty set so from year to year you cant expect all the rookies to make the team....but the high level of 2nd and 3rd round failures is a concern and dont lie to yourself up until 3 weeks ago hood was terrible too....hopefully his surge of brilliance continues from here on out

the colts drafting is terrible btw, bill polian gets manning and edge and he gets deemed the kind of all things drafting, they win because of peyton and only because of peyton and he cant even do it on his own at this point. im not saying colbert is josh mcdaniels (LOL) but he isnt exactly the epitome of greatness either...some seriously questionable reaches have come from him, not so much in the first round though

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    steelers getting more value in the draft is a skewed statistic....its because they are so stubborn they will plug in bad draft picks and play them (ESPECIALLY in the cowher era) rather than go out in FA and get role players....

i dont even care about the LATE round picks, our roster is pretty set so from year to year you cant expect all the rookies to make the team....but the high level of 2nd and 3rd round failures is a concern and dont lie to yourself up until 3 weeks ago hood was terrible too....hopefully his surge of brilliance continues from here on out

the colts drafting is terrible btw, bill polian gets manning and edge and he gets deemed the kind of all things drafting, they win because of peyton and only because of peyton and he cant even do it on his own at this point. im not saying colbert is josh mcdaniels (LOL) but he isnt exactly the epitome of greatness either...some seriously questionable reaches have come from him, not so much in the first round though
    He has hit on two third round WR's the past two years.........Hope Worilds pans out or he will be another Zo Jackson or Ricardo Colclough type failure in the 2nd round........He did hit on McFadden in the 2nd round back in 2005.......

You can't hit on them all but I think the past few years we are seeing more late round players being contributors for a Super Bowl team.........Willie Gay, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, DJ Johnson........

He isn't perfect and I wouldn't say he is great but I think Colbert is better then most........

i dont have any problems with wallace or sanders....worilds was an ok pick i guess, not my first choice there but not a bad one i dont htink.....the problem i do have is with panic picks like urbik and lewis....just sad wastes

Colbert isn't the be all, end all GM; however, I think he does moderately well in the draft. There have been a lot of poor picks, but there have also been a lot of big time players. While I would love to see a bunch of home run drafts, that is not going to happen. At least he is hitting on one or two quality players each year and he isn't just squandering the first round picks like some other organizations.

Hell, this team is winning and they don't do free agency, so he has got to be doing something right.

But they still win. Even Ben was a draft pick so saying they win because of Ben just says they win because they draft well. Seriously, the draft is difficult at best. Looking through the NFL as a whole, there are more Steelers draft picks making teams and impact on those teams than others. In this case we went from poor to good. Look at the 10 years from 1990-1999 vs 2000-2010. Just a bit more value there.
    HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Colbert isn't the be all, end all GM; however, I think he does moderately well in the draft. .
    exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by NHStlrfan View Post
    But they still win. Even Ben was a draft pick so saying they win because of Ben just says they win because they draft well. Seriously, the draft is difficult at best. Looking through the NFL as a whole, there are more Steelers draft picks making teams and impact on those teams than others. In this case we went from poor to good. Look at the 10 years from 1990-1999 vs 2000-2010. Just a bit more value there.
    think about before ben though...the team was good but couldnt get over the hump...thank god he fell to us (he really shouldnt have) they didnt have a choice but to draft him...they were definitely poised to take shawn andrews there as ben, eli, and rivers were all expected to be gone.

i dont hate him or want him gone....but hes really not that important to the team to get a thread in all caps thanking him for being god in the form of a director of football operations

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    i dont have any problems with wallace or sanders....worilds was an ok pick i guess, not my first choice there but not a bad one i dont htink.....the problem i do have is with panic picks like urbik and lewis....just sad wastes
    I agree....Along with Zo Jackson, Bo Lacy, Ricardo Colclough......bunch more......But I do think Colbert is solid overall....I wouldn't lose sleep if he left either but do think he is better then most GM's out there.......

My Mood
    Love
    This fan is not complaining at all. You guys make exellent points.

exactly

think about before ben though...the team was good but couldnt get over the hump...thank god he fell to us (he really shouldnt have) they didnt have a choice but to draft him...they were definitely poised to take shawn andrews there as ben, eli, and rivers were all expected to be gone.

i dont hate him or want him gone....but hes really not that important to the team to get a thread in all caps thanking him for being god in the form of a director of football operations
    Never said he was "god in the form of a football director". If he were that we'd have 45 guys on the Pro Bowl roster! Just giving credit where credit is due. History shows he's done better than most and certainly better than the 10 years prior to his arrival. The teams built through the 90's relied nearly entirely on free agency spending more on old talent. Would your rather he make picks like New England? Other than a freak pick of Brady they really haven't done anything. Only real contribution from them again as you point out is hitting a home run at QB. But then again we can't all pick Chad Pennington or Ryan Leaf now can we.
    HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

Bill Polian's drafting is in essence Peyton Manning's drafting. I guarantee you he has the sole influence over their draft, just like their playcalling. There is absolutely no reason to draft a pass catching RB in the first round like Donald Brown and a WR like Anthony Gonzalez when your offense already at such a high level.

Thread Information