Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Promote from within or New outside face?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Promote from within or New outside face?

We've seen and talked about what the media thinks the Rooney's will do, and what their options are, however what would you rather do IF Bill Cowher resigns as our HC after the game on sunday?

I think there are pros and cons to both to be honest. The benefit of promoting from within is that the coach already knows our system, is in good with the Rooney's, understand how and why they go about doing what they do. The players already know them, and the transition is generally easier all around.

Bringing someone in from the outside can be good though too because they bring fresh new ideas, a new staff, and can really jump start an organization; similar to what Sean Payton did with the Saints. However the transition can alos be a really long one, and take time to develop, meanwhile the team struggles to learn a new system, terminology, and generally get used to playing under a new regime.

Personally I'd rather promote from within, but then again BC was brought in from the outside to replace Noll and the rest is history !

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I'd like to see Whiz get a shot at HC but then we need an OC. If we get a HC from outside somewhere what happens to Whiz? will he stay or seek out a HC position somewhere else? Either way we will still need a OC. The Rooneys I'm sure have already made a list of prospects in case they do hire like they did with Cowher. Its going to be interesting, the main thing is to have enough time to adjust. Is there ever enough time??????

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Official God steelcurtain09's Avatar
    i thought Jon Gruden was a prospect when the Steelers hired Cowher
    i think he would still be a good choice
    only problem is he said hes stayin in Tampa

House of Steel
    Kirk Frenetz is a good choice out of Iowa. My suggestion would be to stay in the house and permote either Russ Grimm or Kevin Whisenhunt as the HC. I don't know who on the outside would make a good candidate. I really would rather not put any names in there. I know the Rooneys will probably interview some candidates in the minority sector. PLEASE NO DENNIS GREEN!!! Art Shell might be on his way out already from what the rumors are saying. Art Shell wouldn't do well in Pittsburgh I know that for a fact. There will be some coaching vacancies in the NFL. Mike Martz wouldn't be good for Pittsburgh either. Jon Gruden, I don't think he would be successful here either besides he is happy in Tampa. Very interesting situation, but deep in my heart, I wish we wasn't talking about this cause it is bothering me to know Cowher has been here 15 years and been very successful at this.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They will have to interview some minority candidates, the Rooney's were the main cog in pushing that rule to go into affect with the NFL.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    The Steeler mentality is not for everyone and not inside of everyone. The people already in our system have that and know how things work around here. We also want to make sure we're getting someone who'll be here for the long haul, not some college guy who will be here for 3 years, figure he doesn't like it (and we have to sit through more 8-8 seasons) and the leaves. I'd say stick with Whiz or Grimm.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

I would prefer to see someone outside of the organization that brings a fresh view to the team without changing the major philosophies. Preferably some assistant coach or college coach, none of these retreads like Martz, Green, Shell, or Gruden
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    I would like to see Whiz be the hjead coach and i heard that the Defensive Cornidator for te Bears might be our next head coach

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Well if Whiz doesn't get the job here he'll probably try to find a head coaching job somewhere else. He turned down the Raiders last just to wait for Cowher to step down.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

If I was a fan of another team looking for a head coach I would be scared to death to hire Whiz, his play calling hasnt exactally been even mediocre this year... If I see another 3rd down screen I might puke
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Thread Information