Thread: Is this our swan song?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Fine

Is this our swan song?

With the age of our Defense and the possible retirement of several Steelers is this our Swan Song?
    If/Once we win the Super Bowl the following Players could retire.
    Ward,Batch,Smith,Farrior,Hoke,Keisel,Hampton and Dick LeBeau. Also remember that Harrison mentioned it because he was upset over fines( he's no spring chicken) and Possibly Troy P who's dealing with injuries.
    The Steelers may be in a Rebuilding/Retooling year with Retirements and Free Agency.
    What are your thoughts?

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The biggest key to our team is Ben, granted we will miss some of those players and it would hurt for a while but our drafts are getting better and we do have some young players stepping up. I feel no matter what happens, whether it's retirement or players leaving for FA, the Steelers will always field a competitive team.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I really think only Batch will retire out of that group you mentioned.

I can see Hines Ward being somewhat Brett Favre like and just keep playing. I think it would take quite a bit for the front office to cut Ward. He's still a vital piece of the puzzle, not to mention a great mentor to young players.

Aaron Smith is probably the 2nd most likely to retire, but I think he plays atleast one more year. He missed the better part of this season. So Super Bowl or not, I'm not sure that's how he'll want to go out. Then again, he might just be tired of going through these injuries.

Dick LeBeau might end up being the Joe Paterno of the NFL.

Hampton and Farrior I'm sure will consider retirement, that might be more up to the Steelers front office.

Chris Hoke has a lot more football left in him.

i think farrior is the most likely to hang them up. maybe ward.

and no i dont think this is it because we have the key pieces in place with a great group of LBs, an elite QB, young RB and young WRs. this may be it for this speicifc group, but this team will remain competitive after all the old guys are gone

Win the Super Bowl and I'll be so ecstatic I won't give a **** who retires! Live for today!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    With the age of our Defense and the possible retirement of several Steelers is this our Swan Song?
    If/Once we win the Super Bowl the following Players could retire.
    Ward,Batch,Smith,Farrior,Hoke,Keisel,Hampton and Dick LeBeau. Also remember that Harrison mentioned it because he was upset over fines( he's no spring chicken) and Possibly Troy P who's dealing with injuries.
    The Steelers may be in a Rebuilding/Retooling year with Retirements and Free Agency.
    What are your thoughts?
    History, dating back to 1969 does not indicate this will be any sort of swan song. 15 AFCCG and counting. That's 1/3 of all AFCCG played. That takes a commitment to long term winning. The Steelers are the best drafting team since 1969. Look at the picks they've had over the years. Not only #1 but well into their draft order. Even Ben was overlooked by most of the NFL.

Hampton, Miller, Ward, Roethlesberger, Polamalu, Pouncey and on and on. They'll be competing for a title as long as the Rooney's own this team. And the most unlikely thing to happen is the Rooney's no longer owning this team!
    HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

My Mood
    Fine
    I love all the answers of those who responded. The Steelers will always be competitive and I cant wait for Sunday night. I think Smith if he can play a little in The Super Bowl will hang it up do to injuries. He's going to want to hold his children and one day grand children.However, I'd love him to come coach. Farrior & Ward are the other 2 who might retire. Farrior because of age and he is having an AWESOME YEAR(go out on top) and Hines has already been talking to Jerome about retirement. I can see Hines doing a FAVRE.LOL THANKS

Thread Information