Thread: If BC leaves; Captains want "in-house" successor

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

If BC leaves; Captains want "in-house" successor

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06362/749503-66.stm
    Thursday, December 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the game Sunday is Bill Cowher's last as the Steelers' coach, the team's captains would like to see the team promote from within.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, also the Steelers' assistant head coach, are considered strong candidates to replace Cowher if he steps down after the season.

"Of course, you would love to stay in house," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "The transition ... the coaching staff knows you and you see some of the same faces."

Guard Alan Faneca agreed with his fellow offensive co-captain.

"If there is a change, you'd always like to see a guy you know and have a feeling for. But, if something happens, you never know which way it's going to go."

Continuity on a team that won the Super Bowl fewer than 11 months ago, plus familiarity with systems on offense and defense were cited as big factors for promoting a Steelers assistant to the head-coaching job.

"I would rather keep it in house, keep it familiar with people you know," said linebacker James Farrior, a defensive co-captain. "We wouldn't have to change so much; the systems would probably stay pretty much the same, you might have a few, little differences. Hopefully, the coaching staff would stay together."

Cowher has run a 3-4 defense throughout his 15 seasons as Steelers coach and four different defensive coordinators, including two stints by Dick LeBeau. His offensive styles have changed through the years, from a brute power offense in the early seasons to more balanced offenses, based on the styles of quarterbacks and running backs he has had.

Whisenhunt and Grimm work together on the game plans. Whisenhunt calls the plays from the press box during the game. Grimm, who coaches from the sideline, helps make the adjustments at halftime.

Both men have turned down chances to be head coaches in the NFL.

Grimm was interviewed three years ago by the Chicago Bears but withdrew his name when he was told which assistant coaches he would have to keep. He was a candidate for some jobs last season, including one in Detroit, but the Lions did not want to wait until after the Super Bowl for him.

Whisenhunt might have had the job in St. Louis, but the Rams weren't willing to wait, either. He turned down a chance to become the Oakland Raiders' coach after they interviewed him. His name has surfaced in Atlanta as a candidate to replace Jim Mora if, as expected, he is fired soon after the season ends.

Whisenhunt, 44, was born in Atlanta, played at Georgia Tech and played his first four seasons in the NFL as a tight end for the Falcons.

First things first with the Steelers, though -- there will be no candidates for the head coaching job unless Cowher vacates it, and none of the team captains said he knows what his head coach will do.

"I don't think anyone in this locker room wants it to be his last game," said defensive co-captain Joey Porter. "In situations like that, not one of us has an impact on how that's going to go. You just kind of stay out of that situation.

"That's the man's business and, hopefully he's here and until he tells me anything different, that's what I'm planning on."
    IF Cowher does leave, those 2 are the likely strong candidates for the successor, I'd almost be willing to be money one of those 2 would get it but there is a chance someone else would take over from the outside.

House of Steel
    Who you think would be an outside candidate, Matt? I hate to discuess this anymore than a Steelers fan wants to, but damn, this is getting bothersome having to play a waiting game to know if Cowher is coming back. AZ thinks strongly on him coming back.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well we won't have to wait much longer. You know no matter what happens in the game this weekend the media will only be asking him one thing after it....lol

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Well from what I just read; Cowher will let it be known soon after this weeks game. but The thing that bothers me is why Didn't the Rooneys offer him more money instead of just allowing him to leave
    But, on the other hand, seeing that Cowher is ready to walk away with even 1 more year left on his contract, shows how considerant the Rooneys are for the decision the BC makes. To bad that things will be different
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    My only problem with the two asst, Wiz and Grimm, I wanted a defensive minded head coach? Just my two pennies

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    My only problem with the two asst, Wiz and Grimm, I wanted a defensive minded head coach? Just my two pennies
    I agree with you Cleve. I would like to see them find another young defensive minded coach like they did when they hired BC. Dick isn't getting any younger and we will need help on that side sooner than later. That's nothing against Wiz or Grimm. I'd just like to see us find a young coach with some energy. Something this team seemed to lack this year.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I agree with you Cleve. I would like to see them find another young defensive minded coach like they did when they hired BC. Dick isn't getting any younger and we will need help on that side sooner than later. That's nothing against Wiz or Grimm. I'd just like to see us find a young coach with some energy. Something this team seemed to lack this year.
    I think Dick will be right behind BC if he decides to go
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Well from what I just read; Cowher will let it be known soon after this weeks game. but The thing that bothers me is why Didn't the Rooneys offer him more money instead of just allowing him to leave
    But, on the other hand, seeing that Cowher is ready to walk away with even 1 more year left on his contract, shows how considerant the Rooneys are for the decision the BC makes. To bad that things will be different
    There is little if any doubt, IMO, that the 2 sides have talked about whether he wants to extend it or not after the season. BC wouldnt keep the Rooney's completely in the dark about something like this. Believe me, they have been talking whether they publicize it or not.

House of Steel
    You have any names you like to mention, Capt, on the outside? Trust me there aren't too many candidates I would enjoy. I know we need a Defensive Minded Coach, I would agree with the majority here that brought that up. I think Whiz or Grimm may get the nod for the job.

i would love to see marvin lewis, it would take a lot to get him out of cincy though.

Thread Information