Thread: The time is at hand, seize the moment!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The time is at hand, seize the moment!

After such an epic game on Saturday night, still fresh in the minds of all the Steeler Nation, we get yet another bit of good news! The road Super Bowl XLV comes through Heinz Field! You can’t ask for anything more if you are the Pittsburgh Steelers right now. You work all year, overcoming all the adversity and secure the 2nd seed in the postseason. You get a week off, your arch rival comes to town talking all the trash they can, and end up on the short end of a 31-24 Steelers victory. You get an extra day to rest, and now you find you that you get to stay at home all week and play in front of the hometown fans for the right to head to Dallas.

The effort it took to get to this point is well documented, arguably one of the most tumultuous offseasons in team history served as great motivation for this team. All the thoughts of Ben’s troubles are long gone in the hearts and minds of fans as our beloved Black n Gold sit on the cusp of their 3rd Super Bowl in 7 years. There were many question marks heading into the 2010 season, not the least of which was the defense. After a year where they were down by normal standards and possibly on their last leg for many veterans, they responded by being the #2 defense in the NFL overall and #1 against the run. Another question mark was the Wide Receivers. With Santonio finally making one too many mistakes and former #2 draft pick Limas Sweed a bust and on IR, there was cause for concern. Low and behold, 2 rookies named Emmanuel Sanders (3rd round) and Antonio Brown (6th round) quieted the doubters with a combined for 44 catches to pick up the slack, many of which were big time receptions at key parts of their games. Oh and a 2nd year speedster named Mike Wallace proved his 2009 rookie year of 39 receptions for 756 yds. and 6 TD’s was just the beginning. Wallace finished the regular season with 60 catches for 1,257 yds. and 10 TD’s. A feat that should not go unnoticed considering the venerable Hines Ward is still on the roster and as important as ever to this young crop of pass catchers.

Here the Steelers sit, ready to try and realize another dream next Sunday night. Lest we get ahead of ourselves here, there is still work to be done. The Steelers know all too well what it’s like to be in the AFC Championship game and come up empty handed. That in itself should be enough motivation for this game. Next Sunday night will mark their 15th appearance in this setting. As we recall, they were 0-2 at Heinz Field when playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl under former Head Coach Bill Cowher (he did win at Three Rivers Stadium vs the Colts in 1995). Each time they were bested by the New England Patriots. The NFL's golden boy is now out of the equation though, who oh by the way has now lost 3 straight playoff games. However under Tomlin they are 1-0 after defeating the Ravens en route to Super Bowl XLIII. The Jets now stand in the way of the Steelers plans. This Steeler team is noticeably different than those teams of the recent past. Gone is Neil O'donnell, with the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust offense. With the weapons that Ben Roethlisberger has at his disposal this team can play smash mouth or light up the scoreboard. That type of versatility will be a big factor against a tough Jets defense and an ever growing confident young QB in Mark Sanchez.

This Steeler team is noticeably different than those teams of the recent past. Gone is Neil O’donnell, with the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust offense. With the weapons that Ben Roethlisberger has at his disposal this team can play smash mouth or light up the scoreboard. That type of versatility will be a big factor against a tough Jets defense and an ever growing confident young QB in Mark Sanchez.

The Jets have plenty of weapons themselves so thinking this will be a low scoring defensive battle is not as likely as you might think. Both defenses will come to play there is no doubt about it, but don’t be surprised to see both teams hit the end zone more than a couple times. There is plenty of time to cover the ins and outs of the game this week, but for now one thing is for sure. The Steelers have a golden opportunity in front of them, all the hard work that was the 2010 season will mean nothing if they don’t win this game. Sure, you can talk about how they responded, beat the odds, and saw young players develop, which is all well and good. The fact remains though, the right to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl is at hand, seize the moment! Don’t be afraid to be great!

BlitzburghRockCity – SteelerAddicts & SteelerAddicts Blog
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-17-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Duke of 531
    I think we are 1-2 in afc championship games played at heinz field...two losses to the cheatriots and one win against the ratbirds

You are absolutely correct boss

all the hard work that was the 2010 season will mean nothing if they don’t win this game.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake 1 View Post
    I think we are 1-2 in afc championship games played at heinz field...two losses to the cheatriots and one win against the ratbirds
    You are absolutely correct, fixing that now! I knew something was off with that statement but I couldn't put my finger on it

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Cowher was 1-4 in AFC title games in Pittsburgh and Tomlin is 1-0...............I'm not counting Cowher's win in Denver since it wasn't in Pittsburgh so I don't need any Cowher 2-4 in AFC title game posts...lol

I'm not knocking Cowher but just staying positive that the Steelers have won their last two AFC title games with one being in Pittsburgh with Tomlin........

My Mood
    Love
    This is the Steelers 5th Championship game in 10 years, 8th since 1994, and 15th since 1970--most in the nfl. How about them apples.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Cowher was 1-4 in AFC title games in Pittsburgh and Tomlin is 1-0...............I'm not counting Cowher's win in Denver since it wasn't in Pittsburgh so I don't need any Cowher 2-4 in AFC title game posts...lol

I'm not knocking Cowher but just staying positive that the Steelers have won their last two AFC title games with one being in Pittsburgh with Tomlin........
    I give Cowher all the props in the world for getting us that 5th trophy and for keeping us in contention most every year. My God though, his tenure drove me out of my mind when it came to the playoffs. We never had a "great" QB and something always went sideways.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.

My Mood
    Love
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I give Cowher all the props in the world for getting us that 5th trophy and for keeping us in contention most every year. My God though, his tenure drove me out of my mind when it came to the playoffs. We never had a "great" QB and something always went sideways.
    Neil Odonnell. ...

Neil O'Donnell , I still beleive he was bought , I hosted that game with family and friends.
    My 4 cousins and myself had a bet going on since 1989 .

We've been putting 50 bucks a year each till our favourite team wins the superbowl .

me:steelers Tony:dolphins Frank:falcons my bro:giants Robert:bengals

I had a limo standbye to pick us up and hit the town to PARTY , but **** head screwed it all up(O'Donnell)

I did eventually win the bet in 2006 , nice pot , nice PARTY..........

Thread Information