Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets wisely tone down rhetoric for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    no mood

Jets wisely tone down rhetoric for Steelers

For two weeks, New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan declared war on the opponent.

He proclaimed the wild-card playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts was personal. He announced this past Sunday's trilogy with the New England Patriots was personal. He challenged Bill Belichick, took shots at Tom Brady, accused the Patriots of rubbing it in the previous time they played.

But when it came to talk about facing the Pittsburgh Steelers for the AFC title Sunday night, the Jets' psychological warfare was rooted in killing them with kindness.

Rather than throw grenades, the Jets are tossing bouquets.

They respect Mike Tomlin. They won't call Ben Roethlisberger any names. They praised Troy Polamalu and James Harrison.

Have the Jets gone soft after matching last season's feat of back-to-back road victories over division champions to reach the AFC Championship Game?

Hardly. There's a difference when it comes to prepping for their next game: The Jets aren't necessarily the underdogs.

The Jets don't need to invent reasons to hate an opponent. They defeated the Steelers in Week 15. The Jets held on to win 22-17, with the Steelers reaching their 10-yard line in the closing seconds and failing to score with two cracks at the end zone.

The Jets are wise to let any Steelers doubt from that game fester on its own rather than getting the Steelers unnecessarily irritated.

Plenty of ammunition is available if the Jets were inclined. Ryan and a few of his players, namely venomous linebacker Bart Scott, have long histories against the Steelers from their days with the Baltimore Ravens. Roethlisberger had a controversial offseason -- if the Jets wanted to go there.

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie inflamed last week's pregame festivities when he called Brady an "***----." Ryan added his own criticisms of Brady, accusing the MVP favorite of taunting.

Cromartie and Ryan expressed nothing but admiration for Roethlisberger on Monday.

"He's tough, everything you look for, a competitor," Ryan said. "He's anybody's kind of quarterback. Anybody would love to have that."

Jets defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said it's an "honor and a privilege to play against [Roethlisberger], it really is."

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was asked if he had a message he wanted to send to Roethlisberger.

"We'll see you on Sunday," Revis replied. "Ya'll guys know me. I don't get into that, 'You're an a-hole' and all that stuff. I don't do that. I respect guys, and I know he's a great quarterback, and I can't wait to play against him."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...c-for-steelers

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well played, Jets. Well played.

What else would they do? They don't have anything on Steelers, and they know it'll be a hard fought game.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Well, it's only Tuesday. The week is not over, so don't be surprised if someone draws first blood.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Well, it's only Tuesday. The week is not over, so don't be surprised if someone draws first blood.
    I think we all know that they'll come out and say something, but the key is to ignore it. Rex is brilliant in his own way, taking all the focus off his players. No doubt he'll try to do that again. He just won't come out and flame Steelers as an organization.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Edwards will say something...And I'm sure the media will try to get Wallace or someone young to say something...

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    What else would they do? They don't have anything on Steelers, and they know it'll be a hard fought game.
    ^^^This. The majority of the Jet's talk is reserved for teams/players they have a personal beef with (Pats & Phins mostly) Rex did have something personal against Manning, he's a competitor and was tired of gettin his *** kicked by Manning time & time again.
    There are no such feelings toword the Steelers, I'm sure the Jets simply look at them as a very good, very tough team that stands in their way. Should be alot of fun come Sunday.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post
    ^^^This. The majority of the Jet's talk is reserved for teams/players they have a personal beef with (Pats & Phins mostly) Rex did have something personal against Manning, he's a competitor and was tired of gettin his *** kicked by Manning time & time again.
    There are no such feelings toword the Steelers, I'm sure the Jets simply look at them as a very good, very tough team that stands in their way. Should be alot of fun come Sunday.
    nice avy...just read the ESPN article about sanchez and aiden last week...sad story

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    nice avy...just read the ESPN article about sanchez and aiden last week...sad story
    Thanks, it is a sad story. I'm really pleased with the way Mark stepped up and has really become a friend to the kid.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Rex and the Jets didn't say much the last time we played and I don't know why many of you think they will this week.......Rex has much respect for the Steelers since he had many hard fought games with the Steelers when he was DC for the Ravens........The Steelers fit Ryan's style of football when you think about it....

Of course I expect Braylon Edwards to talk some **** since he hated losing to the Steelers all the time while with the Browns.....I also wouldn't be surprised if Holmes let of some emotion again for being traded..........But other then those two I don't think much will be said from the Jets camp........

Thread Information