Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbaugh's Flagrant First Down Challenge

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Harbaugh's Flagrant First Down Challenge

The more I thought it about this, the more it bothered me. I can't remember what quarter it was (I could not watch most of the game) but there was a play where the Steelers were awarded a first down on a very close spot. Ben had rushed his team to the line to get a play off before the Ravens could adjust. Harbaugh, low on timeouts, threw a flag to challenge the call.

I cannot remember the exact rule on challenging a first down spot, but apparently the situation in which he threw a challenge flag was not one of them. As a result, play stopped to address the issue, and his team received their time out.

I am convinced he did that on unscrupulously. I feel that should be penalty. That is the sort of tactic he will resort to for a win. I can just visualize him yelling and screaming at an opposing coach who did the exact same thing. He seems like a huge bigot. Can you imagine Tomlin doing that? I would be embarrassed.

I live in Baltimore, and despite not being a Ravens fan, I keep up with the Ravens. I listen to quite a bit of talk radio during my commute and I hear quite a lot of sports. When Harbaugh was hired, I actually liked him. He was humble, well spoken, and seemed like a good choice. As time went on, he became a total meathead. I cannot stand the guy. He might help old ladies across the street and volunteer at the animal shelter, or whatever, but his football persona is full of spite, disrespect, and arrogance. I say if he is glad his team broke Ben's nose, I am glad we sent his bigoted self packing.

That challenge flag really, really bothers me. That illustrates that being dirty and underhanded doesn't pay. I am surprised more was not made of that event.

Go Steelers!

My Mood
    Impatient
    It wasnt a first down, it was 4th down so Ben ran them to the line to go for it on 4th down and he threw the flag to put his base D back in since it was 4th and a half yard. He claimed he thought they were awarded a 1st down, but was wrong. I thought the same thing though. What a cheap thing to do. Everyone says that these two teams are carbon copies of each other, but thats just not true. One team is classy and one team is well, not classy

My Mood
    Addicted
    When you throw a challenge flag, it's a challenge. Just because the refs are given the luxery of picking up their flags doesn't mean a head coach should be able to do the same.

I called that right when it happened I said, "he did that just to get his personel on the field." two seconds later what do you see? Someone running off the field and fat *** Terrence Cody running on. On one hand it was smart, but it was cheap as hell. No way he thought the steelers were awarded a first. No way...

My Mood
    Impatient
    I loved how we pretended to just try and get them offsides and then went for it anyway. That was a GREAT playcall.

Harbaugh knew he couldn't challenge the spot because it wasn't a first down and why the hell would he have wanted to challenge it being fourth down? It was a stalling tactic by Harbaugh obviously.

It was a ploy by him to gain time for his defence. In that situation he SHOULD HAVE been charged with a timeout anyways, or even given an unsportsmanlike penalty. It was clear as day what he was doing. It was actually smart by him, but the league needs to do something about this...

As a coach if you do not understand the rules and throw that flag, the refs should not explain it to you and allow you to pick up your flag with no consequences. The coach should be charged with a timeout. AND FOR GOD SAKES YOU CANNOT ALLOW ANY SUBSTITUTIONS IF YOUR THE REFS.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I loved how we pretended to just try and get them offsides and then went for it anyway. That was a GREAT playcall.
    That was awesome. It only resulted in a fg anyway, but Ben executed that play to absolute perfection.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    That was awesome. It only resulted in a fg anyway, but Ben executed that play to absolute perfection.
    And that is why we continually beat the Ravens. Until they field a quarterback who can orchestrate such a maneuver, we will beat them 99% of the time.

Was very smart on his part. Was like having 4 time outs..

Clever use of game mechanics :P
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information