Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Offense..notice this little thing? Young WR's getting open for Ben

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

Our Offense..notice this little thing? Young WR's getting open for Ben

When we started to go to Sanders, he was open big time! When we go to our third WR, there isn'a team in the league that can cover our third WR's. Our offense clicked in when Sanders caught a few balls.

We have to make it a staple in our offense to go to our third WR more quickly when Wallace is double covered. Our corps is the best in the league. I really do believe that.

For example, what if Wallace, Sanders and Brown are in with Ward on the bench for this particular play. WHO COULD COVER ALL THREE OF THOSE GUYS EFFECTIVELY??

Exactly.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

good point , very true , the third receiver has to be the guy quick on the short routes, that's what usually drives defenses crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    When we started to go to Sanders, he was open big time! When we go to our third WR, there isn'a team in the league that can cover our third WR's. Our offense clicked in when Sanders caught a few balls.

We have to make it a staple in our offense to go to our third WR more quickly when Wallace is double covered. Our corps is the best in the league. I really do believe that.

For example, what if Wallace, Sanders and Brown are in with Ward on the bench for this particular play. WHO COULD COVER ALL THREE OF THOSE GUYS EFFECTIVELY??

Exactly.
    Not sure how he got that wide open with two deep safeties, but the Baltimore secondary isn't exactly world class. I agree with your optimism. Our WRs are going to be fun to watch but our O line isn't built to hold the pass rush off for that long.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    We talked about this at halftime also. I started saying that we need to look at Sanders and Brown as our first options to get Ben more time because we don't have time to go through 4 progressions to get to Brown and Sanders. That's what they were giving us. I'm glad whomever made that point did it. Doubt it was BA.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Yeah, the Baltimore secondary isn't much better than ours, but I do agree we should start using Brown and Sanders more. My brother and I were talking about it and we're pretty sure Brown, Sanders, and Wallace are the same person. Once Brown and Sanders mature a little bit and we have three little Wallace's running around out there..wow That's gonna be one great receiving corps.

This is the reason Ben was still playing late in the season. I was in the Burgh for the Carolina game, and the media was going nuts that Ben was still in games. Yesterday confirmed my belief that Tomlin knew he just could not keep Sanders and Brown on the bench anymore, they are just too good. He had to get them reps before the playoffs and it showed yesterday. Ward will always be the dependable go to guy in the clutch (third down conversion,TD's) but these other guys are just too good. I love the fact that Housh and Boldin CHOKED! All they did all year was whine about lack of touches. Given the opportunity to channge the game, they wilted...as did Flacco. Tomlin says nothing, runs his team, says little, and WINS. The Steeler nation is blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterray View Post
    We talked about this at halftime also. I started saying that we need to look at Sanders and Brown as our first options to get Ben more time because we don't have time to go through 4 progressions to get to Brown and Sanders. That's what they were giving us. I'm glad whomever made that point did it. Doubt it was BA.
    Baltimore did rely om 3 man rush a bit too much yesterday too. I have a feeling the team that watches that tape will dial a few more blitzes up. It only gets more difficult as we move on. But, I'd rather be us than Rats fans today.

My Mood
    Impatient
    We are most sucessful in 3 WR sets. We have been all season. It seems the best way to move the ball consistently with us. 4 WR works too, but three is the best because it keeps Miller in there. In many ways we have turned into the Colts offensively in the early part of 2000's. A great TE and three really good WR that are hard to cover with a RB who is good. I would like to see us use 3 WR sets as the norm for our offense.

Rookie Free Agent
    i thought so too. Once Ben started to move the ball around we looked real good. only think i was missing were the slants. With the speed that we have those slants have worked great the last quarter of the season. I'd like to get back to them next week.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Brown on a slant with a nickle CB on him gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information