Bookmark and Share

Steelers sign three reserve/future contracts

Pittsburgh Steelers sign:

FB Jamie McCoy
    G Nevin McCaskill
    DB Donovan Warren

--- Added 1/8/2011 at 05:22 PM ---

Jamie McCoy Could Be A Steal In The NFL Draft

Aggie FB/TE Jamie McCoy is currently projected as a possible late round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, if he gets drafted at all. McCoy ran a 4.56 and a 4.57 at the A&M Pro Day, times that would have put him at #2 among TEs at the NFL Combine. Unfortunately, McCoy was not invited to the NFL Combine for reasons that are still unclear to me (it should be noted that scouts also chose not to invite Texas Tech WR Wes Welker to the Combine when he finished his eligibility, either; six years and three All-Pro selections later, you have wonder how many scouts admit to the stupidity of that decision), so his numbers are not compared to what he did at the Combine.

McCoy started all 13 games of the 2009 season, playing at both TE and FB. He finished with 35 receptions for 367 yards, 2 TDs, and 11 carries for 80 yards. At 6'2, 240 lbs, McCoy has the size and athleticism to excel as a blocker; he has the receiving ability to be a complete TE. He also can run the ball as a FB, or break the I and split out as a receiver. McCoy looks like a natural for the H-back position most teams want in their offense to replace the prototypical blocking TE, which is what makes the lack of interest in him so perplexing to me.

If McCoy ends up drafted in the late rounds, I think some team is going to end up with an absolute steal at TE. If McCoy goes undrafted and has to sign on with a team as a free agent, he will have to go the same route Welker did, and prove everybody wrong when he gets into training camp and onto the field.

Looks like David Johnson got some training camp competition.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It would be nice to have a true FB actually make the roster and contribute. Wishful thinking, I know...

I agree that it would be nice to have a FB contribute. When we were rolling with Dan Kreider. It hopefully will help Mendy out a lot as well as our lineman. As for Warren, I think that he is a project, but def has good upside to him. Will prolly be better as a safety or nickel back in our scheme. Our veteran secondary guys will teach him how to be a pro.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Kreider and Mendenhall combo would be wicked tough to beat. I'd be all over seeing those 2 hook up in the run game.

Rookie Free Agent H3INZFI3LDST33L's Avatar
    I want Pitt's Henry Hynoski as the Steelers FB next season. The guy is pretty much a guard in the backfield with pass catching abilities. Pretty quick for a big man too! I could see Hynoski even lining up as tackle eligible on the goal line and catching some TD's.

Unfortunately, if BA is still around, Hynoski will not be drafted... :-(

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    As long as Arians is around, you guys can stop wishing for a real FB. Kuhn would still be here if it wasn't for Arains assinine ideas.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Donovan Warren was regarded a pretty good CB before last years draft. He fell and apparently havnt done much so far, but he have talent thats for sure. He was up around first round in some of the early mocks that year.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Donovan Warren was regarded a pretty good CB before last years draft. He fell and apparently havnt done much so far, but he have talent thats for sure. He was up around first round in some of the early mocks that year.
    i think he blew his 40 times... combine times...

send him to speed training and get him playing. jets didnt need him... kinda like us letting gibson go. to many lb's. jets had two many db's

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    As long as Arians is around, you guys can stop wishing for a real FB. Kuhn would still be here if it wasn't for Arains assinine ideas.

Thread Information