Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Draft before free agency?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Starter cmerrifield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wilmore KY
    Posts
    1,662
    My Mood
    Impatient

    Draft before free agency?

    Without a new CBA free agency wont take place. So in theory, the draft could come first. I think that would help a team like the Steelers, probably most teams, by picking up quality free agents after you know what you have drafted. So, like if the Steelers pick up a OL in the early draft, maybe they go after a CB in free agency. Do you think that will help, or do you think most teams can do that and hurt our chances at picking up free agents?

  2. #2
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,698
    wont matter, even f there is a lockout there will be a draft and not even one pick will get signed before the new deal is in place

  3. #3
    Starter cmerrifield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wilmore KY
    Posts
    1,662
    My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    wont matter, even f there is a lockout there will be a draft and not even one pick will get signed before the new deal is in place
    Right but will all teams truly go after Best Available because their needs could still be fulfilled in FA or will they fill their needs by the draft just in case they cant get anyone? I think we will go BPA and fill the holes with FA which would be good for us. I think after last years draft, Tomlin and Colbert are trending up with their picks.

  4. #4
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,698
    oh it will be much easier for teams to take the BPA...theres a legit chance of AJ green going #1, in past years youd be insane to take a WR not named calvin johnson #1...it will effect in in that OTs, QBs, and DEs wont be reached for just for the sake of getting an OT, QB, or DE

  5. #5
    Starter coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The great white North
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Without a new CBA free agency wont take place. So in theory, the draft could come first. I think that would help a team like the Steelers, probably most teams, by picking up quality free agents after you know what you have drafted. So, like if the Steelers pick up a OL in the early draft, maybe they go after a CB in free agency. Do you think that will help, or do you think most teams can do that and hurt our chances at picking up free agents?
    I wonder if the rules around the final playoff teams not being able to sign free agents will be impacted by the upcoming CBA more permanently (e.g. getting rid of it)? If they remain status quo, we are hurt, relative to the teams that finished below us. Has anyone heard if there has been any talk of changing it?

  6. #6
    Starter cmerrifield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wilmore KY
    Posts
    1,662
    My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    I wonder if the rules around the final playoff teams not being able to sign free agents will be impacted by the upcoming CBA more permanently (e.g. getting rid of it)? If they remain status quo, we are hurt, relative to the teams that finished below us. Has anyone heard if there has been any talk of changing it?
    Those rules were only in place to keep balance in the league with no salary cap, so with the new CBA there will probably be a cap, so no need for those rules.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Draft Principles: Team Draft Boards
    By darnik44 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
  2. 08 AFC Team Draft Grades
    By NOVA STEELERS in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
  3. Yahoo! AFC Draft Grades
    By Hburg in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 08:23 AM
  4. Draft vs. Free Agency
    By BlackGold4vr in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •