Thread: Did Tomlin pull the starters at the right time?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Did Tomlin pull the starters at the right time?

If you ask me, Pouncey and Wallace are up there with being as important as Ben, Hines, Heath, and Polamalu. The fact that they played the starters to start the 2nd half wasn't a surprise, most teams won't pull their starters even with a big lead till atleast a series or 2 into the 2nd half. However the fact that Pouncey remained in and Wallace too was a bit of shocker. Let's face it, without Pouncey we are in SERIOUS trouble. Without Wallace, their biggest big play threat, the offense is at distinct disadvantage.

One could argue that pulling those guys when Ben left the game, should have been strongly considered. Granted you can't rest everyone, and you only dress so many at each position so some starters have to keep playing. However when Pouncey limped off every member of the Steeler Nation gasped and held their breath.

Duke of 531
    I think he pulled them at the right time, but i can understand someones argument for pulling them earlier...we will have plenty of time now to rest up and get healthy todays win was important as hell...it looks like we are starting to peak at the right time

Props to Mike, I think he did the right thing. Like you said in another thread boss, the entire team is looking sharp. It's important to go into the post season looking sharp and with confidence. You can't worry about injuries happening. Although you can rest those that have injuries. Assuminung Pouncey and Wallace were healthy I have no problem with them playing. The have 2 weeks to rest.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Pouncey was in there one too many plays IMO...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I thought they should have been taken out earlier but I guess the stains didn't really show up anyway. This question is only truly answered if anyone gets hurt. Remember when Welker got hurt in a meaningless game? If noone gets hurt, the coach is a tough- minded coach. If someone gets hurt, the coach is an idiot.

LET'S GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering it was debatable whether Troy should have played at all, I really thought he should have pulled him as soon as they went up 3 scores. There was really no chance they were coming back at that point.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Pouncey was in there one too many plays IMO...
    Yup. Totally agree. I thought Tomlin handled things well other than that. I have always been a proponent of giving your starters the opening drive of the second half and that one today was perfect. We stayed healthy today and got the job done!

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I also agree that Pouncey shouldn't have been in there for too long. I was listening to the game on the radio for the second half because I was on the road back to DC, and as soon as they said Pouncey was slow to get up, I wanted him out of there. Then he stayed in, and he was slow to get up again, and then they put in Legursky. If you have a player as important as Pouncey playing in an all but meaningless half, and he's slow to get up once, get him out of there. Don't give him the chance to exacerbate that injury.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Browns came back last year and beat us to end our playoff hopes, today was not a day to take any chances. I was fine with leaving the starters in till halftime since we were up by more than 3 scores at that time. You have to be careful pulling starters too quick because you never know what adjustments a team will make at halftime so leaving them in for the 3rd quarter to start was the right more.

It did scare me to death seeing Pouncey getting up slow, that man is by far the best lineman that we have.

Timing was right, thank God there were no injuries to the Steelers like there was to Wes Welker last year in a meaningless game.

Thread Information