Thread: NFL cuts Harrison's fine by $25,000

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine

NFL cuts Harrison's fine by $25,000

The NFL has reduced the biggest fine it levied on Steelers linebacker James Harrison this season by one-third.

Harrison's fine was reduced from $75,000 to $50,000 for his hit on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi Oct. 17. Although Harrison lost his appeal, the NFL decided today to reduce the fine by $25,000.

"We're very pleased with the reduction and it's good step in the right direction," said Harrison's agent, Bill Parise.

Harrison was fined four times this season for $125,000, which now stands at $100,0000. Parise on Tuesday will appeal a $25,000 fine on Harrison for a hit in Buffalo Nov. 28.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10364...#ixzz19eUkNhd5
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Addicted
    Although the fine is still ridiculous, that's awesome. It is definitely a step in the right direction.

2nd String
    I think this is a planned strategic bargaining move by the NFL. Come negotiation time, they will adamantly tout the reevaluation of fines and use that move as a bargaining chip in attempt to portray themselves as fair. I am convinced that nothing they do is in the best interest of the players.

In the meantime, I am glad Harrison has some of his well earned cash back!

My Mood
    Addicted

Harrison's Fine Reduction

I suspect that at least part of the reason for this reduction is to avoid the inevitable question that is: If Harrison is fined 75K for a hit and a style of play that has been legitimate for decades, then why Favre has 2/3's of this for his obvious philandery?? I sense of bit of retroactive CYA here. Could I be wrong? Any thoughts?

JD from Utah

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1000 View Post
    I suspect that at least part of the reason for this reduction is to avoid the inevitable question that is: If Harrison is fined 75K for a hit and a style of play that has been legitimate for decades, then why Favre has 2/3's of this for his obvious philandery?? I sense of bit of retroactive CYA here. Could I be wrong? Any thoughts?

JD from Utah
    Not only that, but more viscious hits have gone unflagged and fined less, especially hits against the Steelers. I suspect this is a CYA move to make it look like there's not a vendetta against us.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's a case of the NFL trying to save some face, realizing that they overreacted and fining James that much was uncalled for. It's still too much but atleast it's a step in the right direction.

You guys took the words right out of my mouth.

The NFL embarrassed itself this year by marketing their collective gross stupidity and they got called out publicly by fans, commentators and players.

I am still convinced that the first payer to actually be suspended for a hit will be a Steeler, and might just be #92.

Draft Pick
    Bitter justice to say the least. Did anyone one hear Howie Long on the NFL pregame mention the fact that JH is having the best season of his career, but will probably lose the defensive player MVP because of negative publicity due to his out spoken personality against the league and their rules towards "violent hits". What a shame...go screw yourself Goodell! Thanks Howie!

Thread Information