Thread: Mike Webster

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Mike Webster

Is Mike Webster the greatest center ever? What do you think?

Duke of 531
    no disrespect to mike, he was an awesome player, but i believe dermontti dawson was a better all-round player....dirt should have been a first ballot hall of famer, hopefully he will get the call this year

My Mood
    Love
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake 1 View Post
    no disrespect to mike, he was an awesome player, but i believe dermontti dawson was a better all-round player....dirt should have been a first ballot hall of famer, hopefully he will get the call this year
    Interesting......Interesting.

Michael Lewis "Iron Mike" Webster (March 18, 1952 – September 24, 2002) was an American football player who played center in the National Football League from 1974 to 1990 with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs. He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "Iron Mike" anchored the Steelers' offensive line during much of their run of four Super Bowl victories from 1974 to 1979 and is considered by some[1] as the best center in NFL history.

Mike Webster was regarded as the best center in the Big Ten during most of his career at the University of Wisconsin. At 6-foot-1, 255 pounds, he was drafted in the 5th round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Serving as a backup at center and guard for two years and being mentored by veteran Ray Mansfield, Mike became the team's starting center in 1976, where he would remain for 150 straight games until 1986. These years included four Super Bowl wins by the Steelers, and Mike and Terry Bradshaw are consequently one of the most well-known center-quarterback pairs in history. Webster was honored as an All-Pro seven times and played in the Pro Bowl nine times. Webster is also perhaps the best-known of a long line of All-Pro centers for the Steelers from 1964 to 2006, which primarily included just four men in 43 years: Mansfield, Webster, Dermontti Dawson, and Jeff Hartings. In his last year in Pittsburgh, Webster returned the favor by mentoring the then-rookie Dawson in the same manner Mansfield mentored Webster earlier in his career.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Webster

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Webster was the anchor for the Steelers offensive line, without him you can make a case that they may not have won all those super bowls. We all know without a good OL and especially a good Center, you aren't going anywhere fast. Dawson reinvented the Center position with his ability to pull and block. I would say both have a case for one of the best Centers ever.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I would take Mike Webster over Dawson. Although I respect both. Webster played 17 Seasons, was on 4 sb teams. Mike is the best. Personally, I'm having a brainfart. I can't think of anyone that could be mentioned in his category. Dwight Stephenson? Jim Otto?. Help me here?

I think Webster defined the position. When I think of centers, the first name that comes to mind is Iron Mike.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Simply put, I feel Iron Mike was the best center to have ever played the game.

Was a beast, R.I.P. Mike.

Webster was great, but frankly Dawson was unbelievable. If the guy has a ring he would of been inducted into the HOF his first eligible year. According to friends who know him, he's also just a real good guy.

Thread Information