Thread: On the Steelers: Roethlisberger a changed man

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

On the Steelers: Roethlisberger a changed man

Thursday, December 30, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As more evidence arrived that there is a new and improved Ben Roethlisberger off the field, the Steelers welcome one big change their quarterback has not made.

He is the same Big Ben on the field as in the past with a bonus tossed in this season, the lowest interception percentage of his career. Roethlisberger has thrown five interceptions, the fewest since he had nine in 2005, his second season. He has not thrown one in his past 136 passes, one of the longest streaks in Steelers history.

"To me that's one of the things that I want to pride myself in is not throwing interceptions," Roethlisberger said. "That to me is the worst thing. I'd rather have 5 percent completions and no interceptions.

"Interceptions drive me crazy. That's something I try to pride myself in. Just make sure I see the throw before I throw it. Sometimes you can't control balls that are tipped, balls go through hands, you can't control those. But the ones I control I want to take pride in not giving that team a chance to score."

Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games while suspended by the NFL for sexual assault allegations made against him in March, has picked up where he left off on the field. He has a strong 94.3 passer rating with 15 touchdowns, a 3-1 ratio to interceptions. He added three more winning drives in the fourth quarter/overtime this season to make it 25 for his career, including two in the postseason.

He has helped guide the Steelers, who have clinched a playoff berth, within a victory Sunday in Cleveland of securing the No. 2 seed in the AFC and a first-week bye in the playoffs.

Wednesday, the Pro Football Writers local chapter gave Roethlisberger "The Chief Award" presented annually to someone in the organization who follows the spirit of cooperation shown the media by franchise founder Art Rooney. He is the first quarterback in the award's 23 years.

It's not an award this quarterback would have won in past years, but he promised to be more forthcoming with his time and his attitude toward those who cover the team, and he did. It was, he said, part of an entirely new outlook he has taken toward people since the situation in Georgia that pitted him against a female college student and the subsequent punishment by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell prompted him to reassess his lifestyle.

"I said I need to be more cooperative with people, be a better person," Roethlisberger said. "As much as people like to joke, you [in the media] are people. And we treat you guys that way. It's just a change I wanted to make in my life and it's towards you guys as well."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10364...#ixzz19czVFgcz

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Turnovers are an epic momentum killer, Ben has done a great job this year taking care of the football. Fortunately between both him and Mendenhall they've both done a pretty good job with ball security. Heading into the post season there is nothing more important than taking care of the football, it's as big as the defense making a turnover for us.

Starter
    " I'd rather have 5 percent completions and no interceptions." ...

wtf ben, that is not the way to think lol ..

missed 4 games of course his INT's are down..Just say'n!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

One thing about Ben that hasn't changed is his desire to WIN !
    He was a winner in college, he already has 2 Superbowls, one of his greatest attributes is desire to win. He find a way to make it happen.
    If you look at the playoff bound teams right now, he is up there with Brady, then you have Peyton Manning and Brees.

And his offense is tied for 24th in touchdowns scored (once you remove the 3 Defensive TD's). As Rod Woodson says, you have to gamble in this league. Ward, Wallace, El, Sanders, Brown, Miller, Mendenhall and Ben. Would you consider it an achievement to rank where the Steelers do considering the weapons the Qb has?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...nale-vs-browns

This sums it up. This is the way more people should see it.

--- Added 12/31/2010 at 03:16 AM ---

His Offense is 24th in TD's, which is the bottom 1/4 of the league. That is just above the Bills, no kidding. No interceptions, he is turning into O'donnell, except Neil's offense finished 9th in TD's scored. Thank LeBeau for the 2 SB's, not Ben.

No it's not a great acheivement in terms of TD's with the weapons we have but,
    we do have 11 wins,played 4 games without Ben,
    Remember one thing ,the tough get going when the going gets tough !!!
    The steelers are a championship team.The defense is ranked better than our offense but Ben is a winner and we have some guys on offence with experience.
    WARD,MILLER,RANDLE-EL,MOORE
    We need that first playoff win to get this team anchored on to another memoriable superbowl run.

Thread Information