Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace aims to make Browns pay

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    no mood

Mike Wallace aims to make Browns pay

Here is a draft thought to consider: In 2009, the Cleveland Browns selected inconsistent receivers Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi in the second round over Pittsburgh Steelers big-play receiver Mike Wallace.

Wallace
    Wallace
    Oops.

All three receivers will share the same field Sunday when the Browns (5-10) host the playoff-bound Steelers (11-4). Pittsburgh can clinch the AFC North and a first-round bye with the victory.

For Wallace, a former third-round pick, he carries a little extra chip when he plays teams like Cleveland. The Browns were one of many teams which continued to pass him over for other wide receivers. Two seasons later, while Robiskie and Massaquoi continue their struggles, Wallace has developed into one of the NFL's top deep threats with 57 receptions for 1,152 yards and nine touchdowns.

This year Wallace has 444 yards and five more touchdowns than Robiskie and Massaquoi combined.

"I take it real personal every time I go out there on the field," Wallace said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "I just try to make everybody pay for looking over me. ...I guess I just didn't really get much hype coming into the draft."

In coach Eric Mangini's first year, Cleveland had a golden opportunity to land franchise building blocks with three second-round picks. The Browns used those picks on Massaquoi, Robiskie and linebacker David Veikune, who was released by Cleveland this year. Missing on those key picks is one reason the Browns may finish with just five wins for the second straight year.

Wallace admits he wasn't sure where he would land, but he's happy to be a Steeler.

"I’m playing for the best team in America," Wallace said proudly. "I'm playing in the best organization, a real loyal organization where things are ran real smooth over here. I wouldn't trade it for any team."

SECOND GUESSING?

The Browns passed up Mike Wallace in the 2009 draft for two receivers who have been less productive. Here's a look out how all three players have done in 2010.

Player, Team Round receptions yards TDs
    Brian Robiskie, Cleveland 2nd (No. 36 overall) 27 275 2
    Mohamed Massaquoi, Cleveland 2nd (No. 50) 33 433 2
    Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh 3rd (No. 84) 57 1,152 9

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ake-browns-pay

I have to admit I love watching this kid play he seems to show progress every week.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Frustrated
    What makes him so sweet is he wants to be the best, he doesn't think he is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    What makes him so sweet is he wants to be the best, he doesn't think he is the best!
    A very unusual trait in a WR in todays day and age for sure.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Once again the Browns fail at finding good players to build a team around. Just another mistake for the mistake by the lake. I'm sure Wallace will do all he can to have a big game this Sunday, and that translates into points for us!

Wouldn't of mattered if they did draft him, a WR is no good w/ out a QB!!

Glad to have him on our team!

Just play football though, don't worry about not being drafted by the turds up north!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Just happy that Mike Wallace is ranking up the yards for the steelers and not on the steelers. Mike Wallace is definitely one of the steelers great draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplydan View Post
    Just happy that Mike Wallace is ranking up the yards for the steelers and not on the steelers. Mike Wallace is definitely one of the steelers great draft pick.
    He is a steal. The Office has drafted well, hope they keep up the good work.

yes we do draft well, I follow the draft closely every year.I buy all the magazines possible coming up to the draft. On draft I choose round per round and see if I select the same players the team does.
    actually, I 've done pretty well over the years.I guess right many of the times.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I have enjoyed watching Wallace's development throughout the year. He is a much different player now than at the beginning of the season. I see some of Hines Ward mentoring him. And I hope he has learned the lessons that S. Holmes failed to learn.

JD

He should be grateful that Cleveland wiffed on him. If it motivates him, great.

Thread Information