Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2011 Steeler draft discussion

Bookmark and Share
    classic example of LTs being overrated...trent williams was looked at as a RT, so was saffold and they are STUDS. jason smith was looked at as an elite LT and was beat out by rookie saffold and he can barely hold down RT.

Tyron smith is so thin, hes just like charles brown was coming out of usc, their weight/strength program is an abortion.

solder is probably the best athlete out of the tackles, bruce campbell like insane....but that doesnt make him a LT. imo sherrod is the best and its not close. castonzo and love would probably be my next two.

carimi could play on the left...hes not a cherilus/loadholt kind of RT only guy, better suited for the right but hes had a hell of a career at LT in college and theres worse options out there

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i want no part in canstanzo, solder, love in round one....and believe it or not i think cannon is a top 15 senior prospect

carimi is a MAYBE he compares favorable to david stewart and will be a good RT for a long time, but that depends on what they have planned for LT and colon and flos future with the team.

Sign Gaither and the problems are all solved on the exterior oline, then address RG early and its a borderline elite oline

out of my list hes the comparisons ive came up with

Derrek Sherrod-Marvel Smith Clone
    Brandon Harris- Marcus Trufant
    Adrian Clayborn- Darnell Dockett
    Cameron Heyward- Chris Canty
    Mike Pouncey- Less aware maurkice pouncey
    Janoris Jenkins- Asante Samuel
    Aaron Williams- DRC
    Allen Bailey- Justin Tuck
    Marcus Cannon- Shawne Andrews

I'm liking that comparison!

If we go corner in the first round, I'd want Jenkins and I like Stephen Schilling for RG in the 2nd if he's still available. You know they'll have an eye on other Pouncey, but when it comes to this line, we need to be taking the best player available...imo
    Last edited by Steel Trap86; 01-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I know its still early, but the way last year's draft seems to have been, I am pretty excited about day 3 of this years draft. Brown, Slyvester, Dwyer, Butler. This guys were good picks for late rounds. I hope they live up to their potential. I would like to see a CB early and a RG early, or a RT and shift Colon to RG. Otherwise, this team doesnt have a lot of holes. I know we need some depth at OLB, DL and probably a FS, but I doubt we will see those positions early

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    yeah right...sure BPA. thats not what hood or pouncey was. clearly i was upset with hood, and thrilled with pouncey but they are addressing need more than anything the last few drafts. best players available we'd have maualuga next to timmons and dez across from wallace

i dont think worilds was the best player available at all...they have very inconstant ways of drafting

moore very well might stay at school, but i think FS is a high priority too, at least in the next 2 years.

right now my board for players that im not writing the steelers off as being out of contention for at 25-32 would look like this

Sherrod
    Harris
    Clayborn
    Heyward
    Pouncey
    Jenkins
    Williams
    Bailey
    Cannon
    Ziggy was the BPA that didn't fit our scheme. He was projected to go a handful of picks sooner to the Colts.

Pouncey was not. Centers normally don't in the mid-first round but after Iupati was snatched up, Colbert decided to make a move.

delmas, butler, maualuga, loadholt were all better fits than hood and hood was a colt/buc possibility in the first but widely considered a 2nd round prospect.

vollmer (who i wasnt really familiar with) would have been delightful had we known then what we know now. hindsight is a bitch though.

pouncey was one of my favoirte prospects, and im thrilled to have him but idt he was the best player available....total stud though no doubt. dez was my 4th overall player pre draft behind king suh, berry, and okung. knew he wouldnt be a steeler cause hes a retard but talented nonetheless. pouncey was closer to being the BPA than hood was though

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post
    I'm liking that comparison!

If we go corner in the first round, I'd want Jenkins and I like Stephen Schilling for RG in the 2nd if he's still available. You know they'll have an eye on other Pouncey, but when it comes to this line, we need to be taking the best player available...imo
    You might like the Walter Football mock draft today, even though they pick a guard then a CB. They give us Pouncey in the first and Ras-I Dowling in the second. All they had to do for this to happen is to have 12 DE/OLBs drafted in the first round.

Someone in here (may have been K???) thought of Dowling more as a Safety. I haven't seen him but the write ups he gets are good. I am not sure he will be there in late second. Based on what I have read so far, this would look to be two good pick ups.

Any other CB/Guard or Guard/CB combos look good out there in rounds 1 and 2?

dowling is almost certainly a 2nd or even 3rd round pick at best this year imo. hes a big name more than anything imo. he is this years malcolm jenkins or antrel rolle in that he will probably get a shot at CB but will have to move to FS.

im not crazy about him, some team might just draft him and put him at FS like the eagles did with macho or like the lions did with speivey.

Ras-I Dowling is coming off a season ending injury and had stated that he will forgo the NFL draft to return to school so that he can graduate. Not sure how true that is but it was on 11/16/2010.

--- Added 1/6/2011 at 07:33 PM ---

I personally think we could get someone like Chimdi Chekwa CB OSU, in the 2nd or 3rd round. Could prob contribute immediatly as a nickel back for us.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117485

My Mood
    Fine
    We def need to focus on what we've neglected for years. O line,D line & CB. Why do we always wait until later to pickup a CB? However we need A Good D lineman I'd love an Haloti Type of player who can play any line position. Casey isn't going to be around forever and I'ts 3 yrs now with Aaron Smith getting hurt. I also wish they would of put Jaron Gilbert on the practice squad after the Jets cut him.

K Train great info as always.

My Mood
    Fine
    If the following Players were available when The Steelers select who would you pick? Gabe Carimi,Derek Sherrod,Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt or Janoris Jenkins ,Brandon Harris?

Thread Information