Thread: My Brown-nosing Article

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

My Brown-nosing Article

The last few weeks I've done some thinking which in and of itself is a dangerous thing, but my thinking was about the influence of internet forums and websites such as our beloved steeleraddicts.com. It would be easy to include things like talk radio and the 'worldwide leader' in this discussion, but I think those have been discussed at length in the past. At issue is the power these specific sites for specific fans have on their followers and while some of these things are negative, I have found some real positivity in them. Now, I know this will look like some serious ***-kissing, but I really don't care because it's how I feel so here goes...

When the evolution of team-based forums began, it seemed that most forums were used more for just bitching and complaining rather than actually discussing and dissecting their favorite team(s). The former forum over at the Trib's website was a prime example of this. Seemed almost anyone who offered an opinion or even a general thought was going to be slammed, bombarded and even personally attacked on that board. While there were several other sites popping up like crazy, it appeared to me that the Trib forum was the hub. It eventually died out and gave way to other sites which shall remain nameless due to my concern that they may sue me for libel or something. Following the demise of that forum, I looked around and joined some of these unnamed sites and found them to be hit or miss depending upon the topics and amount of people involved. And then I came here.

Steeleraddicts.com is more than just a forum and more than just a 'Steelers Website.' At the risk of sounding cheesy, it's a tight-knit community of people who share one specific passion of loving the Steelers. There is risk involved however, just because we are fans of the Steelers, doesn't mean we will have similar political ideologies, religions, ethnicities or even world views and that can create a lot of animosity which can then lead to some ugly comments. Make no mistake, SA is not completely void of certain individuals who will attack and accuse from time to time, but from what I can see, those comments are fewer and less venomous than at other sites. I honestly believe that just as a teacher can set the tone for a classroom, the owners and moderators of this site have set a positive, enthusiastic tone for everyone here. Many members may visit only during the season or maybe once or twice in the off-season, but I have found that a great deal of the membership is here everyday and keeps things moving and enjoyable. Some come to play in the arcade or share some cooking secrets while others come simply to continue talking football. The bottomline is that for me personally anyway, I have found the definitive Steelers' fan website and it has as more to do with the people involved than anything else. Well done SA!

Marc Uhlmann
    www.steeleraddicts.com

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    I honestly believe that just as a teacher can set the tone for a classroom, the owners and moderators of this site have set a positive, enthusiastic tone for everyone here.
    I've been here pretty regularly for a while now. I certainly know who the boss is but I could not name 1 moderator. That says it all!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I've been here pretty regularly for a while now. I certainly know who the boss is but I could not name 1 moderator. That says it all!
    Just for the record... I used the term 'moderator' for professional and journalistic purposes only.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hey Marc, you got a little something brown on the edge of your nose there dude

In all seriousness though, that's the ongoing goal of SA. We can talk football as well as anybody and I would put our knowledge of the Steelers and the NFL up against any board on the internet, period! SA is more than that though, it's a place where people have met and become great friends, where families get together, where you can pass the time just goofing around on the site, and of course where you can find all the Steelers news and talk that you can handle.

I've been on a many Steeler fan sites and forums over the years and there are some that are every bit as good as SA (well maybe not quite but ) and there are many more that are just a haven for bitching, complaining, whining, or some combination thereof. Some that were good once but have since faded off into the sunset for one reason or another, and others that are upstarts trying to get off the ground.

Any way you look at it there are plenty of options to choose from when looking for an online home. We strive to make SA everything you want in a Steelers website. We take that goal seriously, that's why I'm on here literally every day of the year in some capacity. Either on my computer at home, work, or on my phone if I'm on the go. It's been that way since I first joined way back when and since I took over as owner of the place. The offseason is slower for all NFL fan sites as people take a break from football. SA still keeps going along and we appreciate everyone that stops by in the offseason as much as we do in the regular season. The news may not be as plentiful now as it is in September but we still have a good time.

Things will ramp up as the draft gets closer and then slow down again for awhile until summer hits and then we'll have plenty to talk about as hopefully there are OTA's, training camp, etc. to look forward too. Either way, we are glad to each person that signs onto SA or lurks in the background just reading and enjoying the site.

Very well put, guys!...and don't forget us that are not Steeler fans first and foremost but look at this site as one of the best there is...wouldn't miss a day checking in here. But then, I do root for the Steelers as long as they aren't playing my Bucs!

It is so well run, enjoy the comraderie, the fantasy leagues, etc, etc, etc...just all of it!! A big thanks to all that make it so!!

Thread Information