Thread: NFL fines for "illegal hits" in 2011

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Post NFL fines for "illegal hits" in 2011

So we all know the entire implementation of the fines and threats of suspensions for "illegal" hits in the NFL in 2010 was the biggest joke on the planet. James Harrison gets nailed for a total of $125,000 in fines over the season, and plenty of others were hit with fines of 15, 20, 25K, and up. Harrison was the obvious poster boy and the one that got called into Roger Goodell's office in New York to talk about it. For weeks on end the NFL was issuing statements and warnings to the clubs about what was legal and what wasn't. Sending out videos of what they said was an illegal hit, with Harrison's plays at the forefront just fueled the fire of many teams besides the Steelers.

The league should have waited until next season to implement these changes in the first place. Had they not jumped the gun and changed everything in a knee jerk reaction we could have avoided all the problems that came about last year. They should have taken all the hits into account, talked it over with the NFLPA and then figured out how best communicate any rules changes. Possibly easier said than done, but in my opinion it would have been the better way to go. They have taken credit for "cleaning up the NFL and making it more safe" with their changes but in reality the few big hits that did happen were not the norm and haven't been at any time in the modern era of NFL football. Clearly the officials called games differently when the Steelers played, and scrutinized James Harrison and Ryan Clark especially in an unfair manner. It's not about "sour grapes" with Steeler players and fans with this, it's reality. The officials were told to call the games tighter and regardless of what anybody says, you can't tell me they weren't looking at the Steelers especially each week. In an effort to do their jobs, they ended up making the whole situation worse.

So how do you think they will change this rule in 2011, if at all? Does it need changed? My answer would be, just take it back to what it's been up until a few big hits caused the new punishments last year. Atleast now teams will be able to talk about it in the offseason, training camp, and in all the meetings and get everyone on the same page (whenever they can actually start doing team functions again).

Perhaps the league will realize it was over the top last year and attempt to bring things to a happy medium. We know the ball carrier will instinctively crouch down when the big hit is coming, and consequently the defender aiming for his chest or shoulders is now suddenly starring down the impact of a helmet to helmet hit. That's what players have were saying all along but the league refused to see it.

Only time will tell if anything changes, but clearly it needs too...
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    From what I've heard on NFL Network this was part of the CBA talks for the last few weeks. I don't know how much of a sticking point it was but it was brought up.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Biggest mistake, to try and change rules in mid season. Just like any other rule change, they should have sent out letters to all teams, making them aware of a growing concern by the league on "illegal" hits. Then, when the season is over with, the competition committee gets together and implements rule changes. I don't think doing what the NFL did would have been a big deal, had they regulated the rule change fairly and evenly across the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The more I think about this the more I get a bad feeling we're just going to see more of the same problems in 2011. Since the NFL has convinced itself that it "saved the day" by implenting all these harsh pentalties for so called "unnecessary hits on defenseless" players it doesn't seem likely that the'll back down.

Who knows how much this will be brought up in the court proceedings now on the side of the players as the CBA or lack thereof tries to get figured out.

My Mood
    Addicted
    FWIW unfortunately I see more of the same old same old. This year it was illegal hits. What's next.....two hand touch or a gentler kinder version of flag football. I know that this has all been rehashed over and over again. Goodell is unpredictable.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah we've all had about enough of the this issue in 2010 but it certainly won't go away if the NFL has anything to say about it. If the players from decades past that made this game so great had a voice in the NFL today, most of them would agree these new rules are ridiculous.

heres a scoop on the player who had the real illegal hit last year.....

think he will play next year? or will NE need to draft a new player this year?

i will bet you no suspension and no fine...... hes a pat...

Report: Meriweather Was the Shooter
    Via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com comes a report by Dino Costa of Sirius Mad Dog Radio that New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather was the shooter in a late February incident at a house party in Apopka, Florida.

Additionally, Costa reports that there is "talk" that the two victims in the shooting are dead, a claim that doesn't appear to contain any "truth".

A two-time Pro Bowl safety and 2007 first-round pick out of the University of Miami, Meriweather's presence at the party has been confirmed, but his involvement in the shooting remains under investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

A relative of Meriweather's told The Boston Globe that the 27-year old was attempting to break up a fight between two of his cousins, Cedric Payne Jr. and Quentin Taylor, when another man, identified as 28-year old Anton Massey, accidentally shot Payne and Stanley, ripping Taylor's cheek and grazing the head of Nico Stanley.

A lawyer for the two victims made several appearances on Boston-area radio stations last week, which adds considerable doubt to Costa's second claim that Payne and Stanley are currently deceased.

Bob Hohler of the Globe had a lengthy article in today's edition about the shooting, with Rick Darlington, Meriweather's high school coach, suggesting that Meriweather shouldn't spend too much time in Apopka in the off-season.

"It’s a hard situation because Brandon wants to remember where he came from, but sometimes when you make a lot of money and go back into a rough community you came from, there can be jealousy and bitterness," Darlington said. "People can put you in a bad situation because, what do they have to lose? Nothing. What do you have to lose? Everything."

Meriweather is entering the final year of a five-year rookie contract that was worth $11.6 million. Meriweather is scheduled to earn a $1.65 million base salary in 2011.

It's OK to kill people off the field, but you better not make a big hit or else..

Goodell is a *** licker!

Godell is the bigest mistake the NFL has ever made and that mistake needs to be rectified!

Thread Information