Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting for Browns unpleasant chore

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Rooting for Browns unpleasant chore

It's so distasteful to some Steelers, rooting for the Cleveland Browns.

That goes too far, even for a rookie center.

"We're not really paying attention to that," said Maurkice Pouncey "We're not going to put our season in somebody else's hands. We have to worry about what we got to do and finish out the season strong."

That's the thing about the game Sunday between the Baltimore Ravens and Browns in Cleveland. Should the Ravens lose, the Steelers will not have to worry about what they must do; the regular season essentially will be a wrap. A Ravens loss would give the Steelers the AFC North Division championship, the No. 2 seed in the conference and the first-round playoff bye that goes with it.

They would not play another meaningful game until the weekend of Jan. 15-16.

"It would be nice, man, but we have to worry about us," Pouncey said. "We can't depend on Baltimore to lose a game."

The Steelers 27-3 victory Thursday night against Carolina at Heinz Field assured them that they will earn the No. 2 seed if Baltimore loses one of its final two games, or the Steelers win their finale Jan. 2 in Cleveland.

"We have a lot of key guys banged up," said cornerback Bryant McFadden, who left the game briefly Thursday night with a hip bruise after he intercepted a Jimmy Clausen pass.

"That gives us an extra week of just practicing and you don't have to worry about going into a four-quarter ballgame on that Sunday and you get a chance to get guys feeling a lot better for the next week."

If the Ravens lose tomorrow, the Steelers can enter their game against the Browns knowing it means little. They could rest and/or protect some of their starters. Injured players such as Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu could not only use the time off but avoid potentially more injuries or reinjury.

Older players such as James Farrior, Flozell Adams, Hines Ward, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel also could be rested or used sparingly Jan. 2.

"I'm rooting for Cleveland," said Farrior, who, at 35, has a different perspective than the 21-year-old Pouncey. "I'm a Cleveland fan this weekend -- just for this weekend."

Surprisingly, many of his teammates alleged they did not care much what the Browns do tomorrow.

"Who do they play?" Heath Miller asked. Told the Ravens and that the Steelers would lock up the No. 2 seed with a Cleveland victory, Miller shrugged.

"That would be nice, but we're not going to expect anything. We have to take care of business on our end. That Cleveland game is important to us no matter what because we went to continue to improve heading into the playoffs, so it's an important game for us."

That raises the question of whether coach Mike Tomlin would rest anyone in Cleveland even if the bye were secured before Jan. 2. The last time such a scenario unfolded, Tomlin started Roethlisberger in the meaningless 2008 regular-season finale against Cleveland, and the quarterback was carted off Heinz Field on a stretcher.

"Mike's going to make us go out there and play anyway," said Hampton. "It would be different if he was going to rest us the last game if we had it clinched, but we had it clinched before and he made us play, so I wouldn't expect anything different.

"The head man, there's a method behind his madness. Whatever he says we have to go out there and do we go out and do, it don't matter. We support him, we'll go out and get it done."

Roethlisberger, who had his broken nose mashed again Thursday night, might prefer not to play Jan. 2 if the Steelers have the bye wrapped up by then. His broken right foot also is on the mend.

"It is coach's call," said Roethlisberger. "I'm fine with it either way. If he wants me to be in there, and us to be in there, I'm good with that. If he wants to back off and get rest, I'm fine with that as well."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10359...#ixzz19BtpZOPN

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't consider it a chore. Go Browns.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Browns hate the Ravens so hopefully they'll play hard and manage to pull out a win. I don't consider it rooting for the Browns as much as it's rooting against the Ratbirds.

My Mood
    Mellow
    i have no problem rooting for the browns.

i don't even hate the browns...why hate something that you own?
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Browns have not been our rivals since the Ravens became a team. They've just been so bad. Go Browns.

I live in the Baltimore area...I'll have no problem rooting for the Browns. Actually I'll have no problem wasting my Sunday afternoon watching this dumb *** game. Raven's fan are a genetic extension of Brown's fans. Dumb and dumber come to mind.

Starter
    Yeah, not a difficult chore at all lol. this week at least

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Damn straight. Dawgs go get em. B more is a real POS classless team.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldoc View Post
    I live in the Baltimore area...I'll have no problem rooting for the Browns. Actually I'll have no problem wasting my Sunday afternoon watching this dumb *** game. Raven's fan are a genetic extension of Brown's fans. Dumb and dumber come to mind.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself!

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldoc View Post
    I live very near Baltimore too. As such, although I don't like the Ravens at all, I do visit a Raven forum just to keep my finger on the pulse of the local fan base. I can say they just might be the most offensive, hate mongering, and disrespectful group of fans on the planet. The particular forum I visit is an embarrassment to humanity. My first hand-real-world experience with many of them (not all mind you) cements my opinion.

Go Browns . . . .

Thread Information