Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the defense championship caliber?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    Riiiight, but how should we all know that by now?
    Well, I won't go back through the entire Steeler history, mostly because I wasn't alive during the good years, so I'll just reference the past two Superbowl wins.

XL- Not a great regular season. Finished with all the wins that we needed, entered the playoffs as a 6 seed. Still, nobody said the Steelers would get past the Bengals. Nobody said the Steelers would get past the Colts. Look at that, they did the seemingly impossible.

XLIII - The season of perhaps the most difficult regular season schedule in a long long time. Again, nobody said the Steelers would be able to do what they did that season, and they finished out with 12 wins. That was the regular season and not the playoffs, but I put it in the same category. I also don't recall many "experts" saying that we could beat the Ravens for the 3rd time in the AFCCG, but we did the impossible again in that case.

Ergo, the playoffs are a whole new season. I don't care if we lost to the Pats 100-0 in the regular season. There's no telling what's going to happen once we face them at a different time in a different environment. That is, if we do end up having to play them.

Sooo long story short, that's how we should all know that.

Starter
    without Troy or Smith, then I think we will struggle alot with good passing teams...With Troy and no smith, then I'd say we will be adequate...But with a healthy smith and a healthy polamalu then we are the best defense in the league by far and easily championship caliber. In my opinion we won't have a chance if we play the pats in the playoffs without aaron smith in there.

Time will tell. IMHO to win the Super Bowl, a team must have these three characteristics. One,they must be a solid well coached team, two they CANNOT have major injuries to key players, and three they gotta get hot at the right time. Losing Smith, Starks and Colon are biggies. I think Troy will be back and provide stability to the D in the post season.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldoc View Post
    Time will tell. IMHO to win the Super Bowl, a team must have these three characteristics. One,they must be a solid well coached team, two they CANNOT have major injuries to key players, and three they gotta get hot at the right time. Losing Smith, Starks and Colon are biggies. I think Troy will be back and provide stability to the D in the post season.
    Troy will definitely be back and so will Smith.

I think the Steelers are def a championship caliber D when Troy and Arron are playing healthy. However, our secondary has been shaky at times and could be our undoing. Troy can only do so much on his own. We need more playmakers in the secondary. Also, our pass rush has been shut down at times and I think a lot of that has been b/c of Troy not playing. With Arron returning, that should help a lot too. Besides that, lights out D. Lets get our #7 and go home guys!! Go Black and Yellow!!

Thread Information