Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All time 10 best steeler players

Bookmark and Share

All time 10 best steeler players

On the offical steeler site they are announcing that their will be a show on at christmas time.They will select the 10 best players of all time.Many just say that their were too many players to be put on that list.Lets give it a go here and see if anyone can pick the ten best that will be selected.

here is my list: Terry Bradshaw,Lynn Swann,Jack Lambert,Mean Joe Greene,Rod Woodson,Hines Ward,Ben Roethlisberger,Troy Polomalu,Jerome Bettis,Franco Harris.

PIMP

Duke of 531
    cant see how anyone but Joe Greene will be number 1...Greene was the rock foundation that Chuck Noll built the 70's dynasty upon... 2nd probably Terry Bradshaw can't have a dynasty without a franchise QB, we became painfully aware of this for 26 years between SB XIV and SB XL...go steelers

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    The list is so big. Mike webster has to be mentioned and Jack Ham. Everyone remembers Lambert because he was the emotional leader. But Jack Ham, in my opinion was the better player. I have a collection of old Steeler games, and Jack Ham was great.

--- Added 12/22/2010 at 06:04 AM ---

And I think Stallworth was a better receiver than Swann. Swann made all the big catches in the big games, but Stallworth had the overall better career. He was bigger and stronger.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Veteran
    That would be a pretty impressive list. I'm not sure there would be many guys that weren't on that 70s team on the list (besides Woodson and Troy.)

Although not players, I'd certainly give special mention to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    No one's mentioned #70 Ernie Stautner , the only Steeler to have his number retired. I've only ever seen a couple clips of him playing,but would have to believe he was a good one.

ERNIE STAUTNER (1950-63): “What made him was his strength,” said Dan Rooney. “This was a time players didn't have strength, they didn’t lift weights. I remember we were playing the Giants at Forbes Field one time and it was a very close game, and they were moving the ball. He sacked the quarterback three times in a row.” The franchise retired his No. 70 jersey in 1964 following his retirement, and he remains the only Steelers player to have received that honor. The Steel Curtain was one of the greatest defensive lines in NFL history, and Stautner would have taken one of that quartet’s jobs. Hall of Fame Class of 1969.
    As for the rest, I could throw a few names out there but find it almost impossible to pick the 10 best. So many to choose from,how many other teams fans have that problem....
    Last edited by jpele; 12-22-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    Well pre 70's guys, Stautner, John Henry Johnson, Dick Hoak, Andy Russell and Ray Mansfield.( i know the last two played in the 70's, but were also on very poor steelers team. Really only two guys that made transition from 60's teams to 70's teams).
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Clevelandsux View Post
    The list is so big. Mike webster has to be mentioned and Jack Ham. Everyone remembers Lambert because he was the emotional leader. But Jack Ham, in my opinion was the better player. I have a collection of old Steeler games, and Jack Ham was great.
    I'd also put Ham ahead of Lambert.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

If I recall correctly, they did a top 10 (or top 20) list a few years ago and Joe Greene was #1.

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    Can't forget Mean joe. I agree, I thought Ham was better than Lambert. But wasn't as boisterous. Just simply did his job, and did it very well.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Fight
    Greene,Blount,Ham,Lambert,Woodson,Stallworth,Betti s,Webster,Dawson,Ward

Blount had a rule made because of him so he has to be mentioned

Soon to be Ben and Pouncey barring health on Pouncey and I would say because of his splash plays probably Troy
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Thread Information