Thread: Cowher Responds

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar

Cowher Responds

LATROBE, Pa. -- Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis made his television debut as a football commentator Sunday night, and some fans are still talking about what he had to say.

During halftime of the Washington Redskins-Cincinnati Bengals game, Bettis said he thinks Steelers coach Bill Cowher will walk away after this season.

"I really think this is the last year for coach Cowher in Pittsburgh," Bettis said. "I talked with him after the season was over and he was really a different guy."

Following the Steelers' Monday afternoon practice at training camp, Cowher responded to what Bettis said the night before.

"This will be the last time I talk about this whole matter," Cowher said. "Jerome and I talked in March, about a month after the Super Bowl. There was no confidential information given. I think we were both very reflective at the time.

"We have not talked since then. I saw him in passing at the ESPYs. I was in and out of there in 24 hours. He has to understand as you get closer to training camp, time has a way of refocusing people.

"I think there has been a lot of speculation about my future. I am here to say, once again, that it's purely speculation."

Cowher said he was somewhat disappointed when he heard about Bettis' on-air comments, but he understands that the media has a job to do.
    Total Linkage

The major quotes are in bold. Bill says he's focused and I think he is at least this season but like I said before, it's easier to defend a title then try to win one next year when he has nothing to really shoot for. if he doesnt repeat this year then I think he'll have a rough time getting focused again.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'd have to agree with you. Bill has done a great job over the years and has little left to prove. I think this year will determine if he stays or not. I don't think he has to win the SB again to stay but his team needs to do well and be in the thick of it. As long as he thinks he has a shot at winning another SB he will stay.

At this point I think he has earned the right to do what he pleases. I just hope he doesnt hold the team hostage ala Brett Farve which I dont think he would do. I would think he has enough respect for the team and the Rooneys that he would step away when he feels its time.
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If we were in a rebuilding phase I would think Cowher probably would have called it quits after the SB or after this season coming up but as long as we have a chance and have a competitive team to field Im thinking he sticks around.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    seahawks-hater
    I bet Cowher will retire this year.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i'm responding to the brc post in my thread on the same thing. maybe if the titles of the thread where more understanding i would know it was a repost. i don't like cowher so i don't read threads that only have his name in it lol.......also my article was from the post qazette at 11 central time yesterday that's why i figured it hadn't been posted
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information