Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Hopes rest with Troy Polamalu

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Steelers' Hopes rest with Troy Polamalu

Here is the harsh truth about the Steelers: Their 2010 season rests on the Achilles of Troy Polamalu.

Pittsburgh played without its star safety Sunday and suffered a 22-17 loss to the New York Jets. It was further proof the Steelers (10-4), who clinched a playoff berth despite the loss, won't go very far unless their do-it-all safety gets healthy. Polamalu is expected to rest his Achilles in the final two regular season games and return for the postseason.

Usually in the NFL, the quarterback is the team's most important player, but the Steelers are one of the few exceptions. Pittsburgh went 3-1 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earlier this season. Yet, the Steelers are 5-7 without Polamalu dating to last season when he missed 11 games with a knee injury.

Pittsburgh looks ordinary without Polamalu -- and very beatable.

The Steelers didn't play nearly as aggressively on defense against the Jets, who entered the game having not scored an offensive touchdown in nine quarters. That drought ended in this game as Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez completed 65.5 percent of his passes and played efficient and mistake-free football.

The Jets also ran for 106 yards against the Steelers, who entered the game with the top-ranked rushing defense in the league, allowing an average of 60 yards a game.

Entering the game, Pittsburgh had forced 30 turnovers this season, but it didn't get any against the Jets. The Steelers' defense also had only one sack, which is a very important ingredient to their success.

"[The game] is not really called differently," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. "It's just sometimes it looks real different when [Polamalu] is not on the field. That's probably the biggest difference."

Every time Pittsburgh needed a big play this season, Polamalu was there. But when Polamalu wasn't in the lineup against the Jets, the Steelers seemed a step behind. Pittsburgh will have to adjust for the final two games against the Carolina Panthers (2-12) and Cleveland Browns (5-9).

"Is he the best defensive player in the league, according to me? Without a doubt," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said of Polamalu. "Have I ever played with anybody like him? Not even close. But you can't put that all on him. Guys that are on the field have to be accountable."

Pittsburgh probably will beat up on bad teams these next two weeks without Polamalu. But the difference between a quick playoff exit or another deep postseason run starts and ends with No. 43.

Draft Pick
    I think we would have a better chance of winning with Ben and without Troy than vice versa...

My Mood
    Addicted
    This isn't anything new. We all know this. Troy Polamalu is the glue that holds the defense together, and without him, they fall apart.

Well it also sounds like Aaron Smith is going to be back for the first game of playoffs.. so even with them out now.. as long as they can rest and get healthy for the playoffs, we should be completely fine.

They aren't ruling Troy out for Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    They aren't ruling Troy out for Thursday...
    I'm not really optimistic he's going to play though.

Obviously the loss causes the Steelers to win out to secure the #2 seed and a 1st round bye. Carolina is horrible and although Cleveland has been competitive, it looks to me like they are beginning to fall apart so 2 wins should not be impossible.

Hopefully Troy has a good practice week and hopefully the Steelers don't need him. I dress him and see what happens. If the Steelers gain control early on vs the Panthers, then Troy comes out. It's not that Mundy was horrible, but he wasn't Troy.

No one wants to think about this, but as Troy contiinues playing and getting a little "older" it might be time in the next year or 2 to spend a high drfat pick on a strong safety and not think about drafting for depth by picking some Safety from Mary Kay school of cosmetology to back up Troy and/ or Clark.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    I would rest Troy this week against Carolina and give him an extra 10 days so that he is ready for the Browns game in Cleveland if it indeed does mean something the day after New Years...

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Let's just pray that Heath is back because there is no doubt in my mind he would have made that catch in the corner!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I would rest Troy this week against Carolina and give him an extra 10 days so that he is ready for the Browns game in Cleveland if it indeed does mean something the day after New Years...
    Was thinking that too, but given the way the Panthers love to run we are going to need him big time. He's as important to stopping the run as anybody on that team. If he can go I would love to see him out there.

Thread Information