Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened with the defense tonight?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

What happened with the defense tonight?

So the vaunted Steelers run defense took a good beating tonight. Perhaps not statically speaking but none the less they were less than stellar tonight. Tomlinson had 49 yds and Greene had 40. However, time after time the Jets converted key 3rd downs on the ground. They were able to use the play action game all day. The bootleg that Sanchez scored on was a direct result of not only the formation showing run but also for the Steelers being focused the backs rather than keeping an eye on bootleg.

We have a short week coming up and they had better get that straightened out because the Panthers only real offense is the running game.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Aaron Smith..

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    As you may have guessed, the conservative play-calling by Dick LeBeau comes back to the absence of Troy Polamalu. Mundy held his own in the passing game, but was extremely late in supporting the run. Sanchez play-fakes well, I'll give him that, but Mundy just wasn't reacting the way we are used to seeing Troy react in similar situations. BMAC was brutal for the most part tonight. Thought he had good coverage on the long catch by Edwards, but he continues to give way too much cushion. Harrison and Woodley were limited most of the night as well due to the quick passing attack and Ryan Clark did not play well IMO either.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

the D only gave up 13 pts. idk what your complaining about? special teams gave up a kick return TD and the offense gave the, 2 pts on a safety. The D wasn't bad

1 player....This team just isn't the same w/out him!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by mwittman5 View Post
    the D only gave up 13 pts. idk what your complaining about? special teams gave up a kick return TD and the offense gave the, 2 pts on a safety. The D wasn't bad
    Agreed but the Sanchez bootleg TD was horrendous. You can give up a 1st down there but a TD was embarrassing. The other 3rd and short play on that drive where Sanchez hit Keller I believe was a bust by Clark who should have been on Keller the whole damn way. There was also the direct snap to Tomlinson which completely caught the D off guard. Again, a play that's easy to read and we blew it. You're right, 13 points should win most games but not when you make poor calls and have horrible execution.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Veteran
    My Mood
    chiefs-hater
    Anyone mention how terrible Bryant McFadden is. Week after week this guy gets picked on.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Waterboy
    Agreed. He stinks. He either gets burned long or gets flagged. Brutal. Special teams coverage is also bad and has been for years. Can we not hold anyone inside their own 20? And what's with other teams being able to punt and back us up onto our own 2 or 3 yard line lately? What about that crap call on Clark? Are we still allowed to hit anyone? Cleveland DOES suck but the old Cleveland ( the rat birds of Baltimore ) suck more!
    Last edited by sikeward; 12-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.

McFadden is crap.

And that Sanchez TD....that was awful.

Hopefully someone stands up and makes a play thursday night in Troy's absence.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You can just really tell how different this defense is without Troy in there. The exotic blitzes and sending the house doesn't work without Troy. Sanchez got off easy not having to worry about Polamalu.

The defense has held their own in the absence of Aaron Smith, but when you lose Troy too it's just never the same.

Thread Information