Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers receivers

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    God I hate the name Troy Edwards.....I hated that pick when it happened and I'm still not over it........Edwards had a solid rookie year but was terrible the rest of his Steelers career.......

Now Ward of course proved his greatness over time and Plax was a match up nightmare for DB's..........So those two were a very good duo for the Steelers.........

I would say Mike Wallace has proven he is a legit NFL WR is only getting better.............Really the sky is the limit for him.....

I liked the picks of both Sanders and Brown.....I thought both could help this team in time and thought both should have received playing time early rather then later......I also think in time Sanders can do alot of what Santonio Holmes use to do in this offense........I could see Emmanuel Sanders a legit number 2 WR one day.......I'm not saying he will be as good as Santonio Holmes so don't confuse that....Just saying I think he has similar skills and built......

As for Antonio Brown........I could see him developing into a very good slot WR and could be deadly after the catch on slants........

The Steelers WR core is in good hands long term if both of these young WR's pan out.....Only thing missing is a taller WR that could help in the red zone......

If I'm the Steelers I still would look to add a WR but they don't have to spend a top pick on a bigger/taller WR......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    As for Antonio Brown........I could see him developing into a very good slot WR and could be deadly after the catch on slants........
    I don't think our offense has any slants. Bruce relies on these 5-7 step drops for his go routes too often. More often, Ben has to extend the play for his guys to get open. Ben needs to get the ball out quicker because Jonathon Scott is wretched, and Arians has no plays to do this outside his ugly bubble screen.

You can't call the new WR corps better yet. It's too early in their career obviously. Sanders and Wallce look very promising of course, and I like what I have seen from Brown thus far. But better?...not yet.

And I think you can add Sweed into the mix. I don't know if he will be back next year or not, but he's still a young guy with talent...I just don't know if he will evr pan out for us. I hope we get a tall WR someday for Ben, as he seems to be overthrowing all our WRs currently.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Wallace not afraid of Revis

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace believes he's quickly becoming one of the NFL's best. To prove that, he knows there's one test he still must pass.

That's show he can be successful going against Darrelle Revis, the Jets cornerback who is widely considered to be the NFL's best.

Wallace

Revis

Wallace said Wednesday he's confident he matches up well against Revis, the former Pitt star. Wallace, who replaced Santonio Holmes in the Steelers' lineup when Holmes was traded to the Jets, believes his exceptional speed allows him to go against any defensive back in the league without fear.

Including Revis.

Revis said recently he's almost bored because quarterbacks target him so rarely. Wallace, not normally one to say anything that an opposing player could use for motivation, is talking as if he intends to make for an eventful day for Revis when the Jets (9-4) and Steelers (10-3) play Sunday in Pittsburgh.

"I don't care about nobody. He's just another guy. He's a real good player, but, hey, I'm a real good player myself," Wallace said. "I don't fear nobody and I don't back down from nobody. Whoever comes out and lines up, that's who I'm going to be going against."

No doubt Revis doesn't want to have an uncommonly bad day playing before so many friends and family members from nearby Aliquippa, Pa., where he played high school football. There is a chance he could be matched primarily against Hines Ward, the Steelers' leading receiver with 49 catches. But it seems more likely he will regularly be assigned to Wallace.

Wallace led the NFL in average yards per catch last season, and his 20.6 average this season ranks second.

"It's whoever they feel like matches up better against you," Wallace said. "It really doesn't matter to me whether it's him or [Antonio] Cromartie."

Jets coach Rex Ryan isn't offering any hints whether Revis might draw Wallace or Ward when New York plays man coverage -- he jokes that he might put him on rookie center Maurkice Pouncey. But Ryan said teams are being smart by not going after Revis.

"They aren't going to throw over there," Ryan said. "He is the best in the game. It's not even close. Initially he had a hamstring [injury] at camp. But, the last couple of weeks, he has been Darrelle Revis."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin won't dispute that.

"I assume he is that good," Tomlin said, "because I don't have a lot of video evidence -- nobody is throwing the ball in his direction."

The Steelers haven't had a dropoff at wide receiver without Holmes, mostly because Wallace has made such a smooth transition from No. 3 receiver to an every-down player. Wallace has 46 catches for 946 yards and eight touchdowns; Holmes has 41 receptions for 620 yards, a 15.1 average and four touchdowns for New York.

Wallace has seen his production drop off slightly the last few games. The second-year receiver from Mississippi had consecutive 100-yard games against the Bengals, Patriots and Raiders from Nov. 8-21, catching a combined four touchdown passes. He has no 100-yard games, and no touchdowns since then -- against the Bills, Ravens and Bengals -- with a combined 187 yards.

So maybe Wallace was using his own words to motivate himself.

Wallace, who is 6 feet and 199 pounds, has never opposed the 5-11, 198-pound Revis. But he has watched plenty of scouting tape.

"He's right up in your grill, in your face and you've got to beat him," Wallace said. "He's a real good player, but I don't care. A man-to-man situation, when it's me vs. you, it's either who wants it or who's the better player. He's lived up to the hype. But I don't care about none of that. Hype don't mean nothing to me."

To Ward, what really matters when the Steelers oppose the Jets and their No. 3-ranked defense is who wins the game. Not who wins the individual matchups.

"It's not Revis against me or Cromartie against Mike, it's the Steelers vs. the Jets," Ward said. "I'm not going to get caught up in Revis Island or stuff like that. This game is not all about one person, it's about a team. If Revis shuts all of us down and we win, do you think we're going to be sad?"

A great matchup, should be fun to watch.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Fight
    good read
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Wallace worries me, remember Willie was good when he was fast but, once he got hurt and lost his speed he was done!

I hope Wallace has more to him than speed!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It sure is nice to have all this speed at WR now isn't it? For so many years we had the "tough" WR's but rarely did we have any speed to go with it till Holmes came along. Then Wallace hit the scene and now we got 2 other speedsters in Brown and Sanders who can tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    I don't think our offense has any slants. Bruce relies on these 5-7 step drops for his go routes too often. More often, Ben has to extend the play for his guys to get open. Ben needs to get the ball out quicker because Jonathon Scott is wretched, and Arians has no plays to do this outside his ugly bubble screen.

Seriously, is Tony Hills that bad that Jonathan Scott is a better option to play LT? I seriously don't get it. Albeit possible, it would be hard to do worse than scott.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    Holmes was deadly running slants.....I think Brown can as well........As it well documented by Steelers the OL stinks and we know this....lol Nothing new since the OL was horrible when Holmes was with the Steelers.......My point about both Sanders and Brown wasn't so much this year but going forward into the future......

--- Added 12/16/2010 at 02:53 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Seriously, is Tony Hills that bad that Jonathan Scott is a better option to play LT? I seriously don't get it. Albeit possible, it would be hard to do worse than scott.
    I agree Tony Hills can't be that much worse then Jonathan Scott.....Hell what about Chris Scott who was just drafted this past year......There is talk he can't play OT at the NFL level and has to play OG but at this point I say give Chris Scott a chance as well.....Hills or Chris Scott....Jon Scott is terrible and just holds.......I think he has the 2nd most holding calls in the NFL for OTs and he hasn't started all season....lol

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I say no. I doubt any of these guys will come close to helping this teams running game like Ward has done. His blocking was the key to everything. But they could be better in a different way. Now if you throw Sweed in there...maybe.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Thread Information