Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polamolu named AFC defensive player of the week

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Polamolu named AFC defensive player of the week

Safety Troy Polamalu was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Baltimore Ravens in a 13-10 win.

Polamalu came up big for the Steelers when he sacked Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, stripping the ball free. LaMarr Woodley recovered and returned it to the nine-yard line with 3:13 on the clock and the Steelers trailing 10-6. The offense took advantage when Ben Roethlisberger hit Isaac Redman for a nine-yard touchdown.

“Troy’s a great player,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “A lot of guys would go in there and sack the quarterback. He sees the game a little differently, that’s what makes him special. He got the ball out, unfortunately, we weren’t able to get the ball in the end zone, but our offense finished the job for us.”

Polamalu finished the game with five tackles, a sack, forced fumble, and two quarterback hurries.

“That’s what Troy does,” said running back Rashard Mendenhall after the game. “He always comes through with great plays at the right time. The defense was playing hard and tough all day. We came with pressure, and it was a matter of time before we got a turnover, and we did. We were able to get the ball and we had to put points on the board at that point.”

www.steelers.com
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oibf3BIPnaE[/MEDIA]

Lol still don't know how he came in untouched like that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post

I still don't know why you pass on 2nd and 5 .... thats BA type logic.

Objectively speaking, is Troy the NFL's Defensive MVP? I know Matthews up in Green Bay is having a great year but I can't think of anyone else really. SA, your thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post

He was unblocked because they decided to double team 92, they must have thought the RB was going to pick up Troy, but the RB instead went to the other side and blocked Timmons who would have killed Flacco if he went unblocked.

Bottom line - good things happen when you blitz. Blitz every damn down.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Maybe they thought he was just showing blitz and dropping back into coverage, Lebeau scheme's that quite a bit, in fact that's exactly what Harrisson did in the superbowl when he returned that TD. Either way when you see Troy on the line you better make adjustments and at least 1 guy on him!

Mathews is having a monster year, but has been a little quiet the past few weeks. It's going to come down to these next few weeks to determine it, but right now I'd still give the slight edge to Mathews

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I think Troy has to be in the discussion for sure. He's had a few games where he kind of disappeared, but when you look not only at his presence, but the timing of his plays, I'm not sure there is anyone better.

I wouldn't rule out Harrison either. While the attention is on his fines, he's had a tremendous year.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

great

Hes a great player and deserves it. Hell be a probowler this year. And hopefully a few more

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    Objectively speaking, is Troy the NFL's Defensive MVP? I know Matthews up in Green Bay is having a great year but I can't think of anyone else really. SA, your thoughts...
    I don't think Matthews is the leading candidate right now because he's been pretty quiet in the 2nd half of this season. James Harrison is having another 'Defensive MVP' type season, but it's being overshadowed by his so-called 'illegal hits'. Matthews hasn't been the same since that injury he had earlier on. His name is only constant because of help he's getting in the media.

I think Polamalu deserves some mention, but i'm not sure if he would win. I think Terrell Suggs should be mentioned (sorry Steeler fans, but the guy has been playing well) as well as Shaun Phillips of SD. Also, Julius Peppers have been a terror this year for the Bears and Cameron Wake is making it happen for the Dolphins.

Clay Matthews:

Clay Matthews' 2010 stats

James Harrison:

James Harrison's 2010 stats

Now, you tell me who is having the better season?
    Last edited by harpo; 12-08-2010 at 01:17 PM.

My Mood
    Love
    D player of the week? More like D player of the season.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't think he'll be D player of the season. He hasn't been as shut down as he has in years past.

--- Added 12/8/2010 at 01:47 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Farrior Fan View Post
    Yeah. As Trent Dilfer said, that play never should have happened. Dumb of them to try to pass it in the first place.

Thread Information