Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs Ravens will be a physical game, what is the Steelers state of mind

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Love

Steelers vs Ravens will be a physical game, what is the Steelers state of mind

The last time the Steelers and Ravens played, wide receiver Mike Wallace felt the aches and pains the next day.

He doesn’t expect it to be much different this time around.

“Guys really hit hard out there,” said Wallace. “It’s a physical match, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, two names that self-define how physical the game is going to be. Guys on this team take it to another level. I am excited about it.”

Players have been asked all week about the rivalry, two teams with the same record going against each other, prime time slot, and playing for first place in the AFC North. Wallace loves it all.

“I don’t think it gets any better than this,” said Wallace. “This is what you want. It’s for everything. You wouldn’t want it any other way. You work every day to prepare for games like this. I am excited about it.

“Everybody knows the seriousness of the game and how much it means to us to stay ahead in this division. We need to win this ball game.”

One thing Wallace knows the offense will have to key on this week is the whereabouts of Ravens safety Ed Reed, who can be a game-changer. Reed didn’t play in the game earlier this season when the Ravens won 17-14, but will be on the field this Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

“He is a ball hawk. You have to watch him,” said Wallace. “He knows where the ball is. He is waiting. When he picks it off he can take it all the way for six.

“You can’t take chances with a guy like that. It’s like us having Troy (Polamalu). When you have a guy that talented it makes their defense that much better. You have to watch him.”

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    It'd be nice to out hit someone other than the Raiders this year... just sayin
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Much like in Buffalo, I would expect Wallace to draw double coverage which means Ward and occasionally Sanders should be able to get open as long as Ben has 3 or 4 seconds to throw.

--- Added 12/2/2010 at 09:56 PM ---

it also means that if Wallace is drawing double coverage, there will be no more than 7 guys in the box at any time as long as the Steelers don't telegraph the run with double tight I formation.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    we get Brown back too... no reason for Randle El to even dress
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    he blew another catch last week. first and goal on the what.. 5...

he seriously makes sweed look good.

My Mood
    jets-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    I agree no reason to even play El anymore. He has ****ed up way too many times this year and adds nothing to the punt return game at all besides fair catching it. Brown is back and will resume his punt returning role which is something the Ravens didnt have to deal with the first meeting. Both Sanders and Brown were both non-factors the last game against the Ravens which is something for them to think about as well. El is a liability at receiver and between him dropping the ball at the goaline before the half in Buffalo last week,and not getting in the end zone against the Saints which costs the Steelers 7 points and momentum in that game I am just about done with El. Ive seen enough Tomlin nobody cares if the guy is a vet and can do trick plays. He isnt better then Sanders and Brown and adds nothing to the special teams or receiving core. Stop playing him period!!!

As always, this will be a brutal game. Hopefully the Ravens are the ones with the most casualties this week, God knows this team can't afford any more injuries.

My Mood
    Love

As Ravens await, angry Steelers dodge distractions

The Pittsburgh Steelers checked their tempers for weeks, only to angrily voice their frustration in unison as player after player accused the NFL of targeting them.

They’re convinced linebacker James Harrison(notes) is being unfairly singled out for fines and penalties. They believe Ben Roethlisberger(notes), who is wearing a protective boot on his sprained right foot, doesn’t get the same protection from officials afforded star quarterbacks Tom Brady(notes) and Peyton Manning(notes).

They’re also concerned about guard Chris Kemoeatu(notes) getting penalized four times for holding penalties in Buffalo. Wide receiver Hines Ward(notes) can’t believe the league is pushing for an 18-game schedule during a time when teams can barely nurse their players through a 16-game schedule.

All these opinions were expressed, all these voices were raised, before what might be the Steelers’ most important game of the season Sunday in Baltimore. What the Steelers don’t know is whether all of this fretting, worrying and fuming is distracting them or, conversely, is unifying them.

Win, and the Steelers (8-3) could wind up with a first-round playoff bye. Lose, and they might be headed to the road as a wild-card team, while the Ravens (8-3) enjoy all the perks afforded a division champion.

The Steelers believe that their us-against-the-world stance is bringing them together. But even they don’t know what their state of mind will be at gametime for what Ravens coach John Harbaugh calls the NFL’s best rivalry by far.

“It’s crazy because usually people are talking (in advance) about the physicality of the game and how hard the hits are going to be,” wide receiver Mike Wallace(notes) said. “But people are talking about slowing down because they need their money and don’t want to be fined. So, it’s kind of taking away from it a little bit.”

The Steelers are convinced they’ve somehow become the NFL team that gets the most policing, and not just because Harrison has been fined $125,000 for four infractions since mid-October. They were flagged for a club-record 163 yards in penalties during a 35-3 win over Oakland on Nov. 21 and another 107 yards as they beat Buffalo 19-16 in overtime on Sunday.

Tight end Heath Miller(notes) pointed to the numerous penalties and said, “There were a lot of negative plays (in Buffalo). We were converting third downs on offense and we were able to run the ball, but when you add those plays where you’re moving backward, it makes it difficult to score.”

“It’s affecting everybody that plays defense,” said linebacker James Farrior(notes), the Steelers’ defensive captain. “We can’t just keep sitting here and taking it. Sooner or later, somebody’s going to have to say something. We just can’t keep quiet the whole time.”

The NFL declined comment Wednesday when Harrison, Farrior, Ward and others suggested the league was targeting the Steelers. League executive Ray Anderson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday it’s not true.

“I would say that’s misguided and, frankly, completely untrue,” said Anderson, the executive vice president for football operations. “Every team and every player, hopefully, will have the confidence that, if they play within the rules, we won’t have this problem.”

Anderson and NFL assistant director of operations Merton Hanks, a former player, are in charge of levying fines.

“We’re just going to keep playing the way we always have been playing and, if they fine us, they fine us,” Ward said.

Farrior’s worry is the ongoing debate about whether Harrison is disregarding the rules with his punishing hits will cost the Steelers not just in the checkbook, but in the standings. He hopes it’s not this week, of all weeks.

“It’s going to end up costing us a game,” he said. “It’s going to end up maybe getting him suspended. There’s nothing good coming out of this for us.”

Hey Anderson, F U prick!!

My Mood
    Love
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Hey Anderson, F U prick!!
    Double F/U.

Thread Information