Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: Harrison shouldn't be fined because of kids' tuition

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Tomlin: Harrison shouldn't be fined because of kids' tuition

Mike Tomlin has James Harrison's(notes) back. The Pittsburgh Steelers coach defends his star linebacker every time he's fined for a late, illegal or vicious hit. It happens quite often -- Harrison has been fined $125,000 so far this year -- so you'd imagine Tomlin has to work hard to come up with new justifications for why his player shouldn't be fined. His newest one: college tuition payments.

Though Harrison's children aren't yet in kindergarten, Tomlin told Alex Marvez of Sirius NFL Radio that the NFL should think of the kids before levying any new fines against the linebacker:

"We talk about the money like it's Monopoly money sometimes just because these guys happen to be professional athletes. [One-hundred thousand] is [$100,000], I don't care how much money you make. I take offense at times just in general how all of us talk about the money. He's got two kids. That's some serious college schooling right there potentially for those kids 16, 18 years from now."

Tomlin has a point. Between roster bonuses and salary, Harrison will make $3.55 million this season. The $125,000 in fines he's earned so far represent 1/28th of his salary. That's the equivalent of someone who earns $50,000 per year paying a $1,785 fine. Is that enough to force his kids to go to community college? Not unless he hired M.C. Hammer's financial adviser. However, it's still a fair percentage of a salary no matter which tax bracket you're in.

But -- and there's most definitely a but -- Harrison isn't an innocent in this. He's earned those fines for putting other players' lives and careers in danger. If Tomlin is worried about Harrison's two kids, what about the kids of those two Cleveland Browns players Harrison tried to decapitate earlier this year? They'd be much worse off if their father couldn't earn any money from football because some headhunting fool broke his neck.

There's a delicate line to tiptoe when trying to elicit sympathy for a millionaire athlete. Fans can put aside the absurdity of the dollars because of principle, but once you try to apply real-world examples to the plight of a guy who earned $16 million last year, you tend to lose Joe Pittsburgh. We sympathize with Derek Jeter because he's getting lowballed by the Yankees despite the fact that he's been the most visible, marketable member of the franchise since Mickey Mantle. We can support Darrelle Revis(notes) holding out in training camp to get paid; he's the best cornerback in the game who deserves to get what he can when he can.

But I'm supposed to cry for James Harrison because he gets avoidable fines that take a dent out of his $51 million contract? I'll save my outrage, thanks.

What moron wrote this article?

Sympathy for Jeter and his financial situation? Really... really.

Feel for Revis? Play your contract, they're not taking pay from those who have under performed, why should they pay more for those who have over achieved. Play another year at a high level and then demand what you want.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Love
    Quote Originally Posted by jnes1216 View Post
    What moron wrote this article?
    I'll find out. Wait.

--- Added 12/2/2010 at 01:08 AM ---

Some stupid moron named Chris Chase.

Maybe moron was kinda strong on my end, but I never heard of the guy. He has bad arguments nonetheless.

My Mood
    Love
    Maybe moron was kinda strong on my end, but I never heard of the guy. He has bad arguments nonetheless.
    Maybe the moron is a rookie.

Guess I am the one who should save his outrage. Having laid off workers, I doubt they feel any sympathies toward Jeter or Revis.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Guess I am the one who should save his outrage. Having laid off workers, I doubt they feel any sympathies toward Jeter or Revis.
    Excellent point.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin's statements are being taken way out of context; Tomlin isn't saying don't fine a player just because he has a family. He's outraged at the fines in general and just sticking up for Harrison via that particular point of view. Letting people know that in the wake of all the fines, the amount of money is just as bad as the number of times he's flagged. Just because it doesn't come out of our pockets doesn't mean it's insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Tomlin's statements are being taken way out of context; Tomlin isn't saying don't fine a player just because he has a family. He's outraged at the fines in general and just sticking up for Harrison via that particular point of view. Letting people know that in the wake of all the fines, the amount of money is just as bad as the number of times he's flagged. Just because it doesn't come out of our pockets doesn't mean it's insignificant.
    I agree with this assertion; however, I do think that he should have chosen a better way of wording things. It comes off as the "woe is me, I am only a multi-millionaire," type of complaint.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Scorp, can you post a link to that article please.

This is what really continues to **** me off about people who just don't get it...

Harrison isn't an innocent in this. He's earned those fines for putting other players' lives and careers in danger
    Putting their lives in danger? are you serious?! Please go get a dose of common sense and then grab yourself a new life because you've obviously lost any sense of what the NFL is actually about. This is why I hate the media sometimes, they have such a huge voice and people who can't think for themselves actually believe this nonsense!

Thread Information