Thread: Art Rooney thinks the Steelers are being targeted

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Chatty

Art Rooney thinks the Steelers are being targeted

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eing-targeted/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
    Art Rooney thinks the Steelers are being targeted

The NFL believes that the notion the league has targeted the Steelers in the ongoing crackdown against illegal hits is “misguided and, frankly, completely untrue.”

Steelers president Art Rooney believes otherwise.

“It certainly looks that way,” Rooney tells the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Not that we’re expecting much sympathy from other teams, but I think some of this will be part of the discussion after the season is over. Hopefully we’ll all have our chances to express our opinions and at that point have a better understanding of where the owners in the league stand on some of this.”

The Steelers have had plenty of chances to express their opinions, because they’ve been expressing their opinions constantly ever since October 17, when a rash of helmet-to-helmet hits spawned a flurry of big fines against players from three different teams, including Steelers linebacker James Harrison. Harrison has since been fined for a pair of roughing-the-passer penalties that entailed Harrison striking the quarterback with Harrison’s helmet, a clear violation of the rules in the eyes of everyone but Harrison, his teammates, the coaching staff, and Steelers fans.

“I think we’re sympathetic to the idea that we need to focus on player safety and particularly on helmet-to-helmet hits,” Rooney said. “The other side of it is it’s still a football game, and I think we’ve got to be realistic about how the rules can be changed and what we expect of the defensive players in particular.”

In our view, Rooney also should be realistic about — and sensitive to — the impact of his words on his players and his team’s fans. With the mob already predisposed to adopting a hostile stance against perceived heavy-handedness by a league office that, in prior years, had been perceived as residing in the Steelers’ back pockets, comments from folks like Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin will fan the flames, and Rooney surely is smart enough to know it.

The mere fact that the league has yet to fine Rooney or Tomlin for engaging in conduct detrimental to the long-term interests of the league via public comments undermining the NFL’s approach to safety proves that, to a certain extent, the NFL still tiptoes on eggshells when it comes to one of the league’s marquee franchises. Indeed, Art Rooney’s public criticism of the league includes an acknowledgment that these matters would be better handled directly and privately with the league office.

“I think he shares some of the concerns we have,” Art Rooney of his father, Dan Rooney. “I’m sure the conversation he’s having are between him and the league, and that’s the way they should be kept.”

So why are Art Rooney and Mike Tomlin grandstanding about the issue in the media? Because they’re focused not on the big picture but on winning enough games to set the table for a run to the Super Bowl. And they want to place maximum pressure on the game officials and the Commissioner to refrain from taking action that would give the opponents 15-yards of field position, make Harrison unavailable for a game or more, and/or ultimately neuter a hard-hitting defense that relies on the ability to physically intimidate.

And so they’ll continue to engage in tactics aimed directly or indirectly at verbally intimidating those who would threaten the franchise’s hammerlock on physical intimidation. It’ll continue as long as the league office allows it, and the league office already has allowed too much of it.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA TO FINE THE ROONEYS AND TOMLIN...I LOVE THAT THEY ARE MAKING NOISE!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Good luck to the NFL in trying to fine the Rooney’s… One of the most respected ownership family in sports. I don’t think that would go over well, considering Roger Goofball works FOR the owners. Maybe the NFL should actually look at this and consider that maybe THEY ARE doing something wrong.

I am very pleased to see Rooney speaking out. Time to use a little clout to get the NFL to back off.

It's about time, I'm sick of hearing from the players!!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nice to see not only the players, coach Tomlin stepping up and voicing their opinion, but now the big man himself. This will most certainly be a hot topic this off season, and like Tunch eluded too last night in our interview, the looming CBA talks could be affected by this issue. The NFLPA hasn't said anything about this since it started, and with the players up in arms over it with seemingly no help from the union, it's going to be very interesting to watch.

The NFL, Roger Goofball and Ray Anderson may have created quite a mess for themselves here. The deserve all the backlash they get for this. They are being stubborn and completely unresponsive to the concerns of the players. Terrible management of this issue.

Draft Pick
    Rooney's comments will make for an interesting Sunday evening. Let's see if the refs let them play...hum?

I love it that's he's not sitting back and allowing his team to 'take it'.

Anyone get the feeling the owners are getting tired of the Goodell shenanigans?

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    Love
    They'll play regardless of what the refs do. Things are changing on the players part already. Refs can only throw a flag or eject a player. Refs can't change how players play.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    so much ****ing controversy right now, i just hope we can get through it. i really don't want to lose this game on sunday

Thread Information