Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention turns to Ravens

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Attention turns to Ravens

One of the theories being discussed in the visitor’s locker room at Ralph Wilson Stadium had that surviving the Bills the way the Steelers did would help prepare them for this Sunday night’s showdown in Baltimore.

Linebacker James Farrior wasn’t buying it.

“Nothing gets you ready for Baltimore except Baltimore,” Farrior insisted following last Sunday’s 19-16 escape in overtime. “This game is always different from any other game.

“It’s gonna be one of those types of games. No other game can prepare you for this one.”

The game against the Bills almost defied description given all the twists and turns and controversial calls (the Steelers were penalized 10 times, including three holding penalties that were accepted against guard Chris Kemoeatu and another roughing the passer flag against linebacker James Harrison).

The game against the Ravens figures to play out in a much more conventional fashion, at least in terms of what’s accepted as conventional as it relates to Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

“This will be all-out war come Sunday night,” wide receiver Hines Ward predicted. “You don’t want to miss this one.

“This is the one you circle.”

That’s especially true for the Steelers after letting a late lead slip away and falling to the Ravens, 17-14, at Heinz Field, in the first meeting between the teams.

The rematch pits a couple of 8-3 teams against one another in a late-season battle for AFC North supremacy.

The Steelers appeared to be breezing their way toward their 8-3 half of that equation before letting a 13-0 second-half lead slip away.

They wound up requiring 12:36 of overtime before they were finally able to put the Bills away.

“We feel good because we got out of here with a win,” Ward said. “We’re starting to make strides in the right direction.

“We’re not playing good football, our best football, but what we had to overcome and go through (against the Bills), we can learn from it. I like the direction this team’s headed, especially in the month of December.”

Safety Ryan Clark took the Buffalo game for what it was worth _ a much-needed “W” _ heading into Baltimore.

“A game like this, winning it is what you have to do to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s not always going to be pretty. We’re not going to dominate every team.

“But in order to get to the playoffs, in order to stack enough wins to get in the tournament, you have to come out on top in this one.”

Farrior was still chewing on how the last one against Baltimore had gotten away in the wake of the victory over Buffalo.

“We gave up a touchdown at the end, man,” he said about the 18-yard touchdown pass Joe Flacco threw to T.J. Houshmandzadeh with 32 seconds left in that game. “We’re definitely disappointed in that.”

Sunday’s rematch offers a chance to make amends, as well as assume control of the race for first place in the division.

“We’ll be ready,” Farrior said. “We’ll definitely be ready. And we know they’re gonna be ready.

“We’ll see what happens.”

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    This is going to be a knock down drag out street fight!! This is what rivalries are all about, 2 competitive teams who hate each other with the division crown on the line. I am lovin this!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Dont be suprised if...

The ravens play us like the pats did. I think they will pass the ball about 75% of the time. Specially with us getting no pass rush on the qb and our dbs still havent showed they can stop the pass. If the recievers in the bills game would helped Fitz out. They woulda thrown all over us. And this is the bills. I really see Flacco doing some quick outs and slants most of the game cause we can ever stop them. Our defense needs to pick it up and we have been saying this for weeks. I dont think they can pick it up for the rest of the season. I think this is our ACTUAL defense playing now. I dont see us stepping it up either. And until woodley can start pressuring the qb, there just gonna dbl team harrison all day. I really hope im wrong on this but i think the ravens will beat us next week by two tds . We are just playing poorly right now on both sides of the ball.

I don't see that happening...Tom Brady is light years better than Flacco and the Pats really don't have anyone close to Ray Rice. If they do pass it 75% of the time we will have about 3 or 4 to's and win.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Love
    We're all in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    We're all in for a treat.
    hopefully not the same treat we had on the other sunday night games we played....

were 0-suck on sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    The ravens play us like the pats did. I think they will pass the ball about 75% of the time. Specially with us getting no pass rush on the qb and our dbs still havent showed they can stop the pass. If the recievers in the bills game would helped Fitz out. They woulda thrown all over us. And this is the bills. I really see Flacco doing some quick outs and slants most of the game cause we can ever stop them. Our defense needs to pick it up and we have been saying this for weeks. I dont think they can pick it up for the rest of the season. I think this is our ACTUAL defense playing now. I dont see us stepping it up either. And until woodley can start pressuring the qb, there just gonna dbl team harrison all day. I really hope im wrong on this but i think the ravens will beat us next week by two tds . We are just playing poorly right now on both sides of the ball.
    I agree they will pass on us all day. 92 needs to focus on one thing and that is putting Flacco on his back several times. Any other use of 92 is a complete waste. We also need a big play (or 2 or 3) from Troy. Our O also has to be efficient. 3 and outs will kill us and we will eventually lose the field position game. We must establish the run somehow and shoot for Wallace early and often on bombs. If this doesn't work well then we must try it again and again. Bubble screens will be eaten alive and weak azz runs up the middle will be destroyed. Good luck O line

My Mood
    Love
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    hopefully not the same treat we had on the other sunday night games we played....

Steelers will be ready and foaming at the mouth to get that win and get closer to home field advantage.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post

I was thinking about this as well and how the Steelers have lost their last 2 games both being on Sunday night. However, I dont think the Steelers will play as poorly as they did in New Orleans and here against the Patriots when they go to Baltimore on Sunday night. I have a hard time seeing the Steelers losing 3 Sunday night primetime games in one season. They usually play well in these games and win them and they are about due to get a win and play well on Sunday night and I think this week against the Ravens when it will matter the most is when it will happen...

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    Why not go into a hurry up if you are the Steelers? The Bucs went to it too late against Baltimore but were effective when they did. The Ravens have not beat a Ben led Steeler team since 2006, I say put the ball in the hands of the franchise and have at it.

Thread Information