Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like it or not, Harrison & the defense are going to have to adjust to the NFL

Bookmark and Share
    Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I dont think anyone knows how to do that because most of Harrisons hits are not dirty. The league is making them dirty. I have no clue what Harrison can do shy of just pulling the QB's pants down. Harrison gets flagged for NOT leading with the helmet, he gets flagged for landing on someone even when he puts his hands down to break the fall. The league needs to show Harrison how they want him to tackle because I'm telling you his coaches dont even know. If he just pushes them down he will get flagged for unsportaman like conduct. I dont think there is anything that he can be done except for Harrison to hang it up or stop rushing the passer.....
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You're right, Harrison is not a dirty player. He never has been and never will be. There are not dirty players on this team. The NFL wants to make their league a less impactful, less violent, league, that much is abundantly clear. Harrison and the other big hitters are going to have to change how they play the game. No matter how much Tomlin wants to deny it, or the players want to complain they will have too if they want to stay away from the fines. They can't stop every one, sometimes the officials will just throw the flag because that's what they do. They will need to at some point adapt to the new NFL, as sad as that is.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I think we should sit Harrison down. It may be the only way to get the league to stop targeting us. The league doesn't want Harrison in the league anymore. It's obvious to me and everyone else. You can't make fundamental changes to the game in the middle of the season on players. It isn't right or fair.

But Goodall did just that. So let's just bring Harrison in on obvious passing downs and slowly phase him out. Because the league doesn't want him in the game anymore.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I think we should sit Harrison down. It may be the only way to get the league to stop targeting us. The league doesn't want Harrison in the league anymore. It's obvious to me and everyone else. You can't make fundamental changes to the game in the middle of the season on players. It isn't right or fair.

But Goodall did just that. So let's just bring Harrison in on obvious passing downs and slowly phase him out. Because the league doesn't want him in the game anymore.
    lol sit Harrisson down before the nastiest game of the season....you're kidding right?

Draft Pick
    I say, just keep hitting hard and often! Screw the NY offices. These men are exactly that, grown men. Goodell want a pansies league? Well, I say not by the sacrifice of the Steelers . Tomlin can just keep kiss my ***!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    When Ryan Clark was flagged last week against the Oakland Raiders, it was because he launched, with his helmet first, into the back of the player. which is not legal, and have not been legal for a period of time. Most Steelers fans needs to distinguish between the helmet to helmet fines and Penalties where there have been launching with the helmet first.

There is no doubt that the helmet to helmet hits are serious, and it is great that the NFL have been focusing on them, but the fines are unheard of. It is not solely the defenders fault when those things happen, as there are various things which happens in order for the collusion to happen:

1. The defender gets ready to tackle
    2. The ball carrier / catcher gets ready to make a football move and then sees a person close in fast on you. Unless your Seymour, your first reaction will be to crumple a little bit. If the defender already started to tackle towards the stomach area, it does not take a lot of crumpling before the helmets collide.
    3. The Carrier / receiver can easily have been tackled beforehand by another player, which would have caused him to change position.

A question that NEEDS to be made here is, does an offensive player get fined if it is obvious that the given player takes a certain amount of blame for the hit?

With this being said, there is not way this justifies the launching which players have been doing this season. Not just Steelers players, but players all over the NFL. The rule is not new, and it riddles me that most players are unable to make a simple tackle, where you wrap up the player. Same thing goes with a shoulder tackle. It is football basics, and a lot of players are forgetting about it.
    the problem with this is that part of the game is making a reciver afraid to catch the ball. intimidation of that fact that he is going to feel pain is part of the game. the problem i have and mark sclereth or how ever his name is spelled from espn brought this point up. the players know this is a violent game, they signed on knowin this is a violent game. injuries happen, concussions happen it's unavoidable, goodell wont be happy unless pass rushers just have to touch the qb for it to be down, and i think the biggest problem now is you have recivers ducking when they get hit just to get the flag.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    You're right, Harrison is not a dirty player. He never has been and never will be. There are not dirty players on this team. The NFL wants to make their league a less impactful, less violent, league, that much is abundantly clear. Harrison and the other big hitters are going to have to change how they play the game. No matter how much Tomlin wants to deny it, or the players want to complain they will have too if they want to stay away from the fines. They can't stop every one, sometimes the officials will just throw the flag because that's what they do. They will need to at some point adapt to the new NFL, as sad as that is.
    I know and I agree with you, but what is it they want from him? They need to show him on film what they want from him. To tell you the truth, I have no clue as to whats clean. It seems like the rules are different for him, then for everyone else. look at the hits Ben takes frm Bart Scott, and tell me Harrison is hitting harder then that...
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

and tomlin needs to stand up for his players instead of playing the pulic relations game,
    he and the rooney's need to publicly call goodell out. if art was still around i gurantee he would have his foot so far up goodell, *bleep*that goodell would be walking peg legged for the rest of his life

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    I dont think anyone knows how to do that because most of Harrisons hits are not dirty. The league is making them dirty. I have no clue what Harrison can do shy of just pulling the QB's pants down. Harrison gets flagged for NOT leading with the helmet, he gets flagged for landing on someone even when he puts his hands down to break the fall. The league needs to show Harrison how they want him to tackle because I'm telling you his coaches dont even know. If he just pushes them down he will get flagged for unsportaman like conduct. I dont think there is anything that he can be done except for Harrison to hang it up or stop rushing the passer.....
    Here, here! Well said!!
    Yep, I downloaded that hit on the Raiders QB and watched it several times. NO WAY James coulda done that one any better--didn't lead with helmet, didn't roll up on his ankles, and didn't lay out on top of him to drive him into the ground (at least that's what OUR eyes showed us--the refs tend to see things differently )

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Right now, I disagree. From the start of training camp, every team in the NFL not only spends hours evaluating players, installing its' playbook and getting ready for the season, but they also go to great lengths to educate their players about new rules, policies and procedures for the coming season. It is difficult enough to expect players who have been playing the game a certain way for 20+ years to suddenly change their approach, but now Goodell just 'expects' these men to also adapt to his new policies concerning illegal hits. Go ahead and make these changes and apply them to the following season and I will make no argument other than the obvious which I have argued at will which is to let these guys play the damn game! Tackling is as much a part of the game of football as catching a fly ball is in baseball. So if Bud Selig says in mid-July next season that all pop-ups and fly-balls must be caught using two hands or the fielder is fined you mean to tell me people won't go nuts?

Goodell's idea of the NFL blows and I agree we need to adjust, but we should be forced to adjust at a fair time not when Adolf, errrrrrr, Roger says so.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Thread Information