Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like it or not, Harrison & the defense are going to have to adjust to the NFL

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Like it or not, Harrison & the defense are going to have to adjust to the NFL

I'm the first one in line to defend Harrison on the bogus flags and fines, and the holding against him that never gets called. Trust me, I'm not defending the NFL here because I think what they are doing to the game is bogus and unnecessary. The game has been this way for decades, and now to change it mid stream was the dumbest move ever by a power hungry commissioner. The problem here is that the NFL did indeed change the way they call the game, mid season, and it's going to be all out of whack for the rest of the 2010 campaign. Things will get get sorted out over the offseason, the NFL has a lot of work to do to clarify what actually is a defenseless player. Also how to teach these officials to not throw the flag just because.

Like it not though, it's not going to go away. Harrison is going to have to find a way to adjust his game, as is the entire defense. You can't keep breaking the rules, no matter how stupid they are, and then throw a fit about it and complain when you get fined. Like I said, I think it stinks, but the NFL isn't going to change their stance now on hits so teams are going to have to alter their style of play somehow. The players will need to find a way to still play hard but steer clear of the flags. Sometimes you can't help it, as is the case with many of the flags & fines, because the officials now are of the mindset of toss the flag if they think it might be a foul. It ain't pretty, but it is what it is now.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    You can't keep breaking the rules, no matter how stupid they are, and then throw a fit about it and complain when you get fined.
    That's just it though. I truly believe that most of the time when he gets fined, he isn't breaking any rules.

I totally agree TG! You can like the rules or not, but as long as they are in use, you have to respect them. Especially about leading with the helmet, and that rule have even been in place for some time.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    But the fact is, he is going to have to adjust his play. The NFL isn't going to back down so by him playing the way he always does, he is going to continue to get flagged and fined. Whether or not we think he is breaking the rules, the officials are now so scared to not throw the flag that they are going to more often that not. I understand where he is coming from, he's a passionate football player who plays the game how it is supposed to be played. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want it played that way, they want skirts on the QB's and WR's, and they want to make themselves look like the Non Impact league now.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I think Mike Tomlin's obvious disdain for that call when asked what he thought at the press conference sums up my disgust too. If the NFL wants to make the change, they should just throw the flag and call it good. There should not be fines or suspensions in addition to giving the opposition a first down. The fact that we could lose Harrison next week in a division game over this BS is disheartening and disgusting.
    :logospin:

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    But the fact is, he is going to have to adjust his play. The NFL isn't going to back down so by him playing the way he always does, he is going to continue to get flagged and fined. Whether or not we think he is breaking the rules, the officials are now so scared to not throw the flag that they are going to more often that not. I understand where he is coming from, he's a passionate football player who plays the game how it is supposed to be played. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want it played that way, they want skirts on the QB's and WR's, and they want to make themselves look like the Non Impact league now.
    He plays the way he always has, he gets fined or flagged. He alters his play, he's ineffective. It's a lose lose situation. He can't win.

I agree...****ing league taking away my Steelers D!!

When Ryan Clark was flagged last week against the Oakland Raiders, it was because he launched, with his helmet first, into the back of the player. which is not legal, and have not been legal for a period of time. Most Steelers fans needs to distinguish between the helmet to helmet fines and Penalties where there have been launching with the helmet first.

There is no doubt that the helmet to helmet hits are serious, and it is great that the NFL have been focusing on them, but the fines are unheard of. It is not solely the defenders fault when those things happen, as there are various things which happens in order for the collusion to happen:

1. The defender gets ready to tackle
    2. The ball carrier / catcher gets ready to make a football move and then sees a person close in fast on you. Unless your Seymour, your first reaction will be to crumple a little bit. If the defender already started to tackle towards the stomach area, it does not take a lot of crumpling before the helmets collide.
    3. The Carrier / receiver can easily have been tackled beforehand by another player, which would have caused him to change position.

A question that NEEDS to be made here is, does an offensive player get fined if it is obvious that the given player takes a certain amount of blame for the hit?

With this being said, there is not way this justifies the launching which players have been doing this season. Not just Steelers players, but players all over the NFL. The rule is not new, and it riddles me that most players are unable to make a simple tackle, where you wrap up the player. Same thing goes with a shoulder tackle. It is football basics, and a lot of players are forgetting about it.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Glad to see Troy actually acting like a saftey!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Glad to see Troy actually acting like a saftey!
    Glad I'm not the only one to notice.
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Thread Information