Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziggy Hood

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    the best game of his pro career? what statistically? 3 tackles among laying on the ground just as much as usual? yeah i guess thats progress
    Sounds like Woodley the first half of last year and the entire season this year. Just take out the falling on the ground part and insert playing pattycake with right tackles.

just a note on al woods.

Buccaneers Release DT Ryan Sims
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have released defensive tackle Ryan Sims, Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune reports.

The sixth overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs, Sims (6-4, 315) was traded to the Buccaneers during the 2007 off-season. In 46 games (19 starts) over the last 3+ seasons for Tampa Bay, Sims totaled 69 tackles and 3.5 quarterback sacks.

In six games this season, Sims has four tackles and has lost playing time to rookie Al Woods, who had been signed off the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad earlier this season.

In a 35-3 blowout I would have decent stats on the D line. For the record I am 6'2" 185 lbs. I can probably run a 7.8 40 and bench 225 exactly 1 time. As long as my back held up I would have kicked Dick Seymours ***.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ziggy did have his best game to date, Wolf talked about his impact during his podcast this week. Say what you want, but without Aaron Smith in the lineup our run defense was horrific and our defense in general sucked. Now this year, Smith is still out, and Keisel is out and we are still leading the league in run defense and we had an awesome game last week.

Hood may not be solely responsible for that but you can bet he had something to do with it. Give the man credit! Steelers DL never get a bunch of tackles, hardly ever make the highlight reel. They hold their blocks and stop the run, that's what they do. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    They hold their blocks and stop the run, that's what they do. PERIOD.
    The LB's blitz thru the holes that hood helps make. Farrior had some holes and played great.

We need more mixes in our blitzes... CB, ILB, S..

We just need to press coverage and blitz like crazy... hopefully we are back to that now and not this other crap we've seen with the pats and saints ...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right, the DL job in our defense is to hold their ground and keep their blockers engaged so the LB's can shoot the gaps to get to the QB or make the tackle on the ball carrier. Occasionally they'll but through and be able to make a tackle to get their names on the stat sheet, but not often. They are the main reason that we can stop the run as well as we have over the years.

If they do their job, they force the RB to go where the defense wants him too so they can make the tackle. So far this year it's been working like a charm even without Smith & Keisel.

For anyone grading Ziggy performance based on how many tackles he make, doesn't know anything about 3-4 DE responsibility. Kiesel, and Smith could go a whole season and make less then 25 tackles. The 3-4 DE job is to occupy 2 blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. So instead of counting tackles of DE look at the overall performance of the front seven. And outside of the game against the Pats; (which know Steelers could say they played well) The front seven have played great, even without Keisle and Smith

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    For anyone grading Ziggy performance based on how many tackles he make, doesn't know anything about 3-4 DE responsibility. Kiesel, and Smith could go a whole season and make less then 25 tackles. The 3-4 DE job is to occupy 2 blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. So instead of counting tackles of DE look at the overall performance of the front seven. And outside of the game against the Pats; (which know Steelers could say they played well) The front seven have played great, even without Keisle and Smith
    exactly...so saying he had his best game because he had 3 tackles is just as ridiculous as saying he didnt have a good game cause he only had 3 tackles.

a blowout against a pretty bad team and an even worse right side of an oline doesnt impress me. at least he didnt make a complete fool out of himself this week. i wouldnt be surprised if he had a good game against the bills too, he could make his entire career out of just going after the QB in a blowout....which in a 43 hed do almost all the time, which is why hes better suited for that UT role

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    I hear what you're saying and I agree. However, I don't think the people who are giving him credit are doing so based on the amount of tackles he made. What I saw out of him (in addition to the 3 tackles) is someone who was occupying multiple blockers so that the LBs could shoot through the gaps and make tackles. He was also getting pressure on both QBs. As a whole, the front seven got it done against one of the top rushing attacks in the league.

I thought he did pretty well. We are spoiled with Smith in there. Hood will eventually be solid, hopefully. He is just a victim of being a first round pick for now; he has high expectations.

Thread Information