Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben calling plays

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Ben calling plays

I have read and listened to all the concerns about Arians' play calling abilities and lack of adjustments with pesonnel and in game situations, and I totally agree. However, my question is this, Do you think that Ben has the ability to call his own plays the entire game from what he sees is happening throughout down and distant and situations with personnel? I know he calls his own plays during the no huddle, but does he have the capabilities to do it the whole game, similar to Peyton manning? I mean afterall, Ben is a top 5 QB in the league and I'm sure he has a vast knowledge of the play book.
    If he were to do this and move the chains, would he be benched, fined, or praised by Tomlin?
    Just wanted to get some opinons, 'cause something NEEDS to happen...and it needs to happen fast!

Quote Originally Posted by chisteeler View Post
    I have read and listened to all the concerns about Arians' play calling abilities and lack of adjustments with pesonnel and in game situations, and I totally agree. However, my question is this, Do you think that Ben has the ability to call his own plays the entire game from what he sees is happening throughout down and distant and situations with personnel? I know he calls his own plays during the no huddle, but does he have the capabilities to do it the whole game, similar to Peyton manning? I mean afterall, Ben is a top 5 QB in the league and I'm sure he has a vast knowledge of the play book.
    If he were to do this and move the chains, would he be benched, fined, or praised by Tomlin?
    Just wanted to get some opinons, 'cause something NEEDS to happen...and it needs to happen fast!
    Arians Q&A

Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

My Mood
    Addicted
    Batch would call a better game the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Arians Q&A

Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Really?? Mendy had 11 touches last game...Yea yea yea we were down, but a two posession game doesn't mean you have to drop the run, Ben throwing 49 times is what BA wants!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    I think what he meant to say is something along the lines of this:

"I can't change what the game plan is. No seriously. I only know 4 plays. I'm physically incapable of changing the game plan. If someone doesn't step up and make me look good, well then, it's their fault. Not mine. Don't look at me."

3rd and 6 from our own 5, f it lets throw a 40 yard bomb (incomplete)...

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    3rd and 6 from our own 5, f it lets throw a 40 yard bomb (incomplete)...
    I'm all for it on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 6, but on 3rd down, sh*t, you might as well punt on 3rd down.

Amazing, no designed roll outs, misdirections, I don't get it. The basic dive stuff doesn't even work on Madden. My favorite formation is 3 wide, Mendy single set, Heath TE. Hard to load the box against that formation, hard to defense 4 legit pass catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I'm all for it on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 6, but on 3rd down, sh*t, you might as well punt on 3rd down.

Amazing, no designed roll outs, misdirections, I don't get it. The basic dive stuff doesn't even work on Madden. My favorite formation is 3 wide, Mendy single set, Heath TE. Hard to load the box against that formation, hard to defense 4 legit pass catchers.
    I've said it all along, Ben is money out of the pocket so why not design a few plays that has him rolling out etc etc???

Last edited by LatrobePA; 11-19-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Agreed. Ben is the best QB in the league out of the pocket. Some designed rollouts might help reduce the amount of pressure he sees while in the pocket. Other teams do it, so I can't understand why the Steelers can't with such a talented somewhat mobile QB.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben calls his own plays in the no huddle or hurry up offenses. In years past that setup has been money almost every time we run it. This year though every time they try and run the no huddle it's a complete disaster. They look completely out sync, Ben is changing plays at the line 2 or 3 times, then calls a timeout. For whatever reason it just isn't working this year at all.

Thread Information