Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ben calling plays

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    363

    Ben calling plays

    I have read and listened to all the concerns about Arians' play calling abilities and lack of adjustments with pesonnel and in game situations, and I totally agree. However, my question is this, Do you think that Ben has the ability to call his own plays the entire game from what he sees is happening throughout down and distant and situations with personnel? I know he calls his own plays during the no huddle, but does he have the capabilities to do it the whole game, similar to Peyton manning? I mean afterall, Ben is a top 5 QB in the league and I'm sure he has a vast knowledge of the play book.
    If he were to do this and move the chains, would he be benched, fined, or praised by Tomlin?
    Just wanted to get some opinons, 'cause something NEEDS to happen...and it needs to happen fast!

  2. #2
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,945
    Quote Originally Posted by chisteeler View Post
    I have read and listened to all the concerns about Arians' play calling abilities and lack of adjustments with pesonnel and in game situations, and I totally agree. However, my question is this, Do you think that Ben has the ability to call his own plays the entire game from what he sees is happening throughout down and distant and situations with personnel? I know he calls his own plays during the no huddle, but does he have the capabilities to do it the whole game, similar to Peyton manning? I mean afterall, Ben is a top 5 QB in the league and I'm sure he has a vast knowledge of the play book.
    If he were to do this and move the chains, would he be benched, fined, or praised by Tomlin?
    Just wanted to get some opinons, 'cause something NEEDS to happen...and it needs to happen fast!
    Arians Q&A

    Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

    A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

    Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

    A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

  3. #3
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Batch would call a better game the BA!

  4. #4
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,604
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Arians Q&A

    Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

    A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

    Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

    A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

    Really?? Mendy had 11 touches last game...Yea yea yea we were down, but a two posession game doesn't mean you have to drop the run, Ben throwing 49 times is what BA wants!!

  5. #5
    steelersbabex25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    12,055
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”
    I think what he meant to say is something along the lines of this:

    "I can't change what the game plan is. No seriously. I only know 4 plays. I'm physically incapable of changing the game plan. If someone doesn't step up and make me look good, well then, it's their fault. Not mine. Don't look at me."

  6. #6
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,604
    3rd and 6 from our own 5, f it lets throw a 40 yard bomb (incomplete)...

  7. #7
    Starter Goodfrom55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    3rd and 6 from our own 5, f it lets throw a 40 yard bomb (incomplete)...
    I'm all for it on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 6, but on 3rd down, sh*t, you might as well punt on 3rd down.

    Amazing, no designed roll outs, misdirections, I don't get it. The basic dive stuff doesn't even work on Madden. My favorite formation is 3 wide, Mendy single set, Heath TE. Hard to load the box against that formation, hard to defense 4 legit pass catchers.

  8. #8
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I'm all for it on 1st & 10 or 2nd and 6, but on 3rd down, sh*t, you might as well punt on 3rd down.

    Amazing, no designed roll outs, misdirections, I don't get it. The basic dive stuff doesn't even work on Madden. My favorite formation is 3 wide, Mendy single set, Heath TE. Hard to load the box against that formation, hard to defense 4 legit pass catchers.
    I've said it all along, Ben is money out of the pocket so why not design a few plays that has him rolling out etc etc???

    Last edited by LatrobePA; 11-19-2010 at 03:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Starter Goodfrom55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    2,000
    Agreed. Ben is the best QB in the league out of the pocket. Some designed rollouts might help reduce the amount of pressure he sees while in the pocket. Other teams do it, so I can't understand why the Steelers can't with such a talented somewhat mobile QB.

  10. #10
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben calls his own plays in the no huddle or hurry up offenses. In years past that setup has been money almost every time we run it. This year though every time they try and run the no huddle it's a complete disaster. They look completely out sync, Ben is changing plays at the line 2 or 3 times, then calls a timeout. For whatever reason it just isn't working this year at all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. We need a change!
    By jtretz in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM
  2. Fast Willie's Big Plays Have Disappeared
    By NOVA STEELERS in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
  3. Sacks a worry, but Steelers making big plays in preseason
    By AZ_Steeler in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
  4. Pressure from non-blitzers the key.....
    By DIESELMAN in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
  5. The Gospel: Ravens-Steelers Breakdown
    By Iron City South in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •