Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would have prefered Matt Stover over Suisham...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

I would have prefered Matt Stover over Suisham...

While I was all for letting Jeff Reed go and have been one of the main ones screaming on here for him to get the boot I was still hoping that Tomlin and Colbert would find a guy who is an adaquete replacement for Jeff Reed and has experience kicking in big games in his career specifically in the playoffs. When I first saw the Suisham signing yesterday I didnt have too big of a problem with it, but after looking at it today more and breaking down his numbers and the miss that he had last year from 23 yards against the Saints that is known as the "The Choke" I am not so sure that I have confidence in Suisham coming in and kicking a game winning mid-range FG to win a game which you know at some point here soon maybe even this week or definitely in Baltimore he is going to need to do. I had mentioned this on here a few days ago and I would have prefered if the Steelers had went out and signed a proven guy who has kicked in big games and in playoff games and that guy is Matt Stover. Stover also is very very familiar with Heinz Field seeing that he has kicked for the Ravens his entire career before signing with the Colts last season when Vinatieri got hurt. Kicking as much as it is physical and being able to kick I think it is more mental then anything. And I just dont know if Suisham seeing all the key misses that he has had in his career despite his 80 percent ratio of making kicks has the mental makeup to come in and hit a big game winning FG in the playoffs or in a game in December that can win you the division or put you in the playoffs. A guy like Matt Stover who has a proven resume and a proven track record does.

So while the Steelers signed Suisham and said all the right things about him yesterday they still need to watch this guy and watch him very closely because if he starts missing kicks his first and second game then youre really going to have a serious problem. Im just saying Matt Stover is still out there and Im sure if the Steelers gave him a call he would definitely be interested, so if Suisham should **** the bed here kicking these first few weeks then I think they can not hesitate or think twice about cutting ties immediately with him and going out and getting a proven guy who has the mental makeup to kick in the playoffs and big games like Matt Stover. I just do not feel that or see that with Shaun Suisham. I really hope he proves me wrong but I definitely do have my worries about him...

The margin for error for Suisham will be pretty small. Only problem with Stover is his inability to kickoff, where Suisham is pretty good at it. Some argue that Sepulveda can kick off. From what I saw this summer and pre-season, I don't know if that is a viable solution either.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    The margin for error for Suisham will be pretty small. Only problem with Stover is his inability to kickoff, where Suisham is pretty good at it. Some argue that Sepulveda can kick off. From what I saw this summer and pre-season, I don't know if that is a viable solution either.
    I understand what youre saying but I just do not have a good feeling about Suisham as compared to a guy like Stover. Id rather have Stover kickoff a bit shorter if he is going to hit game winning clutch FG's like he always has the majority of his career. We havent seen any evidence of that on Suisham's resume. I hope he kicks well and does the job but it will not shock me if the Steelers within another week or two are looking for another kicker and realize they made a big mistake signing Suisham over a proven guy like Matt Stover...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Stover has no leg left to make long kicks. He's been around forever. Suisham, atleast in theory, has plenty of leg and decent accuracy to the long ones. I'm guessing they are assuming that Suisham can make all the normal kicks inside the 40 and beyond that he has a better chance of nailing them than Stover would.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Please Stover is what like 77 a 40yds FG is prolly pushing it...

Im sure they tried out Shawn before giving him a locker
    Last edited by Zachintosh66; 11-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Please Stover is what like 77 a 40yds FG is prolly pushing it...

Im sure they tried out Shawn before giving him a locker
    Stover was 9 of 11 kicking last year with Indy at 41 years of age. He was 5 for 6 on attempts from 30-39 yards, 2 for 2 on FG's 40-49 yards and 0-1 from 50 plus, So he still has what it takes to get it done. Like I said kicking is more a mental toughness then it is having a strong leg or what not. Stover has kicked in big games and in key clutch situations throughout his career and made a lot of those kicks. Suisham hasnt and his results and resume from last year where he shanked that 23 yarder against the Saints that would have sealed the game,and his two playoff misses last year with the Cowboys in Minnesota speak for themselves. All Im saying is the guy is not very good. I hope Im wrong and he does well but dont be surprised if he doesnt you heard it here first...

Stover kicking in dome 2-2 from 40 -49 doesn't translate well to Heinz field, imho. If Sushi can kick off to the endzone it already an improvement,after all anything over 40 this year was pretty much a crap shoot

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I really don't know much about Suisham.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

I'd rather had Cam Cameron over Bruce Arians!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Swishy has kicked in some less than opportune scenarios.....
    Steeler Stover would have been cool just for the fact it would be a big FU to the raisin nation,
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Thread Information