Thread: Tomlin becoming clueless with clock management...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Clowns

Tomlin becoming clueless with clock management...

It just always seems as if the Steelers offense especially in the last 2 minutes of the half or of the game going back to the Dolphins game 3-4 games ago are just not aware of the situation or how to manage the clock and use timeouts. I think BRC pointed this out the other night in a thread that even though the Steelers were down 39-26 with 1:30 left they still were driving and had the ball at the Pats 40 yard line with about 45-50 seconds left and yet Tomlin continued to let the clock run down to under 30 seconds before he used his last timeout. And to top it off the playcalling was absolutely atrocious and all they did was dink and dunk to Moore instead of trying to take a shot in the end zone with the speed of Wallace 2 or 3 times to see if they could get a TD with 30 seconds and make it 39-33 and at least try an onside kick so you can maybe throw one hail mary pass into the end zone. Now I know it probably wouldnt have happened but that's still not the point. You gotta at least be aware of the situation and play until the last second when you still had a mathematical chance to win the game. Look at what happened with the Jags on Sunday they throw a hail mary up and it gets caught and they win the game. You just never know. This coaching staff with Tomlin and Arians is plain dumb and ignorant when it comes to clock management before the half or in key situations and it's becoming more and more evident here ever since the Miami game. And I just have a bad feeling it's going to continue to costs the Steelers points before the half in every game because they just do not know what the hell they are doing it's clear as day...

Tomlin is still wet behind the ears...Even the "best" HC's out there make mistakes when it comes to the clock.

I don't cut him much slack, but in this case I kinda do...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Clowns
    Smart coaches are aware of the clock and how to manage it in key situations. As much as I dislike John Harbaugh of the Ravens clock management,timeout usage,and challenging plays are things he does very very well. He does it head and shoulder better then Mike Tomlin does. And he became a head coach the same season as Tomlin did. Is Tomlin just plain dumb,stupid or ignorant when it comes to doing this, or he is more concerned with just pumping his fist and wearing his hat low with that sour puss look on his face?? I just wonder sometimes...

My Mood
    Love
    I guess being an NFL coach does not excuse him. We all know he's better than that. What he's thinking though is entirely different.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Clock management has been an issue for years with the Steelers. It used to be in the last 2 minutes we'd go right down and score atleast a FG. Lately though they have the strangest plays called and take forever executing each one of them.

Unless the game is on the line, the defense will usually go into a prevent mode to not allow a big play down field and that's your prime opportunity to score and recently it's been a nightmare for us.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Can we also point out the onside kick with 7 MINUTES LEFT? Come on. You can't trust the defense in a game that they've been completely flopping in.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Can we also point out the onside kick with 7 MINUTES LEFT? Come on. You can't trust the defense in a game that they've been completely flopping in.
    I may get killed for this one but I don't think it was a terrible idea kicking that onside kick. We needed to get points on the board in a hurry, and we needed to stop Patriots for doing the same thing, which we had proved we were not able to. This was not just a way of getting to score points, it was also a matter of keeping the ball out of the hands of Brady.

We did the same thing against Packers last year. I do admit the score looked different, but the reasoning was more or less the same. If you are unable to stop an offense, you need to keep the ball out of the hands of their QB, which you don't do by kicking the ball to them.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information