Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense knew it was coming but couldn't stop it

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defense knew it was coming but couldn't stop it

Everybody knew that the Patriots were going to get back to basics tonight after getting embarrassed last weekend. They were going to use Brady the way they have for years with that short passing game. Harrison and Woodley were dropping back in coverage a fair amount during the game trying to clog that middle zone, but Brady still found ways to exploit it.

You just can't allow them that much free space and expect to win the game. When they did blitz and got in Brady's face they had some success in stopping them. IMO they didn't do that enough tonight. Possibly fearing giving up the big play down field? Then Timmons went out and that didn't help matters any.

Speaking of the big plays, each time Brady did the play action they fell for it every single time and gave up a big play. It's not like the Pats were running the ball at all tonight, but for whatever reason they couldn't stop biting on it.

If Crezdon Butler doesn't dress and we don't sign a kicker to compete with Reed, I've lost all faith in the coaching staff.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I recall on the first game of the season, I came on here and said the secondary still wasn't very good. AND I RECALL that I got my head cut off for it. Well here ya go folks, this is what I was talking about. It hasn't been recognized in games that we've played before this one, because those teams weren't smart enough to realize that our pass defense is absolutely pathetic. But here we are, faced with an opponent who is smart enough to realize that they could get away with 5-8 yard dumps all game without the secondary making any adjustments.

Not only that, everytime there was an incompletion, it was like the defense had made an extraordinary play. Like ALRIGHT we got an incompletion. That's when you know somethings wrong. I shouldn't be jumping out of my chair cheering everytime Tom Brady misses a reciever. That should be happening a lot more often. But it isn't. And teams are gonna start to realize that and they're gonna pick us apart.

Side note: WHY IN GODS NAME are they putting William Gay in coverage again? The beginning of the season they had it right. Put him in for the nickel plays, don't ever ever ever put him in coverage ever again. Didn't we find out that that was not such a smart idea when he got smoked by every single reciever that he faced last year? Come on LeBeau. That one's on you. STOP PUTTING WILLIAM GAY IN COVERAGE. He's not made to be a corner!
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 11-15-2010 at 12:03 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They were improved the first 4 games. They were making plays everywhere, but since then it's been nothing but problems for all of them.

My Mood
    Love
    They soundedly got beaten. Steelers had no answer for them.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Secondary is only good as its pass rush......I'm sticking up for the secondary at all but how can any fan just blame the secondary.....The entire defense is to blame even LeBeau.......Now defense just didn't lose this either since the offense added its own stink up the joint performance.....Just saying Brady had a clean pocket all night and really wasn't hurried that much.....Even a great secondary would have struggled tonight......The great Troy P. with yet another silent performance...

I agree with whoever said Butler should dress and be active on game days....Butler fits our defense well in its zone principles and has a good knack for the ball.....He couldn't do any worse at this point....lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's no doubt the pass rush was non existent tonight. The Steeler secondary always has needed a solid pass rush to be effective, it's how the 34 really works when you don't use pure cover corners. The entire unit has zero pressure on Brady, and zero answer for anything they did virtually all night.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Secondary is only good as its pass rush......I'm sticking up for the secondary at all but how can any fan just blame the secondary.....The entire defense is to blame even LeBeau.......Now defense just didn't lose this either since the offense added its own stink up the joint performance.....Just saying Brady had a clean pocket all night and really wasn't hurried that much.....Even a great secondary would have struggled tonight......The great Troy P. with yet another silent performance...

I agree with whoever said Butler should dress and be active on game days....Butler fits our defense well in its zone principles and has a good knack for the ball.....He couldn't do any worse at this point....lol
    Don't get me wrong, the whole defense played a pretty putrid game, but even if you don't get to the quarterback you shouldn't be allowing Brady to complete all of those passes. After the first quarter you discover that all they're doing is throwing short dump passes for 7 yards. Then you gotta make the adjustment and start playing tighter and stop giving all that stuff up. That's all you need to do. But they didn't.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the whole defense played a pretty putrid game, but even if you don't get to the quarterback you shouldn't be allowing Brady to complete all of those passes. After the first quarter you discover that all they're doing is throwing short dump passes for 7 yards. Then you gotta make the adjustment and start playing tighter and stop giving all that stuff up. That's all you need to do. But they didn't.
    Bum QBs, rookie QB's pick apart our defense when they have time....What do you expect a 3 time Super Bowl Hall of Fame QB to do with all the time to grill a steak in the pocket..........

Adjustments....You're kidding right?....I love LeBeau to death but it seems if he is making adjustments then they're not working.....So leaves me to believe he has the BA attitude we're going to do what we do no matter what the other team is doing......Maybe its time for the old man to retire.....I don't want to see him go but I'm sick of seeing this defense just flat out suck....I also don't if the players are thinking to much out there since if they hit to hard they will be fined or suspended.....its just a bunch of blah right now.....

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Brady tore this defense up plain and simple. I HATE losing to the patriots, but they came in and laid it to us. Short pass after short pass after touchdown our defense couldn't stop them tonight and I agree with steelersbabe on the part where you shouldn't have to jump out of your seat because Brady got an incompletion lol he had NOBODY on him all night, he got knocked down maybe twice. The finishing touch was him spiking the ball in our endzone, that's when you knew the Steelers were done tonight

Thread Information