Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers defensive meltdown ranks this season

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Steelers defensive meltdown ranks this season

First 3 quarters: PPG Allowed: 1st YPG Allowed: 2
    fourth quarter: PPG Allowed: 28th YPG Allowed: 32

That's disgusting, embarrasing numbers. I saw these cracks coming since the Super Bowl game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...arter-troubles

When the Pittsburgh Steelers took a 27-7 lead over the Cincinnati Bengals early in the fourth quarter Monday night, the thousands of Steelers fans in attendance at Paul Brown Stadium undoubtedly began to turn their thoughts to the team’s week 10 showdown with the New England Patriots.

And who could blame them? Never in the 77-year history of the Steelers has the team lost a game it led by at least 20 points. And no team has overcome a 20-point, fourth-quarter deficit in nearly four years, since the Tennessee Titans beat the New York Giants 24-21 in week 12 of the 2006 season.

But over the following 14:50, the same Steelers defense that held the Bengals to seven points and 156 yards through three quarters allowed 14 points, 116 yards and was a Jordan Shipley drop away from giving Cincinnati four shots to win the game from the 5-yard line. The Steelers’ late meltdown is the latest in a disturbing trend for one of the league’s premier defenses.

Pittsburgh has allowed an NFL-best 123 points through nine weeks, but more than half -- 63 to be exact -- have come in the fourth quarter. It’s not a one-year phenomenon for the Steelers, who allowed more fourth-quarter points than all but two teams in 2009, and let up 16 unanswered points in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIII before coming back to win.

Three of Pittsburgh’s seven losses last season came after it led by more than a field goal entering the final quarter, shocking when you consider in the previous 10 seasons (1999-2008) the Steelers were 75-3-1 in games where they led by at least four entering the last quarter, the best record in the NFL. Since 2009, Pittsburgh is 10-3 in such games, the league’s 27th-best record.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Dissapointing, but it's nothing new. That's the way the Steelers have played since the year they won the superbowl. They always allow that one last touchdown, whether the game is close or not. As long as they keep winning games regardless, it's not a problem to me.

Wins 6 losses 2 !! That's the only stat that counts. If you have not figured out that the defense is meant to bend not break ya really need to start paying attention.Do I like the fact they give up alot of points late no but the bottom line is wins.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Love
    As long as we win the important games like Sunday, i hope. And if we make the playoffs it's all over for whoever we face.

These so called "meltdowns" are a sign of what the NFL has become. The No deFense League. Another sign of it tonight in Atlanta when they go 80 yards to score a TD in 1:05. It's unfortunate, but the league has so many advantages for the offense now that football has changed. Thanks again Roger Goofball.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    But even though the Steelers defense let the Bengals back in the game they still made plays to win it in the end.....Harrison laying the smack down on 4th down to seal the victory.......

I blame a fair amount of this on the offence. They never seem to effectively take time off the clock in the 4th quarter. I mean Bill Cower football was get a lead, run the ball and kick a field goal here and there to keep the margin safe.

I mean the 4 minute drive they had when it was 27-20 was the first time I saw that in a while but they still missed the fg that would have sealed the deal

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsmith91 View Post
    I blame a fair amount of this on the offence. They never seem to effectively take time off the clock in the 4th quarter. I mean Bill Cower football was get a lead, run the ball and kick a field goal here and there to keep the margin safe.

I mean the 4 minute drive they had when it was 27-20 was the first time I saw that in a while but they still missed the fg that would have sealed the deal
    Blame weak-legged Guido Reed who can't kick 40 yard field goals anymore.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    Blame weak-legged Guido Reed who can't kick 40 yard field goals anymore.
    Every time I read your post, I watch that Troy tackle about ten times. What a great play by him....love it.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Wins 6 losses 2 !! That's the only stat that counts. If you have not figured out that the defense is meant to bend not break ya really need to start paying attention.Do I like the fact they give up alot of points late no but the bottom line is wins.
    we could of easily been 4-4 from that dolphin and bengals game, it's dissapointing how we are doing the calls on defense.

Thread Information