Thread: Troy calls out the NFL - Goodell has too much power

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Troy calls out the NFL - Goodell has too much power

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-calls-out-nfl

Wednesday, 03 November 2010 14:27
    Written by Ed Bouchette

James Harrison was not immediately available today to speak about his trip to New York to meet with the NFL commissioner, but Troy Polamalu had a few things to say.
    Polamalu, the Steelers’ five-time safety, charged that commissioner Roger Goodell has too much power and said paranoia is rampant around the league since the NFL crackdown on certain hits by defenders.

“It’s football, you know. If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer,’’ Polamalu said during a lunchtime interview. “But, honestly, overseas when people are attracted to this game, they’re going to see the big hits, they’re not going to care about touchdowns and different things. So you’re also taking apart what attracts people to this game.”

Polamalu said he would not have wanted to have a meeting with Goodell to air his opinions, the way the commissioner gave Harrison a chance to do on Tuesday.
    “Sometimes I think it just falls on deaf ears,’’ Polamalu said. “I think a lot of players have said a lot of things and I guarantee you he heard everything everybody said.
    “But, you know, he’s got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government. There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.
    “I don’t think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing.”

Asked if he thought officials were “paranoid” about calling penalties since the crackdown began two weeks ago, Polamalu said he was not sure.
    “I don’t know about the referees’ decisions to maybe need to throw a flag but there is definitely a paranoia that is unneeded. Just because we had that weekend a few weekends ago which there were, I think somebody said, five hits out of 1,000. Yeah, I think there is too much paranoia.”

Polamalu obviously does not agree with the NFL’s crackdown.
    “Do players need more protection? I don’t know. I think in certain instances, yeah, but I don’t think you can just completely make every type of hit obsolete, from horse collar tackling to whatever kind of tackling it is. You just can’t control some of these factors.

“Like James’ big problem was, If I’m aiming for his chest and he lowers his head, that shouldn’t be a fineable hit.”

Polamalu, echoing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin’s sentiments a few weeks ago, said there is no confusion among the players as to what the NFL wants.

“No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

Troy nails this one right on the head! Where are the checks and balances in the NFL? If Goodell wants to do it
    all he has to do is say the word and his cohorts will back him up. It's obvious he certainly
    doesn't listen to player reps or care what they think or we wouldn't have all these stupid,
    blown out of proportion new crack downs on hits.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-03-2010 at 03:45 PM.

“No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

That says it all.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

"No, I don’t think there’s any confusion. I just think the problem is that they’re wrong.”

BEAUTIFUL !
    I love hearing the players speak out!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    "Sometimes it just falls on deaf ears"

lol he's saying Goodell listens, but doesn't understand, and it's true about how much power he has over the league, nobody likes this guy, or agrees with any decisions he makes. Not the players, not the fans.

My Mood
    Love
    Get rid of Goodell. I truly despise people who don't listen to others and are just about themselves. The crackdown has started on YOU GOODELL.

--- Added 11/3/2010 at 03:12 PM ---

Alot of people say Obama is bad for America. I say Goodell is bad for the NFL.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Trap86 View Post
    "Sometimes it just falls on deaf ears"

lol he's saying Goodell listens, but doesn't understand, and it's true about how much power he has over the league, nobody likes this guy, or agrees with any decisions he makes. Not the players, not the fans.
    except for the patriots
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thank you Troy! I also like it when the players speak out. Harrison is not going to be invited to be the keynote speaker at many events except maybe some mafioso hitman summer camp, but as more and more players let their concerns be known, maybe the commish will get the message.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't expect Goodell or the league to respond to Troy's comments, they'll just let it go like they always do. He rarely speaks up to the media about anything like this so for him to speak is nice to hear. I'm sure he echo's the sentiments of players all around the NFL. Perhaps it would make a difference if there were a CBA right now, atleast then the players would have a leg to stand on.

The league IMO could care less, they overreacted to the couple weeks of big hits and now all of the sudden the sky is falling. They certainly won't actually admit they were wrong and lessen the penalties they laid out, they're too concerned about their image with John & Jane Q. American Sports Parent. As long as the public thinks that the NFL is a pansy sport where nobody gets hurt, they are happy.

My Mood
    Addicted

Why doesn't Troy open his mouth more often? He makes a ton of sense.

Troy is fired up!! I like it...
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 11-03-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Thread Information