Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Mike Wallace

Is it just me or is he now entering go-to status on this team?

The speed is no secret to anyone in this league anymore and it's what puts him on the highlight reel just about every week; I'm talking about his overall performance and impact in games.

Not every catch is the cleanest, but I'd have to say he's got above average hands and he's never shown me reason to be concerned with his ability to outright "just catch the ball" (unlike Sweed).

The past couple of weeks the announcers and anyone who pays attention have noticed more than a few of his routes are opening up underneath now and he seems game to go over the middle; which in time will only enhance the dynamic he brings to the game as defenders can now not only lay off and start giving ground at the snap.

I've not heard a single issue of the kid not working hard, never heard him whine for not getting an extra ball or two thrown his way, he seems to know and understand his role. Ben seems to unafraid to look his way in clutch moments which can only build on that confidence.

Last night he BATTLED for the ball, made adjustments on the ball while in the air (that pass by ARE SHOULD have been intercepted but MW just did everything right.

My question to the nation is this, I've been so focused on the OL in the run game I've not really paid attention to his efforts blocking in the run game can anyone provide some insight there?

No disrespect to Harrison whom I saw won a vast majority of the Ironman votes for last night and deservedly so, I just cannot look past what this kid means to the team and how bright his future is.

I'm drinking the kool-aid and my glass is full!

nice to see him get more than 2-3 catches....and once again pulled an amazing adjustment to a very poorly thrown deep ball which seems to be his thing

he is SUCH A PUSSY though, he falls when contact gets within 2 yards of him and cant block anyone.....i really wish he was better in that regard. i guess id prefer that then him fumbling like ward and miller though

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wallace is definitely and emerging star, when you need a big play down the field he is your main target. He's learning to separate himself and get away from the defender to make the catch. I was worried how he would respond going into this year without a guy like Holmes to take the pressure off him but he's really starting to step up and assume the playmaker role.

He still has work to do with route running and learning to block more, but all in all he is making plays, he's fast as helll, and if you get him one on one against anybody in the league I like our chances with Wallace making the play.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    nice to see him get more than 2-3 catches....and once again pulled an amazing adjustment to a very poorly thrown deep ball which seems to be his thing

he is SUCH A PUSSY though, he falls when contact gets within 2 yards of him and cant block anyone.....i really wish he was better in that regard. i guess id prefer that then him fumbling like ward and miller though
    He's so freakin' fast that he actually outruns a lot of those balls aired out to him.

He's young and he'll get better. Ward will help him with his blocking...like he did with Holmes. He'll also add on more bulk (like Holmes did) and will be able to better withstand contact. What I like about him right now is that he's not afraid to go over the middle. If he establishes that part of his game, he's going to be unstoppable.

My Mood
    Fight
    Give him the three year curve, C'mon man!!! LOL
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

My Mood
    Addicted
    There should be at least one 40+ yard throw to him every drive. He catches almost all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    There should be at least one 40+ yard throw to him every drive. He catches almost all of them.
    Think of the potential if it set up by play action pass because of a consistent threat of a running game.

He may not be the best blocker, but he was drafted to catch passes and thankfully that's what he does. The BLocking and other intangibles are a process and as long as the Steelers keep him around (can afford him), I think he will develop into a more complete WR than just a guy that can stretch a defense. But if that's all he can do for now, I'm good with it.

Sanders needs to get more balls thrown his way.

Agreed. He has a unique maturity about him for a rookie. Always seems to be in the right place, right time. Up until Randle El's TD pass, I was lobbying to deactivate Randle El, and dress Brown and Sanders.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Agreed. He has a unique maturity about him for a rookie. Always seems to be in the right place, right time. Up until Randle El's TD pass, I was lobbying to deactivate Randle El, and dress Brown and Sanders.
    Randel El is doing more than I thought he would. He needs to stay away from the kickoffs, but as far as his job as a reciever goes, I think he's making some serious contributions. He's been making some clutch catches and he's always the threat for the trick play. I'm not itching to extend his contract for 10 years but he's alright.

Thread Information