Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers and Panthers were preseason favorites

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06347/745643-66.stm

But things haven't gone exactly as planned
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers take another dip into the reflecting pool Sunday when they play the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, N.C., where a Super Bowl parade was considered a good bet next February.

As they did a few weeks ago when they played Tampa Bay, it's another game between teams with Super Bowl dreams gone bust. The Panthers were an early favorite to represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLI against a team from the AFC, perhaps the Steelers. Carolina reached the NFC championship game last season after going 11-5 in the regular season.

Instead, the teams lug identical 6-7 records into Sunday's 1 p.m. kickoff that not one network tried to move to a later time. Both teams technically remain alive for a playoff berth but are on life support and either one can pull the plug on the other Sunday.

"I'm sure they are disappointed as we are," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "Like I said, their opportunity is probably a little better than ours right now because of the conference they are in. But the records are the same. We understand the importance of all three of these games."

Wild-card berths in the NFC are likely to go to teams that have one fewer victory than the wild-card teams in the AFC. The big reason for that: The AFC is 35-21 against the NFC and has not lost the interconference series since 1995, peaking when the younger conference steamrolled the NFC, 44-20, in 2004.

The Steelers have won 10 of their past 11 games against NFC teams, dating to 2003. Their only loss came in

overtime at Atlanta this season.

"Those things are cyclical," Cowher said, even though the past 10 years show a one-sided series between the conferences. "It will run its course. What it has led to is that a lot of the better records right now in the league [are in the AFC].

"I think that's why, heading into this weekend, their wild-card teams were all 6-6. We had about five teams 7-5. That's unfortunate for us, where we are right now, it's transferred into those numbers."

While the Panthers and Steelers reflect mutual disappointment this season, they are teams headed in different directions. Carolina got off to a 4-2 start but has lost its past three and starting quarterback Jake Delhomme could miss his second consecutive game with a thumb injury. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger missed his time early and the Steelers were 2-6 before they won four of their past five.

"When they pick you to do this and pick you to do that, that doesn't matter; you still have to go out there and play the game," Steelers linebacker Joey Porter said. "A lot of times they pick people they think will do this or do that and it never pans out. At the same time, that situation they have over there is different from ours."
    The panthers were overrated this year just like every other year. Somebody in the media always picks them every year as the preseason favorite and every year they dissapoint.

Regardless though, it seems no matter how times I try to not think about what could have been this season for us, it constantly creeps back into my mind and just drives me nuts thinking about how many games we gave away...

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I woke up this morning dreaming that this game was already played. Thank God it was only a dream. Carolina beat us 17-6
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

I hope you have a better dream than that Capt because that's not cool!

It's funny how things can change in a hurry, these two teams have had injuries all season long, which have cost them chances of at least returning to the playoffs. For the Steelers it was of course something a little more than injuries but we have already beat that to death!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We should be able to beat this team. They are banged up and haven't been playing well lately at all. Weinke threw for over 400 yds and they lost so if he starts again I would image they'll try to air it out against us since they have no running game to speak of. If we pressure jake or chris successfully all day long we can come out of there with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I woke up this morning dreaming that this game was already played. Thank God it was only a dream. Carolina beat us 17-6
    Sounds like Capt's making an early entry for the karma thread.

Anyway, I like the Panthers. They remind me of the Steelers, with the philosophy of great defense, a good running game, and stretching the field when you pass. I was really hoping for a Steelers/Panthers Super Bowl, because the outcome would either be good, or slightly less good.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information