My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Ben is happy to be starting

Looks like he's ready to go !

Roethlisberger happy to be starting
    Friday, August 11, 2006

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger has said all during training camp that he wants to start against the Arizona Cardinals in tomorrow's preseason game.

And on Thursday, word came that he is getting his wish when coach Bill Cowher announced he will start the game.

"That was my goal, to get out there and show everybody I was ready to get out and play," Roethlisberger said. "We'll see what happens.

"I don't know what the play calls are going to be, if they're going to be all runs or all passes. I'm just going to be excited to be able to get out there and take that first snap."

Roethlisberger's playing time will be limited, but it will be a big step for him after suffering injuries in a motorcycle accident just two months ago. One of the big questions will be how he reacts to any hits, but the goal is to now put him in a situation where he doesn't have to worry about that.

"I'm always apprehensive about getting hit, regardless if I was in an accident or not," said Roethlisberger. "The best protection I have is my offensive linemen and I have all of the confidence in the world in them that they will protect me and hopefully I won't take any hits this week.

"Everyone talks about how it will be good to take a first hit. But, if we can avoid it, that will be the best thing to do until the season starts."

In addition to playing himself, Roethlisberger is looking forward to seeing how his teammates do out there. Charlie Batch will be the number two quarterback, with Shane Boyd and Omar Jacobs following him. After working in camp for two weeks, Roethlisberger wants to see them in game action.

"There will be a lot of guys I am looking forward to see how they go out and perform," said Roethlisberger. "It will be good to see a lot of the receivers and how the quarterbacks do. It will be a time for a lot of guys to be able to shine."

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    well reports i've read say that right side has been kinda ******, so they better step up if they don't want ben to get hit lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm sure none of the linemen want to be the first one to let somebody hit Ben so they should step it up while he's in. I'm just glad he's starting! That's a good sign.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    yeah i love that he's starting, i just want him to get one throw in, and then just hand it off to willie the rest of the series and then get on the sidelines.......we play the eagles in 2 weeks right??? if so that's when i want him to get more action cause that game is scheduled to be on espn lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    According to WTAJ-TV 10 Based out of Altoona, Roethlisberger is expected to only play 1 maybe 2 series today against the Cardinals. I'd say by Philly Pre-Season Start getting him used to playing a full quarter or 2.

Thread Information