Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Jason Worilds start at defensive end??

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    saints-hater

Could Jason Worilds start at defensive end??

I know he played some D-end at Virginia Tech and he lined up at defensive end yesterday on 3rd down plenty of times after Smith got hurt and was very disruptive, and of course had the huge play and hit on Henne on 4th and 6 at the end of the game which caused the turnover on downs and sealed the Steelers win. My point is would Worilds be a better option then Eason or Hood at starting at defensive end because of his speed and his ability to get to the QB?? I think with the loss of Smith and this D-line already being shorthanded and Ziggy not being a sure thing Tomlin definitely should and needs to consider it. He must have thought a lot of Jason Worilds if he had him out there on 4th down with the game on the line yesterday in Miami.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He was lined up there more out of necessity than anything else as I understand it. Lebeau was running out of bodies to rotate in during the game so he was resorting to playing Worilds there at times and putting Timmons outside, and bringing Foote inside. I don't really see him doing any significant reps there in the future unless there are more injuries during the game or unless Lebeau has some new wrinkle up his sleeve. Just my :02:

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well he could drop down and rush the passer when the Steelers go to their nickel packages....But a base 3-4 defense noway Worilds can play DE.....3-4 DE's weigh anywhere from 280-300 pounds.....He would get pounded and worn out playing DE in a base 3-4.......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I agree 32, in situational circumstances they could line him or Woodley up there, or any other LB. But long term there's no way they'd survive. They would get swallowed up by the Guard and Tackle and become non factors. Whereas guys like Keisel and Smith who are built to play DE in the 34, can hold their ground when needed or get off blocks and make plays.

lol hed get murdered.

my knock on worilds was that he couldnt finish plays and that he was the guy that always almost got there....thats what he was yesterday. he showed a beastly first step and some great balance, but he will be liability against the run and theres no way he could be anything more than a situational pass rusher at this point

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol hed get murdered.

my knock on worilds was that he couldnt finish plays and that he was the guy that always almost got there....thats what he was yesterday. he showed a beastly first step and some great balance, but he will be liability against the run and theres no way he could be anything more than a situational pass rusher at this point
    I agree with K...I like him better at outside LB i believe Dick did that yesterday because of the Humidity i would bet that was the only reason he played DE yesterday, he is fast as hell though he kinda of reminds me of a young Timmons...

Who's the best option??? Do we have that guy on the roster??

Quote Originally Posted by SIXBURGH View Post
    I agree with K...I like him better at outside LB i believe Dick did that yesterday because of the Humidity i would bet that was the only reason he played DE yesterday, he is fast as hell though he kinda of reminds me of a young Timmons...
    think joey porter when you watch worilds play.

woodley could play DE but wed have to run a 4 man front and hood bumped inside he could be effective

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I like Worilds' initial moves to get past the Tackle yesterday, but Henne was able to slide up and over and elude him to get the pass off. It wasn't just him though, that was the problem all day, no pressure up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I like Worilds' initial moves to get past the Tackle yesterday, but Henne was able to slide up and over and elude him to get the pass off. It wasn't just him though, that was the problem all day, no pressure up the middle.
    up the middle... Blitz farrior? too slow this year?? Need more young speed.

Gibson, Worilds, Sly, Fox.. age may be forcing some changes this year.

Thread Information