Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers best with a bit of Ben

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers best with a bit of Ben

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483595.html

Ben Roethlisberger's completion rate the last two games is a pedestrian 50 percent. But the Steelers appear to be at their best when Roethlisberger plays like he did in leading them to wins over the Buccaneers and the Browns.

Or, put another way, when he is not throwing the ball all over the place as if he were playing in a backyard football game.

Roethlisberger has thrown a combined 46 passes the last two games - he had 54 pass attempts against Denver last month -- and he was nothing if not efficient in victories that pushed the Steelers' record 6-7.

Roethlisberger's numbers weren't gaudy in either game, but a closer look at them is revealing.

He completed 63 percent of the third-down passes he threw and hit on 6 of 9 such throws in a 27-7 win over the Browns on Thursday.

What made that all the more is impressive is the fact that Roethlisberger didn't have Hines Ward (knee) and Cedrick Wilson (ankle) at his disposal because of injuries.

"A game like (the win over the Browns) gave him even more confidence in himself," Ward said of Roethlisberger. "Without our starting two receivers, a lot of pressure was really put on his shoulders to make the other guys better, and he did that."

Indeed, fill-in starters Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes combined for six receptions for 148 yards and a touchdown.

Roethlisberger also spread the ball around, completing passes to seven receivers for the second consecutive game.

Three of his third-down completions went to reserve tight end Jerame Tuman, Sean Morey, who plays primarily on special teams, and Walter Young, who had never caught an NFL pass going into the game.

Each covered at least 15 yards.

"I thought Ben did a great job," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said.

He played perhaps his best game of the season, considering the absence of Ward and conditions that were hardly conducive to throwing the ball.

The temperature was just above freezing at kickoff with the wind chill factored in, and a spirited wind added to the degree of difficulty to the passing game.

Roethlisberger made one of his prettiest throws of the season into the wind, dropping a pass over the left shoulder of Washington for a 49-yard touchdown.

"It was a heck of a throw," Cowher said.
    I'll take Ben at 50% completion any day as long as we keep winning. I don't care if Ben breaks any passing records, we do better when the running game is firing on all cylinders, the defese is pressuring the QB, and Ben is throwing to support the run mixed in some big plays. When we do that, we're controlling the game and the defense is softened up and exposed because they're committing more to the run so that leaves the DB's exposed to our WR's.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    we do better when our defense doesn't get scored all over.........i hope ppl don't look at this year and say see, ben can't throw and win......cause that's a bunch of bs....sure we win when we run more, but every team will win if they are running more.......ben has been forced to pass all season because some how we'd ended up digging ourselves in big holes.......
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure Ben will have his critics even more next year after the rough start we had, but if he finishes up strong that will silence them. It really doesnt matter though because you know we're going to be picked to finish 3rd in the AFCN next year regardless so we'll be able to get the last laugh and make them eat their words !

The big problem has been the running game can't get going on the road so the Steelers HAVE to resort to Ben slinging the ball all over the field! The last couple of games, although at home where Willie excels, have defined Steelers Football with the running game clicking. Of course it wasn't quite like the Browns game but it was there.

As long as Ben can keep his attempts down the Steelers are in good shape because then Ben feels he needs to make something happen, especially when Willie is stuck in the mud!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok I just want to beat my head into the ground when I read articles like this. Ok yes the Steelers have always been about running the ball and thats Steelers football. Thats why when Ben passes for 3,000 yards this year. That will be only the 7th time in a Steelers history that a QB has thrown for 3,000 years in a season. Thats sad.

The point I'm going to try to make is. Why take a QB in the first round if your never going to take advantage of his full talent? Sorry but I want Ben to be more then a game manager. You might as well just have kept getting QB's like Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak instead of wasting a first round pick on a QB.

Now I don't want the Steelers to become the greatest show on grass and fling the ball 50 times a game. But if Ben averages 30 pass attempts a game next year then I see no problems.

I think eventually the Steelers will use Ben as a prolific passer it's just a matter of getting the team built to do that. The defense has some holes that doesn't do well, especially in a shoot out! The o-line needs some work too because they've let Ben get hammered this year. Ben has shown he get the job done, but it's almost always been during the wrong time.

If the Steelers could come out every game like they did in the 05 playoffs that would be awesome! They just need to figure out how to establish the run to setup the pass and vise versa.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I think eventually the Steelers will use Ben as a prolific passer it's just a matter of getting the team built to do that. The defense has some holes that doesn't do well, especially in a shoot out! The o-line needs some work too because they've let Ben get hammered this year. Ben has shown he get the job done, but it's almost always been during the wrong time.

If the Steelers could come out every game like they did in the 05 playoffs that would be awesome! They just need to figure out how to establish the run to setup the pass and vise versa.
    Oh I agree bigtime that the Steelers better fix the Oline bigtime. But looking at the T.O.P. from last year and this year its not that a big of a difference. The turn overs have hurt the defense and giving the short field to the other teams offense all the time. So I do think the defense could handle the Steelers having a balanced offense. Thats all I want. I don't want to favor the pass or the run. Just have a balanced and turn over free offense. Of course I know this will never happen and there will be turn overs.

Just have a balanced and turn over free offense
    I want world peace!

j/k You covered yourself when you said it would never happen. One thing for sure, when the Steelers are clicking on all cylinders I don't think there is a team in the NFL who hang with them. I'm talking both sides of the ball!

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I want world peace!

j/k You covered yourself when you said it would never happen. One thing for sure, when the Steelers are clicking on all cylinders I don't think there is a team in the NFL who hang with them. I'm talking both sides of the ball!
    World peace would be nice and thats next on my list. I agree when the Steelers are clicking on both sides of the ball many teams in the NFL can't hang with them. The turn overs have killed us this year. Steelers rank in the top ten in total defense and offense this year.

If Ben stays healthy and with a better offensivel line the NFL better watch out next year. I think the defense will rebound especially if the Steelers inject some youth through the draft.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Don't let those top 10 stats mislead you. Our offense is up there because we have had too many games where we've had to throw the ball too much. Thats racks up yardage but doesn't show how good or bad we are. Same with the D. We've given up a lot of short fields this year and even though we haven't given up a lot of yards we haven't exactly stopped anyone in those short fields.
    I've seem glimpses of how good both sides of the ball can be this year but we aren't doing it every game. A lot of that is the way Willie runs and all the injuries we've had and not to mention the way the line has been playing most of the year.
    TOP can be misleading too. We give a team the ball at the 20 and they score with one play doesn't give them any time.

Thread Information