Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeler Week 6 Grades

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steeler Week 6 Grades

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...teelers#page/2

Quarterback Grade: B+

Ben made a terrible throw on his opening drive that was picked off by Browns rookie DB Joe Haden. Luckily the Steeler D held the Browns only to a field goal and Ben for the most part settled down and made good throws for most of the afternoon.

He still tried to force the ball a few times and could have been a little better, but all in all, 257 yards and 3 TD’s is a great day for the Steeler QB.

He could have had more if the Steelers didn’t resort to running the clock down in the second half.

Running Back Grade: B+

Rashard Mendenhall ended up with 84 yards and a TD on the day. At times he was busting off big runs, including a dandy spin move to get away from the line in the shadow of his end zone.

The kid keeps getting better and better, and has clearly been a driving force in the Steeler offense so far this season. Isaac Redman added 31 yards on 6 carries.

Wide Reciever/Tight End Grade: A

The wide receivers did a great job getting open downfield all game. Mike Wallace caught three passes for 90 yards and a TD.

Hines Ward had one of his typical TD’s by catching it short of the goal line then willing himself into the end zone.

Rookie Emmanuel Sanders had two nice receptions to convert 3rd downs. No complaints about this unit this week

Offensive Line Grade: A

The hogs up front did a good job clearing some running room for Mendenhall and Redman, and I think overall they did a good job blocking for Ben.

I didn’t see too many breakdowns other than on the plays where Ben held the ball too long trying to make a play. I think we’ve all learned who gets the blame for those.

Gotta give major props to Maurkice Pouncey yet again. I think people are forgetting he’s a rookie because he’s been so dominant this year.

Defensive Front Seven Grade: A-

The boys up front controlled the line of scrimmage for most of the afternoon.

Peyton Hillis was a non factor, just like every other running back the Steelers have faced this year.

James Harrison laid the thunder on some hits knocking both Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi out of the game.

5 sacks for this unit proved who was boss.

Secondary Grade: A

The secondary did a good job of containing the Browns from making big plays.

Ryan Clark showed good focus on the deflection to make a crucial interception early in the game.

Most of Cleveland’s offense came on YAC yardage off screens. But when push came to shove the Steeler D held.

Special Teams Grade: A

Jeff Reed didn’t miss an extra point,

Daniel Sepulveda pinned the Browns inside the twenty 4 times, and the coverage teams did a good job containing the Browns, including a fumble recovery on a muffed punt.

The only knock is that Randle El nearly lost another kick. Would be nice to actually see him actually return one every once in a while.
    Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 10-17-2010 at 07:46 PM.

My Mood
    no mood
    I think its pretty good. The team played well today, I think the defense gave up a few plays they usually don't.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ben gets an A from considering he was coming off a month suspension....I don't think the secondary gets an A..........considering James Harrison destroyed 2 of their WR's, in my opinion the secondary gave up to many plays.........Ben Watson was wide open for his TD and the other stooge Browns TE had some big catches which he was wide open.....

I give the secondary a B-......

OL gets an A for sure for no sacks.....Plus Ben didn't see much pressure.....There was some but not much.....a huge improvement in my opinion.....But you have a beast young center and Flo at RT those things should happen.......

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    .Ben Watson was wide open for his TD and the other stooge Browns TE had some big catches which he was wide open.....

The Watson TD was on Timmons, instead of holding coverage Timmons tried to make a play on McCoy

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    The Watson TD was on Timmons, instead of holding coverage Timmons tried to make a play on McCoy
    Your right Timmons peeled off when McCoy looked like he could take off with the ball......But still I thought the overall play of the secondary was spotty....Considering the Browns don't have the most elite WR's and TE's in the NFL.......

Something that needs to be addressed IMO is PR.. Randle El has muffed a punt two weeks in a row and even when he does return he never gains anything..

Defense got grades that were way too high. I was pretty frustrated seeing a rookie QB minus Josh Cribbs have a few pretty decent drives down the field. Every time we score an offensive TD the D takes a mini-vacation on the field. I've also noticed our D seems to struggle with the hurry up offense. LeBeau needs to address this.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    Defense got grades that were way too high. I was pretty frustrated seeing a rookie QB minus Josh Cribbs have a few pretty decent drives down the field. Every time we score an offensive TD the D takes a mini-vacation on the field. I've also noticed our D seems to struggle with the hurry up offense. LeBeau needs to address this.
    I get that they play to not give up the big plays, and that's fine, except when teams start to figure it out and begin to throw 7 yard passes every play.

I'd also lower the special team grade. They could be much better on the returns.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think I'd give the secondary an A. They left plays on the field and appeared to be allowing too much open in the flat on those sideline routes. I know a Lebeau defense calls for the DB's to give a cushion a lot of the time but there were plays yesterday were they were so far off or seemingly out of position and ended up giving up big 3rd down conversions. The pass rush was getting to McCoy for most of the day and they were knocking him around pretty well, which is key to secondary play for any team. I don't think they had a bad outing necessarily but there was definitely room for improvement and perhaps alittle rust after the week off.

Thread Information